Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I carry a pt145 and have wrestled with this question for awhile. Way I see it the pros to having one in the chamber is quicker than having to rack the slide, but you add the risk of an accidental fire (I use the safety when one is in the chamber, but it is a mechanical part which can fail). But without one in the chamber you have the bonus of almost no possiblility of an accidental fire, but need both hands and there is that extra step needed to fire the gun under duress.

So, what do all you people out there that carry do?

·
Super Moderator
40,554 Posts
One in the chamber, keep the finger off the trigger, use a holster that covers the trigger. I tend not to use the mechanical safety on any gun.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
On you self defense gun, or CCW, one in the chamber. You may not have time to rack the slide. If they are not your SD or CCW, either way is fine.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Do you wait until the crash to put your seat belt ON?? :D

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Why give the bad guy a one shot head start?

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
God forbid, if I ever have to unholster my firearm to defend my life,
the person attempting to do me ill will, will not have to hear me racking the slide.
There will be no need for that. One round piped, always!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
PT1911? Cocked and locked, round chambered, of course.
CZ? One in the chamber also, hammer decocked (it has a decocker but not a safety).

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Always one in the chamber, cocked & locked depending on the gun. Since you're carrying a 145, it should have a heavy enough DA trigger pull to act as a second safety. A secure and well made holster is a must too, covering the trigger and having a strong retention strap does wonders to prevent any negligent discharges. But as we all know, the best safety is between your ears, so everyone has to make the judgement on how to carry for themselves.

Reactions: 45 Forever and Wino

·
Registered
481 Posts
No matter what I am carrying--always one in the tube ready to go out the door. The only way to fly

·
Super Moderator
21,586 Posts
One in the chamber for your carry gun all the time. It takes to much time to rack the slide attacks happen vary fast and normally from behind you will not have time or even the use of the other arm if your taken down. Your gun is safe if you use the safety and have a good holster that covers the trigger. Keep you finger off the trigger and you should be good to go.

Reactions: dbeardslee

·
Registered
977 Posts
If you dont carry one in the chamber you might as well leave the damn thing home.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
what everyone else said.

If you're not comfortable carrying with one in the tube, wear it around the house unloaded for a while until you figure out that the gun is safer than you! Keep the booger hook off the bang switch and make sure you have a good holster, and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, one in the chamber it is. I have carried that way since I got my ccw but it came up in a conversation I was having recently, and frankly hadn't considered carrying without one chambered. So just wanted to see what you guys thought about it.

Message received loud and clear.

Reactions: Shokr21

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
+1 for one in the pipe. Waiting for the double barrel 1911 to be available and then it'll be two in the pipe.

·
Registered
8,799 Posts
Absolutely chambered, ready to roll.:thumb:

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Ask George Zimmerman if he had time to rack his Kel-Tec when Trayvon Martin was on top of him bashing his head into the sidewalk.

One in the chamber of a carry weapon, and use the safety on your PT 145.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.