Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any chronographed data on either a 9mm or .357mag Taurus snubby? I'm interested in bullet weights from 115gr to 135gr.

I've read that .357mag doesn't generate the high velocities out of a 2 inch barrel and that the 9mm will. But no direct comparisons are given.

I'm in the market for a snubby right now, and I'd like to buy the one with the highest proven velocity with factory ammo. Recoil is not an issue (for now anyway). I can't seem to find any article that compares them in revolvers with 2 inch barrels.

What do you think?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I believe you will find regardless of barrel length the .357 mag has more velocity and energy than the 9 mm in any comparison, Whether or not shorter barrels waste the .357's power, however, is a moot question. A 125 grain HP from a snub .357 DOES have more power than a similar size one exiting from a 9 mm barrel. Comes down to preference for autos or revolvers; there are a few 9 mm revolvers, too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I've been to that site. Lots of good info.

I'm really only looking for firsthand chronographed data on 2" revolvers. I believe the cylinder gap to be a significant factor in the velocities achieved.

I've read many opinions on this and I even have my own, but none of it matters unless backed up with hard factual data. I've searched for quite a while to find actual data and haven't found any. That's why I've asked on the forum.

·
Super Moderator
35,081 Posts
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=1612.0

Add to this, best velocity I've gotten out of a 3" 9mm round is a very hot +P pushing a 115 grain XTP JHP with 6.5 grains of Unique to 1262 fps/410 ft lbs or there abouts. Out of a 2" revolver, I'd expect under 400, maybe 370 ft lbs of energy.

You will notice that 140 grains and greater bullet weights work better in short barrel .357s. A faster powder would work better with a 125 grain JHP. I'm getting 551 ft lbs energy, 1330 or some such fps with a 140 grain bullet from a 2.25" barrel snub. There ain't a 9mm on earth that can compete with that, however, they're a lot easier on the ears and eyes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very interesting. I wish I had both so I could chronograph them myself!

But, I need to stick to factory loads as I don't reload and my new snub would be for self defense.

·
Registered
77 Posts
145 silvertips from 2 1/4 inch ported 605 = 1080fps
147 ranger t from 2 inch 905 = 990fps
I've never chronoed lighter bullets from 905 but i expect simalar differences

·
Super Moderator
35,081 Posts
That 145 silvertip ain't a lot hotter than my 140 grain speer .38 special +P handload. 11.5 grains 2400 out of a 2" Taurus M85UL is pushing 931 fps/270 ft lbs. Makes me feel a little better about that load. LOL

·
Registered
77 Posts
glad to make ya feal warm and fuzzy.but i might add that silvertip load is 375 ft lbs 28% more and does expand quite nicely at this velocity.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I shot a few rounds of CCI Blazer 115gr aluminum cased 9mm ammo through my Taurus 905 snubbie and got an avg. velocity of 1,122fps.

·
Registered
37 Posts
joe777107 said:
I believe the cylinder gap to be a significant factor in the velocities achieved.
That's what I used to think too. I have since found out it makes a negligible difference.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts