Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got dumped with about 12" of snow in the last 8 hours, I've spent most of it outside running the blower. I drive a 2003 Pontiac Bonneville in the freakin' Upper Peninsula of Michigan ... call me stupid, you're not wrong. I got stuck 4 times trying to go a block!!! Oh well, guess that's why I've got reverse and 1 or 2 low ...

Drifting to about 40" right now, my blower won't even cut through some of them and I've got a fancy Pro Series Airens! Built-in hand warmers, and headlight.

PS: Needed to vent, and needed time for the Carhartt's to run through the dryer.
PPS: Shot my best 12-shot group today, 3" group at 7 with the PT111, Cor-Bon! Few boxes came in Friday and wanted to try it out, since it's my new carry load. Love it!

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I'd rather have a bunch of snow than the frequent arctic blasts that keep sliding through the area. I'm seeing way too much brown grass where there was snow recently. All that sub zero crap can quit any time.

I've got a decent snow blower (knee high intake) and a Jeep so I'm not too concerned about snow. I've also got a "cab" on my blower that makes it much nicer when the wind is still blowing. Here's one thats similar to what I have but this one is over priced. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...parentType=index&indexId=cat601081&hasJS=true

So, here's a forum related question. How many guns were you carrying when you dealt with the snow and could you have accessed any of them in a reasonable amount of time? I have a snubbie in an outer coat pocket when I'm blowing snow for ease of access.

Steelheart

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm down in the lower penninsula (Grand Rapids area) and we've dealt with rain and slush all day today - simply making all the snow that we have into slush and ice. I haven't needed a snow blower yet, and I have an 06 Durango 4x4, so I've never worried about snow. As I told a buddy during the last foot of snowfall - I drive a 5000 pound truck with four wheel drive - I don't worry about snowfall :)

I feel for you...

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
We did have snow here in my part of Kentucky but nothing like you had to contend with in Michigan. The worst blow we've recently been dealt though by mother nature wasn't snow or ice but the tornadoes that ripped through here, Arkansas, Tennessee and Alabama a couple of weeks back.

I've had them in and around me before here and also saw two up close and personal in North Dakota in 1999. If I never have another experience again like the one in ND in my entire life, that would suit me fine.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I haven't even looked out the door today. TV said it was bad this morning so I am still in my pj's 13 hours later.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I feel for you Steel ... we had the sub-zero crap and I work outside in it (work for UPS, our garage has a few trailers that are outside and guess where I work). We also get the rain/snow crap anytime it gets above 20, it sucks! Supposta see like 5 more inches, at least heavy drifting all through the night. The roads have been plowed 3 times, I guess.

I'm gonna ditch the car for an F250 (hopefully) or a Silverado 1500 in the next week ...

We haven't had a Tornado since '89 (county-wide I think). Week or two of 90's in the summer, few weeks of zub-zero in the winter, great hunting all year round and same can be said for fishing. Boring as hell, but then again I'm a young guy.

To the 'related' question, I have an inside pocket in my Carhartt jacket (left inner, fits my Uncle Mike's holster) aswell as a piece of a leather belt I had my ex sew into my left sleeve that clips my holster on the inside of my left arm - on the arm, but sits about mid-bicep with my arm at my side. That's how I carry snowmobiling and snowblowing :)

·
32,533 Posts
Southeast Wisconsin went form 13 snowiest on record ever ... to 5th place yesterday...... and there is 3- 6 more inches on the way. That should place this area to #1 after this latest round.

My neighbor who is in his early 70s bought a roof rake to take the snow off. Never before has he had to do it in his lifetime.

We're also getting subzero 12-30 degrees below zero windchill before ,sometimes during, but mostly after the storms pass through that were all this year.... blizzard conditions. Icing like you wouldn't believe. This on everything.
Winter's mystic and fun got way over old several weeks ago.

The groundhog in Sun Prairie, Wi. supposedly didn't see his shadow this year.
Heck.... it was encased in a block of ice.

Hears a laugh. This belongs in the joke section, but the e Global Warming idiots came up with two new "we're all gonna die" scenarios just this week.

1. Polar bears are moving south and having mortal combat with the grizzily bears over territory and food. Problem with that is the pack ice is in place( all of it), the polar bears are feasting on seals as always, the migration hasn't taken place as advertised, and the temps are for the most part where they are supposed to be for arctic winters.

2. All the sharks are supposedly headed for Antartica (because of hotter temps.... their the same as always folks) and going to eat all the rare protected animals. Fact: There are plenty shark species migrate over vast quantities of ocean and the ones who do are following normal patterns they have for thousands of years. Fact: The sharks do this on a regular basis and no real mass migration has happened. Nor could they savage all the wildlife. There are many other facts that don't back up the claims by the Global Warming types.

So throw another log on the fire and turn those furnaces up, folks.
Can't wait for more comedy.

Wisconsin has a influx of varmints called politicians because of the primary this week.

Must be the cause of all the snow with all those hot air drafts rising from the speeches at such high velocity.

·
32,533 Posts
Taurus_9mm. Until this election stuff is over you won't be able to claim the title " Sit Down Comic". The politicos, their speeches, and actions have trumped you for the time being in the funny department. Who the heck can compete with those ludicrous shenanigans?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Down in S.E. MI we got a lot of rain and 42* on top of ice that did not melt do to the temp, but did get very slick do to the rain. Made for an interesting day at my mom's and step fathers watching car after car go into the ditches in front of there house.

·
Administrator
17,826 Posts
We got freezing Rain yesterday, on top of the 18 inches of Snow we already have on the ground. My back patio and driveway are now Ice Rinks. We're going sub-zero for the next few days, so no hope of a Melt-Off, soon!

As for the Politicians, they're Funny........and Scary! Just like some Clowns!

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Qwiks draw said:
Taurus_9mm. Until this election stuff is over you won't be able to claim the title " Sit Down Comic". The politicos, their speeches, and actions have trumped you for the time being in the funny department. Who the heck can compete with those ludicrous shenanigans?
Oh I know. :D Between the antics of Hillary-ious and Obama I don't stand a snowball's chance in hades.

jwc007 said:
As for the Politicians, they're Funny........and Scary! Just like some Clowns!
Couldn't have said it better myself jwc007. :D

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Qwiks draw said:
.....Hears a laugh. This belongs in the joke section, but the e Global Warming idiots came up with two new "we're all gonna die" scenarios just this week.

1. Polar bears are moving south and having mortal combat with the grizzily bears over territory and food. Problem with that is the pack ice is in place( all of it), the polar bears are feasting on seals as always, the migration hasn't taken place as advertised, and the temps are for the most part where they are supposed to be for arctic winters....
Well, we can hope that this one happens and that the whiny tree-huggers who are so concerned about this try and break up the fights (if you are just whiny I don't care and not all tree-huggers are concerned about this)....

Steelheart

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
what happened to all the global warming?its funny they dont talk about it in the winter.and this winter has been one of the coldest on record(that is what they just said on the news).

·
Administrator
39,735 Posts
You guys ever seen sand and snow mix? A couple of weeks ago the wind was pretty high here, so the sand was blowing,(not to uncommon) next thing I know, there's blowing sand and snow. All said and done I ended up with about 1/8th inch of dust in the ol' rain gauge. :drool:

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Hey RW, a blower is the thing we use to clear the live oak leaves off of the drive in March.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
We feel bad for you Smokewagon. :rolleyes:
-13 here this morning. -30 windchill.
Oh I forgot. You probably don't know what windchill is down there.

·
32,533 Posts
No, but Mother Nature has been most unkind and brutal to many of us. This no matter where in the nation we're all located.

Blowing sand snow is just amongst the other many oddities and goofiness that has happened in overabundance this year.

Might be a good idea to take as a message from a higher authority in some ways and ignore it in others. Earth's always been a harsh place to exist. Scientists remind us that the planet is going through a quiet period while man's been on Earth. Man is not going through a quiet time with all the major and minor conflicts and wars going on. We're about to get engulfed in another.
Russia has gone back to Communism(Putin's seen to that and dictator for life) and Russia/China just have been telling us they will bury us again. Russia just claimed the Arctic region, all of it, for themselves. They planted a flag under the Arctic just recently.

During the dinosaur ruling periods regular daytime temps were in the 120 degree plus F. on a regular basis. So we're all going to get slapped by nature from time to time. Possibly for extended periods. It's the nature of the beast. History shows this.

Not trying to be a pessimist, but reality has a way of hitting hard whether we all want to notice it or not. Not all the time, though.
:)

·
Administrator
39,735 Posts
Blowing sand and snow is not an oddity nor goofiness here. It just happens. Always has and always will. Matter of routine. O0

1 - 20 of 21 Posts