Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious guys; I was practicing with snap caps today 38/357 and I got to thinking???

How long have I had these? hmmm? It's been 2 or 3 years I guess. How many times have I pulled the trigger? hmmm? I really don't know, quite a few I suppose.

My question is, how long (how many rounds do they last)? I never gave it much thought.

Do you replace yours after a certain amount of rounds or do they last forever? I really haven't a clue..

OK folks, what's your opinion/advise?

Best wishes to all!

Lee...

Reactions: muddcatt54

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is what mine look like, bought at Academy...

Drink

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
I've never replaced any of mine. The only ones I even thought about checking were for .22's. They are more subject to wear in a rim fire gun, but I never saw the need to replace. (Been a while since I last checked. I'll take a look. Thanks!)

·
Super Moderator
20,085 Posts
I use the A-Zoom brand, have so for ~ 9 years and still going strong. Something with hard plastic pieces might crack over time but the silicon based rubbery stuff should last forever.

Reactions: ICUKev and leejack

·
Registered
220 Posts
Never replaced mine so far... but i have different ones

Reactions: leejack

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Since I reload, I make my own. They are easy to make, just like a dummy round. Unprimed case, seat bullet normal, then fill primer pocket with hot glue. These things last forever, you just need to replace the hot glue when it starts chunking out, usually after thousands of uses.

Sometimes when I want to check feeding, like with a new bullet type, or a new gun, I will make some at max COL and some at Min COL. If it is experiencing feeding issues at max COL I can shorten until it feeds correctly and that pretty much nails down the COL for that bullet. I may run it through several guns just to make sure it feeds reliably in all of them.

In a new pistol, I like to dry fire through several thousand cycles just to make sure I am comfortable and proficient with that trigger. I have heard of people using pencil erasers in the primer pocket but I find the hot glue does the best job and generally lasts the longest, NTM it is much easier to replace the hot glue, just squirt it in place and trim flush after it cools.

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
I seldom use snap caps except in my .22's. Most modern center fire guns don't really require the use of snap caps during dry fire exercises - hammer fired or striker fired. YMMV

Reactions: leejack and ICUKev

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
I would imagine that unless it's broken, you wouldn't need to replace them?

Reactions: leejack

·
Registered
20 Posts
Been using the same snap caps for years. Didn’t think they ever wore out. I’ve also made caps from resized brass and a resilient rubber material for a primer.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome to the forum Clem!

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Welcome Clem! I have never replaced any snap cap other than those for .22 LR. I think I've lost more of those little buggers from them falling out when racking the slide and watching them jump out of the gun only to land somewhere....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts