Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
35,622 Posts
Looks like that flat black matte maybe, the type that Taurus gets slammed for. I think a truly blued gun is likely a thinking of the past, unless Ruger is still doing it, but I don't think they do either.

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
The first one says it is highly polished blued.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
"The revolver dons a highly polished, blued finish and traditional thumbpiece for a classic look."

That's straight from the website posted above.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The first one says it is highly polished blued.
"The revolver dons a highly polished, blued finish and traditional thumbpiece for a classic look."

That's straight from the website posted above.
This is also from the website:

Specifications SKU: 12040
Model: Model 19 Classic
Caliber: 357 Magnum, 38 S&W SPECIAL +P
Capacity: 6
Barrel Length: 4.25" / 10.8 cm
Overall Length: 9.9"
Front Sight: Red Ramp
Rear Sight: Black Blade Adjustable
Action: Single/Double Action

Grip: Custom Wood
Weight: 37.2 oz / 1,054.6g
Cylinder Material: Carbon Steel
Barrel Material: Stainless Steel

Frame Material: Carbon Steel
Purpose: Enthusiast, Home Protection, Personal Protection, Recreational Shooting
Tell me how they're 'blueing" a stainless steel barrel?

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
This is also from the website:

Tell me how they're 'blueing" a stainless steel barrel?
Oh, I'm not arguing. It just looks blued and says they blued it.

I don't mean this in a sarcastic way, but it really doesn't matter to me one way or the other. They are nice guns that I'll never be able to afford.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, I'm not arguing. It just looks blued and says they blued it.

I don't mean this in a sarcastic way, but it really doesn't matter to me one way or the other. They are nice guns that I'll never be able to afford.
Yeah, all of the manufacturers are describing their guns as "blue" but they're really not.

I'm old and I remember; and have guns to remind me, what a "blued" gun looks like.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Truly blued guns take a lot of manual work to get right. Any little imperfection stands out really bad. Its cost prohibitive in my opinion.

I'd rather have a relatively affordable S&W, than another fine gun, that prices itself out of the market from the get go.

Good for S&W. Colt too with their new 38 they introduced.

·
Registered
7,175 Posts
​It's got the "Hillary Hole", NO THANKS!

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
S&W does tensioned barrels now, I believe. The barrel is a tube running through the shroud, and locked at the muzzle with a recessed nut kind of thing. The shroud can be blued, and the barrel stainless. They are separate components. Or I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
S&W does tensioned barrels now, I believe. The barrel is a tube running through the shroud, and locked at the muzzle with a recessed nut kind of thing. The shroud can be blued, and the barrel stainless. They are separate components. Or I could be wrong.
Are you sure you're not thinking of Dan Wesson?

They've been doing that for years.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
1. Bluing is possible on stainless. They discovered something called Oxynate No. 84. Or at least it gives the appearance of true bluing even if chemically it's not exactly the same.

"In the past, it was almost impossible for the general gun- smithing or bluing shop to blue stainless steel guns successfully. Now, with Oxynate No. 84, we have a superior formulation for stainless bluing that has met and passed all of our demands and requirements. It has worked on all the popular guns (S&W’s, Rugers, and virtually every type of stainless we could find), and even does a mighty good job on Cast Irons. It is predictable, repeatable, reliable and easy to operate. Blue an action or frame with a stainless barrel in No. 84 first, then go into the No. 7™ tank to blue the action or frame. The whole process is explained in the instructions."

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/metal-prep-coloring/metal-bluing/bluing-salts/oxynate-no-84-hot-chemical-bluing-compound-prod1103.aspx

2. S&W does use a two piece barrel, though not user-changeable. Though they don't all look alike.

download.jpg

fullsizeoutput_501-1024x678.jpeg

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1. Bluing is possible on stainless. They discovered something called Oxynate No. 84. Or at least it gives the appearance of true bluing even if chemically it's not exactly the same.

"In the past, it was almost impossible for the general gun- smithing or bluing shop to blue stainless steel guns successfully. Now, with Oxynate No. 84, we have a superior formulation for stainless bluing that has met and passed all of our demands and requirements. It has worked on all the popular guns (S&W’s, Rugers, and virtually every type of stainless we could find), and even does a mighty good job on Cast Irons. It is predictable, repeatable, reliable and easy to operate. Blue an action or frame with a stainless barrel in No. 84 first, then go into the No. 7 tank to blue the action or frame. The whole process is explained in the instructions."

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/metal-prep-coloring/metal-bluing/bluing-salts/oxynate-no-84-hot-chemical-bluing-compound-prod1103.aspx

2. S&W does use a two piece barrel, though not user-changeable. Though they don't all look alike.

View attachment 413305

View attachment 413313
Both of those things are very interesting. I haven't played with a new Smith and Wesson so I had no idea that they were doing that.

Have you ever seen a stainless steel gun blued with that stuff?

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Have you ever seen a stainless steel gun blued with that stuff?
Just one that I know of, and it was a custom job. It looked blued to me. I've owned enough blued Colts and S&W's to know what it's supposed to look like. It was no Colt, which I consider the finest blued finishes I've ever seen, but equal to S&W. That's not a criticism of S&W. Just the difference between perfect and fantastic.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just one that I know of, and it was a custom job. It looked blued to me. I've owned enough blued Colts and S&W's to know what it's supposed to look like. It was no Colt, which I consider the finest blued finishes I've ever seen, but equal to S&W. That's not a criticism of S&W. Just the difference between perfect and fantastic.
Cool

Sent from my P00C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
​It's got the "Hillary Hole", NO THANKS!
Ditto. And if they still have the quality control problem I have seen with recent Smith and Wesson products I have seen, that is DEFINITE no thanks !!!

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I own several of the newer S&W revolvers with the two piece barrels. I find them to be much more accurate than the older ones in general, although my favorite is an old steel framed deep blue pre-lock j-frame.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts