Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brown Air gun Trigger Wood Revolver

This Model 459 was my first S&W auto purchase. It was a nice LEO trade-in. Used, but appeared to be well cared for. The Pachmayr grip was not to my liking. Too fat for me, so I replaced them with its original black Nylons.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Wood

Since it was clean, I loaded a mag with some inert rounds, did a satisfactory function test, then cased it for a trip to the range.
Revolver Office equipment Eyewear Trigger Goggles

I ran all types of my reloads through this pistol, as well as some factory fodder. It digested everything I fed it except for some 158gr. LSWC sub sonic loads meant for my Blackhawk convertible. I don't know how many rounds it barked out that session, but it was filthy enough for a good cleaning and inspection. That's when I discovered its busted ejector. It's plainly seen in the second pic, but I didn't catch it.
Revolver Bullet Trigger Wood Everyday carry

Even with a broken ejector, this pistol was fully functional.
Font Electric blue Symbol Auto part Metal

Anyway. I was impressed.

·
Administrator
18,636 Posts
Congratulations on your new-to-you S&W 459 and may it serve you well! :cool: :)

I've owned and had experience with the metal framed S&W Semi-Auto Pistols and they are generally rugged, accurate, and reliable.
First, Second, and Third Generation S&W 9mm Semi-Autos served the Illinois State Police for many years prior to the agency going to the .40 Glock 22.
Ejector breakage is not an uncommon occurrence with Pistols fed a diet of +P and +P+ 9mm ammunition.

New Recoil and Firing Pin Springs might be a good idea.

·
9,354 Posts
Nice Gen 2 Smith. I owned a 59, 915, and currently own a sweet 5906.

·
Super Moderator
39,243 Posts
Congratulations on the new sidearm!

Reactions: Lomax

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Congratulations on your new-to-you S&W 459 and may it serve you well! :cool: :)
I may have mislead a few folks into believing this was a new purchase, but it's actually been guarding my desk for quite some time. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I do like S&W a lot.

Photograph White Air gun Trigger Wood

S&W revolvers are also fun to have.
Revolver Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel

·
Registered
40 Posts
View attachment 484046
This Model 459 was my first S&W auto purchase. It was a nice LEO trade-in. Used, but appeared to be well cared for. The Pachmayr grip was not to my liking. Too fat for me, so I replaced them with its original black Nylons.
View attachment 484047
Since it was clean, I loaded a mag with some inert rounds, did a satisfactory function test, then cased it for a trip to the range.
View attachment 484049
I ran all types of my reloads through this pistol, as well as some factory fodder. It digested everything I fed it except for some 158gr. LSWC sub sonic loads meant for my Blackhawk convertible. I don't know how many rounds it barked out that session, but it was filthy enough for a good cleaning and inspection. That's when I discovered its busted ejector. It's plainly seen in the second pic, but I didn't catch it.
View attachment 484050
Even with a broken ejector, this pistol was fully functional.
View attachment 484052

Anyway. I was impressed.
I have a model 59 that my wife has claimed. She loves it. I will add some pictures latter. Other then tear down it it is a great pistol.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Reactions: Old_Sp5

·
Registered
635 Posts
This 745 was an absolute peach. Why I let it go is beyond me.
View attachment 484701

My least favorite S&W of all was the 1st year M&P45.
View attachment 484702

Oddly enough, I had the S&W 645 for awhile as a service gun (my department didn't and still doesn't issue firearms of any kind)...disliked it and went to a Sig Sauer P220.

I had the S&W M&P 1.0 45 ACP and let it go...there was a problem with the magazine followers and not locking back on the final round, however, I liked the gun quite a bit...accurate and a joy to shoot. In the hunt for a 2.0 45 ACP at the moment. I found these:

Smith & Wesson M&p45 M2.0 Police Trade In (never Issued) - For Sale - New :: Guns.com

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have several 1st & 3rd gen smiths. I want a 2nd gen, and a 1st gen 39. Yours is definitely on my wish list.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Another S&W auto I favor is the Model 469 mini.

Air gun Trigger Grey Gun barrel Gun accessory

Reactions: jwc007
1 - 14 of 14 Posts