Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

Forgive me as I am not terribly familiar with the Smith & Wesson M&P line of riles. I have not had a chance to even shoot one; however, my father-in-law recently won one in an auction. Are these uppers interchangeable like a standard AR or did Smith & Wesson make some tiny tweak such that you can't throw on an aftermarket upper? Again, forgive me if this seems obvious but my research (though limited) did not yield much results and I figured someone on this place has the experience and knowledge I need.

Thanks guys.

·
22,058 Posts
I have an M&P 15 but not the .22. I have several friends that have the .22 and I do
not believe anything is interchangeable. The .22 is an animal of its own.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never dealt with or shot a .22 caliber AR, so I really have no idea what this rifle is like. My .22s have always been a simple bolt action rifle, so I am really out of my league, so I figured I would ask. Thank you, though.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Gents,

Forgive me as I am not terribly familiar with the Smith & Wesson M&P line of riles. I have not had a chance to even shoot one; however, my father-in-law recently won one in an auction. Are these uppers interchangeable like a standard AR or did Smith & Wesson make some tiny tweak such that you can't throw on an aftermarket upper? Again, forgive me if this seems obvious but my research (though limited) did not yield much results and I figured someone on this place has the experience and knowledge I need.

Thanks guys.

Congratulations to your F-I-L,

I have both a 15-22 and a M&P15 so I will see if I can answer your question. A standard AR upper will fit on a 15-22 but it will not function. While the 15-22 lower has many std AR parts, Grip, Stock, Trigger group, Safety, Mag release and pins it is truly a dedicated 22 lower. The buffer tube is not hollow, so there is no place for the buffer or recoil spring as in a std AR, also it is made of composite material and while they make some std. ARs with composite lowers, I don't think the 15-22 has the required strength to handle the 5.56 even if it would work.
I have had my 15-22 for a few years now and it has been a great gun, it's lightweight, accurate and very reliable. My only dislike was the heavy factory trigger but a $8 JP spring set helped a bunch and didn't break the bank.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
It sounds like Stallard's answer is pretty spot on. You can't put a 5.56 upper on a M&P 15-22 lower. I'm not sure if any other dedicated .22 uppers would work or not, but then again, I don't know why you would want to do that. The M&P15-22 is just about the best dedicated .22 AR you can buy from what I hear.

·
Super Moderator
21,609 Posts
Nice Guns Stallard I was looking at the M&P AR 15 and was impressed its priced right and looks well made. Looks like you have more money in optics then the gun. :)

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Nice Guns Stallard I was looking at the M&P AR 15 and was impressed its priced right and looks well made. Looks like you have more money in optics then the gun. :)

Thanks 45,

I have had my M&P15 going on 4 years now and it has been a great gun. I am continually impressed by how well it shoots, with 55gr Hornady TAP FPD ammo it will shoot 1" 100yard groups, which I consider excellent for any 16" barreled carbine, much less a lower priced one. Of course the JP trigger group helps! You are right about the optics, I am a firm believer in great quality optics. It doesn't matter much that the gun WILL shoot great, YOU have to be able to shoot it great and good optics help!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, Stallard! I shall let my father-in-law know. I'm actually quite jealous. I looked at the price and I'm actually quite interested in one myself, just don't tell my wife... I shall not push my luck with her. She let me get that Savage 110BA and now my optics so I better just count my blessings.

However, they do make pink 15-22s... I would rock a pink 15-22 if she would go to the range with me!

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Just got an M&P15-22 took it out today and ran 700 rounds of some old super X and some other brand of cheap dirt bulk pack stuff, now I prolly overlubricated the rifle the bolt was almost dripping but first 600 rounds only had one misfire, good primer strike just didnt go bang. After that got through the last 100 but had about 10 misfires. I'll upload afew pics but over all I'll say it was very reliable, like I said I likely over lubricated the bolt but when I got done the bolt looked and felt like I dropped it into mud, was very gritty and didn't go into battery afew times when chambering a round. Still I say 600 rounds of dirty bulk ammo with one misfire is pretty darn good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts