Taurus Firearm Forum banner

smith & wesson lbr really worth £2000+ over a taurus lbr???

6K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  Corrado 
#1 ·
hey

one of our members at my club at falked out £2000+ for a smith & wesson lbr from their custom shop! smith are better qaulity revolvers however is it really worth paying out over £2000?
would the taurus lbr last a life time as well ??? (maby with some minor parts replacing over the years) or will the taurus eventally give up and break over a say 10-13 years time???

i have the taurus lbr and mine is pretty good example, no burrs inside and very slick trigger

#2 ·
Not sure what they sell for across the pond, but that sounds like he could at least have had two Taurus for that kind of money.

#4 ·
There are a couple of thing so think about here. Yes £2K is a lot of money. However all UK spec smith and wessons are from Germany custom shop. Taurus are no longer imported to the UK. I have three for different competitions, god only know that I am going to do for parts it they brake as Taurus wont ship to the UK and all the RFD's are out of stock. If you intend to compete the lock time on a Smith is faster than a Taurus. There are not the same double action pull issues but it is still £2K. Having shot on he circuit for 4 years Smiths win in 1500 matches and speed steels. If your only shooting PP1 and PP2 if you can get a Taurus buy one

#6 ·
Taurus are no longer importing their LBR's? I don't understand that one, as the competitions are beginning to take off. I have a .357 and a .22lr Taurus, I hope we can get parts for them!

I could always use my .357 Ruger Super Redhawk but it's so damn heavy after a couple of rounds of PP1 I'm knackered!

#10 ·
Reactions: RichO and Bender
#11 ·
Well in one word an abomination. However since handguns were banned in 1997 there is an overall length rule of 24" and a minimum barrel length of 12". Semi autos other than .22lr are also prohibited. Basically this is a .45 ACP delayed blow back pistol, if you can call it that. Its not semi auto as when the trigger is pressed the round fires cycling the action back. The lever on the right above the trigger then must be pressed with your thumb to send the slide forward and a round into battery. Its all we can legally have in regards of a proper pistol

#12 ·
Not exactly what I would call the Land of Hope and Glory any more.

#16 · (Edited)
Really? A lever release .223? Noooooo! I've got straight pull .223 AR being built on order. Wish I knew about this earlier.

Any idea of the cost of that .45? Probably a bit steep......

Just had a look around on the web, apparently the .45 is IRO £1500, and there may be a 9mm version too.

On another tack, I cannot understand the semi auto ban on LBPs over .22

As I understand it they say it is because it presents the next round to battery and all you have to do is keep pulling the trigger - is that right?

So.... what about double action revolvers? Or revolving carbines? All you have to do is keep pulling the trigger......

#18 ·
OK, I'll bite, what's lbr?

#23 · (Edited)
'Normal' handguns are banned in the UK.

LBR, = long barrel revolver, any caliber allowed. LBP, = long barrel pistol, semi-auto only .22rf, single shot any caliber.

These were designed to the specifications laid down by law, ie barrel minimum length 12", overall length minimum 24".

The extension at the back is permanently attached.

Attachments

#21 ·
There but for the grace of God....

#22 ·
Consider gasoline; The June average for the USA was $0.958/liter or $3.63/gal. How much did yours cost and was it any better than ours?

A modern-day Taurus will preform as good as or better than most other commonly available firearms.:thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.