Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know what this would be worth (roughly)?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Does anybody know what this would be worth (roughly)?
What model and version? Example Model 19-4. It will be located on the frame under the crane.

Also the serial # would help me look up value, only need how many numbers and the first 4 or 5. As in 3794xxx. This number could be by the model number or on the the bottom of the fame under the grips.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It says a 19-4, It's a 6" barrel...there are other numbers by the model number, not sure which one is the serial number...the number by the model number is (I think) 49k8701. Then there are 2 other numbers by the cylinder...97924 and C11.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
A 6" 19-4 that looks to be in good shape is probably worth $400-550. Do you have original box and papers? Is there any finish wear? Does it appear to have been fired much? These are all things that vary the value.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No original box or papers, my Father bought it for me years ago, just don't shoot it. It has a few tiny spots of pitting but there probably has been only around 3 boxes of shell through it. Can I sell this if I don't have the papers?

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Absolutely! Check your local laws, but here in Ohio, face to face transactions are leagal. If you sell it to someone out of state, you would have to use an FFL(Federal Firearms License) dealer.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
First nice gun,

The 19-4 dates start in 77' till 82'. My Blue book puts a 6" at $408 in excellent condition or $498 NIB but your area and buyer will determine true value. I have a 19-3 that looks very similar condition (shot but 98% bluing) to yours, I did a good bit of searching and looked at 5 or 6 before buying it about 3 years ago. They wanted $600 and that was pretty typical for what I had seen. I talked him down to $525 and ended up doing a trade also. I considered that a good price for this area. So I would say you are looking at a $400-$600 pistol. You will have to find someone with a Smith date book, contact S&W if you want to find the exact date it was made but many times the year is on the inside of the grips.

Here is a few pics of mine,

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very nice! I got this 82' so it might be one of the last models. I just dont use/carry it so I was thinking to maybe trade in on something else.

·
Registered
253 Posts
go to a site like gunbroker and compare them.

Reactions: Smokewagon

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
I have to agree with all the above.... check out the history of the model 19... Smith & Wesson Model 19 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I sold my model 19 when I moved up to the model 66 and have a 2 in and 4 in. The 19 is a great shooting and handling gun.. I have seen them sell for well into and over $500 Great feel and easy to handle....
Use gunbroker.com I ignore the asking or starting prices and always see what people are bidding and use that as a guide as to what they might be worth..
Buy and Sell Items at GunBroker.com

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, thanks for the info.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts