Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about getting a smith and wession model 686 plus in 357 mag 2 1/2 inch stainless does anyone have anything to say about this gun.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have no experience with the S&W 686 Plus but, this being a Taurus forum; I will ask the obvious question….what is it about the 686 that you like better, than say, the Taurus 617 titanium? The 617 is lighter, 19.9 oz vs. 34.5 oz. Their both 7 shot DA/SA. Houge grips on the S&W vs. Ribbers on the 617. Taurus has the better warranty and its $130 less in MSRP. I’m not bashing the S&W…they make a fine handgun. I’m just curious what it is about the 686 Plus that you like better.

·
Registered
166 Posts
For a small pocket gun like that I would rather have the stainless instead of the lighter weight material for recoil reasons.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Bubba said:
For a small pocket gun like that I would rather have the stainless instead of the lighter weight material for recoil reasons.
Good point Bubba if this is going to be a CC gun...brent_bowser didn't say. If that's the case why not go with a stainless 617, 28.3 oz and $358 cheaper. All the same, maybe the Smith has more to offer than what meets the eye. Again, I'm just looking to be educated ;D.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I'll not knock the quality Smith puts out, but after owning both brands I have to say Taurus is on par for the most part and cheaper in price but not cheaper in quality compared to the Smiths. That said I've seen a dramatic increase in price for the Smith's and their resale value has gone up. If you are a collector, then Smith and Wessons are a great investment. I am not a collector, I am shooter and I like more "bang" for my buck. I like to carry the guns I own into the brush and not worry about ruining a priceless object with my sweat and blood. Just my .02

·
Registered
24 Posts
brent_bowser said:
I was thinking about getting a smith and wession model 686 plus in 357 mag 2 1/2 inch stainless does anyone have anything to say about this gun.
It is probably a fine .357 revolver, everyone seems to like them. Kind of an awkward size though.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Personally I would buy a used S&W prior to when they started installing that God aweful internal gun lock. One gun I probably will buy 2 of is the S&W Model 36. Perfect for CC 5 shot little 38 special.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the 8-3/8" version and love it. Of course it's used for long range shooting (think IHMSA) and not CC. Mine is 20+years old, so quality may have changed, but it has great 3lb trigger, locks tight and shoots pretty tight groups. (I've "kill" 5 rams in a row with mine at 200yds in competition.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts