Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Managed to get my new Cannon 80 gun safe unloaded from the back of my truck to the porch by myself without injury or destruction. Now it sits there for the night mocking me while I try to figure out how the heck I am going to get it into the house tomorrow. Almost 800# and it has the internal door hinges so I can't lighten it up that way, I am thinking a bunch of PVC pipe cut up into rollers. Unfortunately I got it unloaded late and Menards was closed by the time I thought of it.

Reactions: rhuber

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also trashed the yard with 6" deep ruts, I hated zoysia anyway.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Go rent an appliance hand-truck, it will make life easy. You should be able to rent one from a U-Haul.

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
Do you have an appliance dolly? They really do help, especially if steps are involved.

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can get a dolly, not sure if I can move an 800# safe on one. There is only one small step in the door way left to conquer, maybe 3-4"

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Forklift.
Wife won't let me cut a hole big enough for a forklift, and I think it would just fall through the floor anyway.

If my posts become less coherent, I am finishing off the Shiner I picked up down in Texas tonight in celebration.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I'm thinking hernia....

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
You should have no problem finding an appliance dolly rated 800+ lbs to rent. Makeshift rollers of any sort sound like hell on your floors and I don't know if PVC would be up to all that weight.

·
Registered
19,168 Posts
I feel your pain..Good luck moving this inside the house..:eek:

Reactions: jimb1972

·
10,379 Posts
I can get a dolly, not sure if I can move an 800# safe on one. There is only one small step in the door way left to conquer, maybe 3-4"
Should be no problem. I used to move vending machines in my previous job (notice I said "previous"?;))

Get the refrigerator dolly that has the swing out wheels for flat terrain and the stair kickers and you'll be amazed how fast you've got that thing in there. Biggest trick is finding the center of balance for the safe. Once you find that you won't hardly notice the weight of the unit unless you're climbing stairs.

Quick cheat if you have some steps: tip the dolly forward, swing out the runner wheels and lock them in place, set the runner wheels on the step and pull the dolly back towards you, it'll climb the step fairly easily.

If you have someone helping you that's lifting from the front, make sure they lift straight up and let you do the pulling back, if they try to help by pushing while they're lifting up I can pretty well guarantee you're going to wind up hurt. I blew my knee with a vending machine because someone did that, you lose the center of balance and suddenly that thing gets heavy and down you go. I ended up with one leg at an odd angle under me and a 1,200lb vending machine on top of me...didn't make for a good day.

4 wheel dollies work well to. Lay the safe down and put one at each end of the safe and it'll roll right on down the hallway and since the weight is divided between 8 pressure points the floors should survive without a scuff.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
PVC would hold the weight if you had a few of them under there at all times. Whatever you do. BE CAREFUL. That's a lot of weight.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I just moved one into my house about a month ago, 750 lbs lucky the front porch is almost level with the front door. My son and I just scooted it in the front door on a little piece of chip board ( its smooth and slippery) once we got it in the house , rock it up on one end and slid a carpet upside down then did the other end, and then just slid it to the other end of the house . done in less then 20 min . oh yea the house is all laminate made job much easier . good luck and congratulations on your purchase . mine is a 39 gun able edition safe, very nice very heavy

·
22,036 Posts
Wow! How did you get it out of the truck bed?

As for finishing the job, have you considered building a room around the safe? How attached are you to the whole "porch" concept? :cool:

·
Registered
18,579 Posts
Well, it's a good thing you didn't try movin' it after dark....:wink:...things are always lighter in the daytime. Maybe you could put a sign on your porch saying "No Safes Permitted" and it'll move itself? You could paint it blue, put some Obama stickers on it and then put a sign saying "Welfare Office" wherever you want it to go....:mellow:...just don't get between 'em or you might get run over.

Reactions: jimb1972

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I had the exact same problems you do a couple of summers ago.

The safe was laying on its side in the bed of my truck.
I jacked the back of the truck up so the tailgate was even with the deck.
Slid the safe to the edge of the tailgate.
2x4's and a winch to right the safe.
Pipe rollers until even with the front door.
Tipped safe back and forth to insert 2x4s as a lift platform. (even with front door)
Moved rollers inside front door.
Built permanent 2x4 platform with carpet on the bottom.
Rolled onto platform and pushed across laminate floor into final spot.
Bolted down and ran security cam wires inside.
All by myself. 155lbs of stubborn man.
It took the better part of 3 hrs but when my larger college sons got there 2 hrs after the fact it showed them that dads still got it going on.

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

As for finishing the job, have you considered building a room around the safe? How attached are you to the whole "porch" concept? :cool:
It was standing up near the rear of the bed, so I leaned two 2x4's against the tool box and leaned it back onto them, then I just grabbed the pallet and wiggled it out and the safe slid down the 2x4's. Got kind of hairy when I had to stand it back up, but I found about a 12' piece of heavy angle iron in the shed and used that as a lever.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
You should have no problem finding an appliance dolly rated 800+ lbs to rent. Makeshift rollers of any sort sound like hell on your floors and I don't know if PVC would be up to all that weight.
Sounds like he is using multiple pieces of PVC - given the right situation it is a good technique. As you move and one pipe comes out the back you add it back to the front.

The load is spread over multiple pipes and possibly more important over a larger footprint on the floor (depending on construction).
800# is easier to manage than many think - given the proper techniques.

Reactions: jimb1972 and rago

·
Registered
20,085 Posts

Heavy objects go 'down' much easier than they go 'up'!!! A slow drop using levers and blocks works - so do controlled 'slides'.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts