Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use a small-of-back holster for concealed carry? I've always used IWB and sometimes a paddle holster, but am intrigued with the possibilities of a small-of back type. Pros and cons please.

·
32,737 Posts
Pros: It is easy for carry and comfortable over some other ways of holster carry and can be hard to detect by others. Can be accessed with either hand. Most forget that one can have the main gun arm or hand taken out by injury in the opening moments of an engagement.

Con: When seated that bugger is going to jab you in the back on a regular basis. Can lead to chronic back pain. If you fall down backwards for any reason( slip, pushed, grappling with someone) expect your spine to take moderate to severe damage with a hospital stay.

·
Administrator
40,388 Posts
As long as I know I won't be sitting, that is a good place to carry. One of the best places for concealment. Qwiks draw does make a good point about injuries though. They may be remote, but that is your call. :thumb:

·
Registered
294 Posts
I carry my Glock 30 that way most of the time. I do wear it more above the right hand pocket than true sob. If worn IWB it can be carried almost anywhere.

·
32,737 Posts
Let me clarify a few things. In a close in defense scenario, and those are what most are, grappling, wrestling, being pushed or tripped, or any physical one on one combat means there is a good chance of winding up on the ground.

Indeed just accidental wipe outs happen regularly and without warning.

There is also a chance of slipping, sliding, or tripping. In all of these cases, and they happen a goodly portion of the time,landing on your back violently and with the holster or holster and gun at the base of the spine means one is going to take a major blow to this area. Disk rupture and spine fracture are a very real concern. and do happen frequently do to this vary kind of thing.

Fine motor skills go out the window and one's physical abilities seriously degraded during fight and flight complex situations.

Gun instructors point this out and document these kind of fights well. That is why the cons of the holster type mentioned here have to be taken with more than just a grain of salt.

The results of such an event has to be taken seriously as just a matter of fact. One will not know the dynamics or for certain how these potentially deadly encounters will unfold.

So if one does wind up on the ground during an altercation the above stated will happen.

The decision is still up to the CCW individual.

Belly bands, Confidant Shirts, tactical jeans and shirts, Thunderwear, IWB, OWB, ankle carry, fanny packs, and other modes of carry can take the place of the in the small of the back holster.

So folks, do what you will. Just remember there are consequences for each type of carry and what they are.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I like them and in many ways prefer them for walking concealment. Keep in mind that there are many different kinds too. I like the external horizontal ones the best for a flat thin firearm, usually single stack magazine like a PT909 or even a full size 1911. Which are easily hidden when walking with a simple light jacket or shirt tail. I've never dropped one, even when running defensive drills or running tactical courses, which require alot of rolling and diving for cover on the ground to shoot from.

Another of my choices of carry are fanny packs (yes i know they are outdated and not in style...), in a front or back pocket of some kakia pants with my PT145/PT909, large deep jacket pocket or a nice shoulder rig for nearly any size. I am a bit unconventional, but thats how I was trained to be, so one blends in better ;D

·
Registered
997 Posts
Qwiks draw said:
Let me clarify a few things. In a close in defense scenario, and those are what most are, grappling, wrestling, being pushed or tripped, or any physical one on one combat means there is a good chance of winding up on the ground.

There is also a chance of slipping, sliding, or tripping. In all of these cases, landing on your back violently and with the holster or holster and gun at the base of the spine means one is going to take a major blow to this area. Disk rupture and spine fracture are a very real concern. and do happen frequently do to this vary kind of thing.

So if one does wind up on the ground during an altercation the above stated will happen.

The decision is still up to the CCW individual.

So folks, do what you will. Just remember there are consequences for each type of carry and what they are.
Qwiks,
Not disagreeing with you, but I see this "quoted" all the time on boards, yet no one can or has ever (from what I've seen) been able to post an Actual occurance as to where someone using a SOB holster has taken spinal damage due to being knocked down/falling (not saying it can't/won't happen) and even one of the gun rags (semi?)recently did an article on different types of holsters and the author of stated in all his years in LE, and all his years as a writer, he's never found a case of this happening either.

Do you have/know of an actual case (or cases) where this has happened? And if so, can you cite them/post links to the information as I'd like to read it/them.

For the record, I carry IWB, OWB or Pocket, not SOB, just looking for real info, not speculation
(again, understand I agree there is some danger of it happening, but have never seen any actual cases and know a few people who do carry sob)

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I can't imagine getting seriously hurt by carrying SOB, unless you are carrying a HUGE cannon, which is kind of silly. I know from personal experience that I never received any injuries and several occasions...

SOB is one of the most concealable methods of carry and depending on your firearm can often be missed in a quick pat-down. I commonly carry SOB, in a horizontal holster outside the waistband. It is fast and often leads your adversary into thinking you are reaching for your wallet. For comfort or vehicle wear shoulder rigs are nice, but if I am wearing a tac vest (with body armor) I carry front of vest roughly at heart level and canted for a right handed draw.

If your going to carry this way, just practice and use some common sense.

·
Registered
497 Posts
DRAEGER said:
I can't imagine getting seriously hurt by carrying SOB, unless you are carrying a HUGE cannon, which is kind of silly. I know from personal experience that I never received any injuries and several occasions...
Do so at your peril. All it takes is one time at a wrong angle, and you are out of service. I've had a ruptured disk and pinched nerve. The single most painful event in my life! Mine was not caused by SOB carry, but I was lucky and mine was fixed by surgery. Not every such surgery is successful.

Also, SOB carry will print, big time, when you bend over to tie your shoes, pick up a penny, whatever. Looks good in the movies, but not advisable.

My experience and opinion, your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
A persons body type/size does make a difference in carry and print depending on what and how you are carrying your sidearm. Anytime you carry, regardless of how or where, you have to be conscious of keeping things concealed. Watch people that carry in the more traditional styles (on their sides IWB, OWB or shoulder rig) and you will quickly learn it prints more then you would imagine and by far more then SOB. In fact people often alter their walking style subconsoiuly and give away the fact that they are packing.

If you carry SOB and need to tie your shoe, squat like your suppose to. Since it is the proper way to bend done to save your back from strain and pulls. I am not telling anyone to carry in this or any other fashion, just keep an open mind and what the situation requires.

The smaller PT145 and 24/7 compact style pistols have next to no print carried vertical in SOB leave almost NO print, even if I touch my toes and what print it does leave does not tell you what it is. Also, keep in mind that generally if I carry SOB, I can it horizontally meaning that the barrel is pointing across my back, not towards my feet. And I can easily carry my 1911 in this manor without showing it off like a runway model...

·
Registered
15 Posts
The one problem I see with this type of carry that has not been stated, is being able to defend the weapon. Most people have a limited range of motion and strength operating their arms behind their back. Since we don't have eye's in the back of our head we may not see an attack coming. It is much easier to defend and draw the weapon from the front or side [IMO].

What are your thoughts on this?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
madmax40 said:
The one problem I see with this type of carry that has not been stated, is being able to defend the weapon. Most people have a limited range of motion and strength operating their arms behind their back. Since we don't have eye's in the back of our head we may not see an attack coming. It is much easier to defend and draw the weapon from the front or side [IMO].

What are your thoughts on this?

The odds of an attacker coming from behind are very real, but an attacker knowing or thinking you have a firearm hidden back there are very, very slim. It is fairly easy to keep your back to an attacker in a struggle and much harder for an attacker to reach behind you to gain access to your firearm. It is always best to have a back-up plan in the event of losing or someone attempting to disarm you. All LEO's that i know of train for this and there are many different idea's on it too.

Number one is distance, if you don't have it, get it if you can...

I personally carry a TDI knife on my left side most of the time that I can draw left handed and slash across my attackers arm, chest, face, etc if need be. This leaves my right hand/arm free to defend my firearm, myself or attack my attacker with as needed.

http://www.knivesplus.com/ka-bar-knife-tdi.html

·
Registered
30 Posts
Never done it in the real world but I have tried it and I can't think of a worse way to carry. Try drawing from any position-much less a crouch or other "stressed" position. Plus in a struggle if the opponent gets behind you not only are you choked you have given up your gun. Not for me.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I had an exposure with that kind of rig. I carried a 1911 in a belt slide behind the back, and tucked a hockey jersy over it, well when riding the bus home the jersy kind of slipped up above the holster and when i exited the bus everyone got a good look at my hardware. Didn't realize it until I was halfway to my car in the parking lot. I was wondering why everyone was quite on a Friday night.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts