Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a full length .22 WMR rifle, but really wanted a "Mini" version the whole time. Since I didn't want to buy a new gun, I figured I'd just risk it and cut up an existing gun. My goal here was to shorten a 40.5" .22 Magnum rifle and get it down to 34" or 35". This would require shortening the stock and shortening the barrel.

Below is my Zastava MP22 in .22 WMR when I first got it a couple years ago sitting next to my daughter's Remington Model 5 .22LR (made by Zastava) that was bought a couple years before that.

If you want to see some of the effects of the saw, here ya go.
I lopped off about 1/2" of stock and about 5-3/4" of barrel

Cut and crown of the muzzle. Filing the Williams WGRS-54 rear sight to fit the Zastava 11mm dove tail.

Making ammo storage in the stock. Three 8.1" long holes that hold 6 rounds of .22 WMR each. Inspired by the Savage 24C trapdoor system.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Nice work.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
No photos, have a Rossi combo 22 mag/.410 the rifle barrel is 18 1/2" and shotgun barrel is 18 1/2" with a youth stock. Was made up to haul behind truck seat. The rifle barrel was 22 long rifle and someone rechambered to 22 mag. Very accurate for a 22 mag. I think it cost me $100 several years ago. Lives in a friends tool shed. He loaded a bunch of 45 colt brass with #12 shot and uses the 410 barrel to kill rats.

·
Super Moderator
40,514 Posts
Very nice work!

Reactions: chicharrones

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No photos, have a Rossi combo 22 mag/.410 the rifle barrel is 18 1/2" and shotgun barrel is 18 1/2" with a youth stock. Was made up to haul behind truck seat. The rifle barrel was 22 long rifle and someone rechambered to 22 mag. Very accurate for a 22 mag. I think it cost me $100 several years ago. Lives in a friends tool shed. He loaded a bunch of 45 colt brass with #12 shot and uses the 410 barrel to kill rats.
That sounds like an interesting gun indeed! Too bad about no photos, I'd like to see it. :)

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Here's the one I want... CZ 455... Got to hold one at gun show over the weekend... About $450

Chambering
.22 WMR
Twist Rate
1:16 in
Magazine Capacity
Magazine Type
Detachable
Stock
Turkish Walnut, Mannlicher-Style
Length of Pull
14.25 in
Sights
Adjustable Iron, Integrated 11mm Dovetail
Barrel
Cold Hammer Forged
Barrel Length
20.5 in
Overall Length
39.2 in
Weight
6 lbs
Trigger Mech
Adjustable
Safety
Two-Position

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Nice work.... Smiley Thumbs-up 2.gif

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Nice work! Did you do the crowning yourself?

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Nice work! Did you do the crowning yourself?
Yessir! My first time using a crowning tool as this rifle had a tapered barrel, I figured I would have a hard time keeping it square without a piloted tool.

It was interesting to use though. I used a large tap wrench to turn it by hand, but couldn't control the chatter marks. So, I ended up mounting it in a variable speed drill I have and ran it at low speed clearing out metal chips regularly. It kept the chatter marks at a minimum.

After filing the hacksaw cuts as smooth and square as possible, my crown procedure was as follows:

1. Turn crown tool (using light oil) until chips build into little piles on the blades. Remove tool from barrel, push an oiled patch or two down the barrel from the breech, clean chips off tool and pilot.

2. Repeat until crown is cut fully.

3. Check for square, and cut for square correction. (Note: the pilot wouldn't hold absolute square, just sorta close.)

4. Remove duct tape from barrel end and wrap with a few layers of painters tape right up to the crown burr and hit it with a small fine file and 1200 grit wet/dry sand paper. Polish crown with same paper using a .45 caliber cleaning jag to form the sand paper in the middle recess and polish the flat outside ring using same sand paper on sanding block.

5. De-greased crown with brake cleaner and cold blued crown.

It was kind of a PITA. Having a lathe would have been much easier and more accurate. Shoot, the whole project was kind of a PITA, but the results were worth it. :D

The tool came with a ".223" pilot and from what I read I needed a pilot for a .22LR, so I got that too. Apparently though, my .22 WMR barrel only needed the .223 pilot as the .22 LR pilot was a tad too loose.

Here's what I bought.

PTG Interchangeable Pilot Muzzle Crown Tool #1 Target

PTG Nominal Pilot Bushing 22 Rimfire

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's the one I want... CZ 455... Got to hold one at gun show over the weekend... About $450

Chambering
.22 WMR
I'd love to have one of those! :drool:

I have only one CZ rifle, a 452 Trainer. It's not nearly as slick as that full stock you show there and it sure isn't in .22 WMR either. :)

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
That's looks great. You did a wonderful job. Kudos for doing your own work. That is what makes a firearm truly "custom".

·
Registered
24,615 Posts
Very nice.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts