Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who use's speed loaders on small frames like the 605 ?
Have any probs with it and the grip or release button ?
I have a pair but its a tight fit to get them in and release if your try'n to hurry up and thats the whole point of a SPEED loader right..
::)

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have a 605 also and finally settled on the Bianchi speed strips for just that reason I just couldn't seem to get the speed loaders to work right, it was easier to just break them off the speed strip for me.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Try Speed Strips.
Flatter, Faster and in my mind easier to use.

AFS

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I've got both the Speedstrips and Safariland Speedloaders for my M85. Usually I'll toss in one of each into a pocket. Yes, the speedloader is a pain to get lined up right. I haven't tried different grips, that's usually the issue.

I got a set of those tiny 2 finger grips that CDNN is selling. Don't know when I will get a chance to try them out with the wonderful Mn weather.

Steelheart

·
Registered
545 Posts
Just tried my Speed Loaders. It is a tight fit. I must remember to grab the Speed strips if need be.

·
Super Moderator
35,340 Posts
My model 85UL is fine with speedloaders. I bought a Safariland speed loader for it and usually carry the speed loader and a Bianchi speed strip with it. Note, too, the front sight I had installed on it, much better than shiny stainless. I had a Rossi M88 who's cylinder latch on the frame got in the way of the speedloader along with the grip. I changed the grip to a Pachmayr Compac and took the cylinder release off and filed it down on the side that was causing problems and fixed the situation. As it was a stainless gun, I didn't have to worry about blueing.

My M68 Rossi, 3" barrel, has the same problem. I put a set of pearlite grips on that one to pimp it out, but they get in the way of speedloaders. I hardly ever carry it, but it's a great shooter. If I do carry it, I just carry speed strips.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It was extreamly hard for me to get a speedloader untill a friend bought one for me in Miami and brought. I was expecting so much more, but like you all have mentioned it is difficult to align, release and deposit all 5 rounds in the chambers, always 1 or 2 get stuck I cant remove the speed loader making the 3 already in the chambers useless in case of an emergency.

Has anyone found a way around this issue yet? or I will to accept that I had false expectations from the speedloader?. I guess at the end it will serve as a means of carring all 5 round together and in case I need them let them loose on my palm and insert one at a time, at least that way I can fire in case I have too without having the stuck speedloder not letting me close the cilinder.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Gravity is your friend in using speedloaders. Holding the cylinder solid, so you can wiggle it is needed is good. I use one finger thru the frame, the other below thru the trigger guard area myself. I get rounds stuck if I try to shove the rounds in, but if I let them drop in the darn thing works fine. Most trainers show dropping the loader on the ground, just like you would do in a quick mag change.

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
i practice regularly with Safariland's comp 1 speedloaders. I like how they don't have a knob for you to twist to release the rounds.

I also find that the DPX rounds are easy to load, or align with the cylinder, when using the speedloaders, because of their narrow hallow point. as easy as loading FMJ rounds. I also like the idea that the DPX rounds are lead free, makes me feel a lot better when carrying the speedloader in my pocket.

Safariland's Model COMP I

1 - 12 of 12 Posts