Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Taurus 605. Great gun. Only problem I ever had was a weak hammer spring but that was an easy fix. 
My question today is:  It came with the boot grips, I put on the factory combat grips to get the pinky position.  Now I find that when I shoot my trigger finger interferes with my thumb and upper grip finger.  It seems that more "fill" behind the trigger guard would solve this problem. Has anyone changed to the Hogue Monogrip, and has it improved the handling of the gun?  In particular, has anyone gone from the factory combat grip to the Hogue? 

·
Registered
545 Posts
I Changed from factory to combat to Pachmayr Compact. Haven't shot it with the Pachmayer yet but it feels like there is more to hang on to. It al so feels softer in the hand. I can still carry it in the front pocket of my carpenter pants. Carpenter Pants have become my uniform of the day. Lots of usefull pockets.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have a 605SSCH with crimson trace lasergrips ( LG385 ) and they work well for my meaty mechanics hands plus once you get used to the laser it is a blast to shoot in declining light esp. for mu old eyes with tri focals LOL

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After getting info from another poster on THR I put the boots back on. Even though they don't have the pinky rest, they are much thicker around than the combat grip and eliminate the reach problem. I dry fired them extensively last night with snapcaps and they are probably my best solution right now. I was told the Hogues only make the problem worse.
Wheels
Boot grips are available right from taurus cheap. $9.
http://www.taurususa.com/products/rgrips.cfm
Look under "small frame boot" part # 5-20880
When I purchased my combat grips, I ordered them from taurus over the phone and had them in about a week.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I got my Uncle Mikes Boot grips, open back and bottom, real small but fills the palm just fine, shot 38s with it and was real nice, now to try some full house 357's in it. But I like the smaller grips.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to try mine out again this weekend. The more I practice at home and get the feel, the more comfortable they are. We'll see on the range. I won't be shooting any magnums. Just 158's.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Found a prob with me and boot grips........... I shoot left handed, when I try and shoot good I squeeze the trigger and it shoots fine but when I try and just pull it and fire off a fast shot I pull to the right, changed back to the combat grips and all is good with fast shots. Well I like the boot grips but I put the combats back on as no matter what I like its no good if I cant hit my target when it counts...

·
Super Moderator
35,365 Posts
I really like the stock "boot grip" that came on my M85UL. Bigger grips, even Pachmayr Compacs, are not pocketable size. This little thing rides well in a pocket, yet feels really good in my hand and points natural with a very high grip which helps reduce muzzle flip. I haven't bothered changing anything. I also like the fact that it wraps around the back of the frame, gives me more grip to hang on to and cushions the +P stuff pretty well. The trigger on that thing is so slick, you just can't help but shoot well with it either hand DA.

I do like Pachmayr compacs and have 'em on my Rossi M511 .22 kit gun and had 'em on a M88 Rossi I sold, but they are not pocket friendly. They do offer a full hand grip in a small profile and I'd like to find a pair for my M66 3" I wear IWB. I had a Pachmayr Gripper finger groove on it, took that off for stock wood, but it cries out for compacs, would make it hide better and grip just as well. But, I don't think they're available for the square butt M66. Don't think Rossi compacs would fit the Taurus, either, I checked already.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts