Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone make a "pocket" pistol that is NOT as light as a feather? Small but shootable?

JimL

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
I know some have more weight than others, but I have not noticed a problem with the weight, except I cannot get a consistent pattern or a close pattern. I think that is me rather than the gun. I am trying different holds, different sight pictures, because the operation and weight of my PT111 suits me for most things, carry weight, concealable, and # of rounds carried.

I know I seem so far to be better with a heavy 45 colt, than either the 9 mm or 22 mag. I have gone so far as to buying a 357 snubby from Rossi (good price new). I take delivery next week. It weighs about 10 ounces more than the PT111, but has the shorter barrel. I guess I will see if weight makes a difference too.

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
Think I will stick with my Taurus, and Rossi at those prices.
I considered getting a longer barreled 9 MM, but that defeats what I started with the PT111 for. Even the compact 24/7 was more than I wanted to try and hide.

·
Registered
959 Posts
The P-11 is a semi-automatic, locked breech pistol, chambered for the 9 mm Luger cartridge.

The firing mechanism is double action only. The magazine has a 10 or 9 round capacity. The Kel- Tec P-11 is the smallest and lightest 9 mm ever made. Thanks to its locking dynamics and superior ergonometry, perceived recoil and practical accuracy are comparable to much larger guns. The P-11 is especially suited for plainclothes police officers or as a secondary weapon for military personnel. From the very beginning of the design and development, computers have been used exclusively. All machined components are also made on modern high speed computerized equipment. Equally advanced quality control equipment and test procedures ensure a firearm with uncompromising quality in materials and workmanship

Factory new Kel-Tec P11 9mm. Blue slide,
http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=8249940

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
Calibers : 9 x 19 mm Luger
Weight unloaded lbs. : 14 oz. 400g
Loaded magazine : 6 oz. 159g
Length : 5.6" 142mm
Height : 4.3" 109mm
Width : 1" 26mm
Barrel Length : 3.1" 79mm
Sight radius : 4.6" 116mm
Muzzle Energy Max : 400 ft lbs 540J
Capacity : 10 + 1 rounds
Trigger Pull : 9 lbs 40N

·
Registered
579 Posts
SGT KNUCKLES,, Plus 1 on the Kel Tec. I have a first gen P32 and love the little gun. I am considering the P11 now but running short on gun money..

·
Registered
235 Posts
Robby said:
Think I will stick with my Taurus, and Rossi at those prices.
I considered getting a longer barreled 9 MM, but that defeats what I started with the PT111 for. Even the compact 24/7 was more than I wanted to try and hide.
Without a holster, its pretty difficult to hide the 24/7. I was in a wonderful part of town tonight and didn't want to leave the gun in the truck, but I ended up having to, because the pants I was wearing, the back pocket wasn't large enough for the 24/7. It would have fit most any Kel-Tec, or even possibly a Mil Pro. I know it would have fit a small revolver, which is why now I am leaning towards the 605 for my carry gun.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
SgtKnuckles said:
The Kel- Tec P-11 is the smallest and lightest 9 mm ever made. The P-11 is especially suited for plainclothes police officers or as a secondary weapon for military personnel.
The PF-9 is now the smallest and lightest 9mm ever made.

Nothing against Kel-Tec, they make a good product at a great price but it's a rarity to see a plainclothes officer carrying a Kel-Tec. Most Depts. that I know of don't have them on the approved list.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SgtKnuckles said:
Thanks to its locking dynamics and superior ergonometry, perceived recoil and practical accuracy are comparable to much larger guns.
Well, I'd consider trying the P-11 if there was one available to shoot, but I'd never put my money in a gun that light sight unseen.

JimL

·
Registered
959 Posts
muttmutt,... give this one a hard L00K...<:))
NYPD in AZ,... your right, that PF-9 single-stack is slimmer, and about a 1oz. lighter...<:)) Below is Skyy that was started by a Kel-Tec employee... You get Stainless Steel Slide&Barrel for the same price as the Kel-tec...<:))
Length = 5.3
Height = 3.65
Width = .80
Weight = 12oz
Trigger - double strike capability - same smooth, comfortable action as our CPX-1
Capacity 6+1
Comes with 2 magazines and our custom child resistant trigger guard lock
Stainless steel slide and barrel
Color Configuration - Black or Two-Tone

SKYY INDUSTRIES -- MODEL CPX-1, 9-MM, DAO, 2- 10 RD MAGS, WT-20 OZ
http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=8319393
SKYY CPX-1 Convertible Pocket/Wallet Holster
http://www.pocketholsters.com/Skyy_Pocket_Wallet_Holster/skyy_pocket_wallet_holster.html
Skyy Industries
http://www.skyyindustries.com
Skyy Review:
http://www.skyyindustries.com/SKYY_Review_-_CCM.pdf
Skyy Forum:
http://www.skyyforum.com/index.php

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SgtKnuckles said:
SKYY INDUSTRIES -- MODEL CPX-1, 9-MM, DAO, 2- 10 RD MAGS, WT-20 OZ
http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=8319393
Since my primary point in starting this thread was about having a very small gun but with some decent weight to it, I found this item interesting because of the 20 ounces. But every other site I found it on said it is 17 ounces.

Is there some version that is heavier but I just can't find it?

JimL

·
Registered
579 Posts
SGT, I like the looks of that SKYY. I did not know that they were a KEL Tec knockoff but looking at the detail I sure can. I will check that gun out. Hopefully I can come across one at the gun dealer or show. I like to feel the gun before purchase.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would stay away from the Skyy. The examples I have seen were not of high quality. Plus, they even show you where to put your fingers if you forget!
The P11 Keltec is a reliable little 10 or 12 (depending on magazine) shot 9mm. With the belt clip, you don't even need a holster.
Bill

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
GerbilWarrior said:
I carry a p3at on Sundays, but weekdays I carry a Kel-Tec PF9 in the front pocket of my khaki pants. Here's my write up with lots of photos:

http://www.mouseguns.com/pf9rev/pf9rev.htm
I had already read that excellent piece (even copied it onto my own computer as a reference) as well as others there when I started this thread.

As I said before, I'm looking for a 9mm pocket gun (or at least very small) with some weight to it - if such a thing exists. Do you have any input on that?

Also, can you help with my previous question to the SGT about the Skyy CPX-1 which has been reported as weighing 20 ounces - well over that of the KelTecs - and assumedly having considerably less recoil?

JimL

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
NYPD in AZ said:
Here you go Jim----small, shootable with some weight to them. Quite expensive though.

http://www.kahr.com/PA-1_9mm.html
NYPD got there before I did. For a real small steel gun in a service caliber I'd take a look at the MK series from Kahr. Yes, you'll pay for it but there are well made. But even the polymer framed guns don't kick much. There's a P9 around here and the recoil feels about like my XD9SC, even with Corbon 9mm's.

But I will add a tidbit, the polymer Kahr's seem to have a better trigger than the steel framed models. Had a K40 here but the trigger was heavy enough that no one could hit with it, even off a rest. It was traded on something else shortly there after. The P9 is much better.

Steelheart

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I have a couple KelTec P-11's and a P32. The P-11 is very easy to handle. I wouldn't worry about the weight thing. It holds 10+1 and I have a mag that gives you 12+1.
The belt clip lets me take it almost anywhere. I know it's not on some approved lists, but there are several very good guns that aren't either. There was a lot of controversy about the Skyy founder ( former KelTec guy) starting some bad rumors about KelTec, to make himself and his company look good. Hardly anyone would buy a Skyy after that came out. If the weight thing is such an issue, just go with the PT111. Hardly any bigger and a good gun for the money.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thunderjohn said:
If the weight thing is such an issue, just go with the PT111. Hardly any bigger and a good gun for the money.
The weight thing is definitely an issue for me - THE issue of this thread. After years I've never learned to hold a feather weight gun down, especially one with a tiny handle. Yet I'm interested in a deep cover gun. Therefore I'm asking about a pocket sized gun with some heft to it.

Indeed the PT111 is my alternative, but it is NOT a pocket gun (the P-11 is marginal), so isn't really an option (pretty close to my 24/7 in size). Going the other way perhaps I'll drop out of 9mm, get a PT22 and use Stingers in it.

JimL

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
well the bersa thunder-9 looks nice, the mags are hella expensive on it though from what i hear..

also beretta is coming out with the px4 sc (sub compact) in jan 08 (or so they say)
and it looks mighty tasty..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts