Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep an 18.5 barrel home defense 12 ga. shotgun in the house. I've got a supply of birdshot, and 00 buck. I'd like to add some slugs to the stash. What do you recommend?

·
Administrator
35,445 Posts
I've read good things about the Federal slugs and the Hornady slugs. Me being pretty cheap though, I have 100 Winchester 2 3/4'' shells in the corner of my closet, right next to 400 Winchester 00 buckshot shells. They are the 'Walmart special' 15 round boxes.....honestly, in a home defense situation, I can't see much of a difference between the good stuff and the cheap stuff.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
For the size of a house the buckshot would make a point. I am old school I like some good old fashion #4 or even #6 shot first then followed by the 00 0r 000 buckshot, especially out of the short barrel. In the excitement the first shots might not make the mark but they would create a panic event for the BG.

·
Registered
32,030 Posts
I have the same counts as TTG. In the house I would never use the slugs, way, way too much penetration. Slugs would be great for turning a car into swiss cheese, or to extend the shotguns effective range considerably.

TTG is better off with his selection of 00, as most of mine are the same Winchester, then a lot of Remington is 4,1, 0, 00, and 000 buck, and then 40 rounds of 3" S & B 00. and Probably some 3" Remington and Winchester.

Three inch buck is not a good idea as recoil is heavier and takes longer to get back on target than the 2 3/4 loads. I also have a box of Remington (25 round box) of low recoil. Remington's are bad about leaking the buffering.

I have 40 rounds of the Aguila short 2" slugs, which will chamber in my S & W 3000 but I would have to be out of everything else before I would put those into use.

I think TTG has a Saiga 12 if I remember and I have one also, and he has good consistency in his larder, which I think is really the goal to set for any ammo larder.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I load mine so the first 3 rounds I would shoot are buckshot then followed with 5 rounds of slugs. I have shot slugs out of a few 18.5" guns, Remington 870, Mossberg and a Benelli Nova pump. I was impressed by how accurate a short barreled shotgun could shoot the slugs, I also found that all 3 shot Wolf Rifle slugs the best. Wolf Power Ammo 12 Ga 2-3/4 1oz Rifled Slug

I managed a 4" 100yard group with my 870, shooting from a bench with a EoTech 553 red dot sight, with a 1oz slug traveling 1400fps, it should do the job!!

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fair enough answers. I'm not looking for something inside the house. I want a slug to "reach out and touch someone". My barn is at the back of my property, I know a rifle would be the best choice, but since the shotty is out of the safe......

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I load mine so the first 3 rounds I would shoot are buckshot then followed with 5 rounds of slugs. I have shot slugs out of a few 18.5" guns, Remington 870, Mossberg and a Benelli Nova pump. I was impressed by how accurate a short barreled shotgun could shoot the slugs, I also found that all 3 shot Wolf Rifle slugs the best. Wolf Power Ammo 12 Ga 2-3/4 1oz Rifled Slug

I managed a 4" 100yard group with my 870, shooting from a bench with a EoTech 553 red dot sight, with a 1oz slug traveling 1400fps, it should do the job!!
Skipped right over your post! That's what I'm talking about!! What else is out there?

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread.

You've received some very informed responses. ;)

·
Administrator
35,445 Posts
I think TTG has a Saiga 12 if I remember and I have one also, and he has good consistency in his larder, which I think is really the goal to set for any ammo larder.
I wish.....my home defense shotgun is a Mossberg 500 22 inch barrel that holds 7 rounds. Plenty good enough for bump in the night scenarios though. ;D

Now, for my trunk shotgun, which is also a Mossberg 500 but with pistol grip and 18 inch barrel, I have two 30 round containers, one full of slugs and one full of 00 buck. If that doesn't hold off whatever is coming after me, it's time to call in the Marines. :D

It may be time to think about changing out that pistol grip with something that is retractable - it would allow you to either use a buttstock or pistol grip. I just haven't gotten around to that yet.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I like all the above responses but as my feeble old brain gets even older, I find myself using the K.I.S.S. method more and more.

I had 20 plus guns at one time so I'm culling calibers, guns, loads, ammo boxes, etc. Thinking of going back to an absolute minimal arsenal.

Shot my last slug at a deer about 35 years ago. Missed (misunderestimated the distance :) )

All '00' for me at home...

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
The nice thing about a 12 gauge is that it really doesn't matter too much in the way of brand for rifled slugs, it's all about managing the recoil. I've shot Remington Sluggers, Winchester Super X Magnum, and Federal Vital-Shok TruBall slugs, and all performed admirably. Even a low recoil Federal Tru-Ball 1 oz. slug will be travelling at 1300 fps, and won't drop very far down at 100 yards (at most roughly 3 1/2"). Which really isn't bad for a 70mm hunk of lead being shoved out that far. The normal load rifled slugs all seem to hover in the 1500-1600 fps range, and some like Winchester Super X can hit around 1800 fps in some loads. Hitting anything with 800-900 foot/pounds of force that far away is definitely a stopper for unwelcome guests of the four and two legged variety. There's a ton of slug options, but I'm quite partial to the Federal Low Recoil ones, they seem rather accurate and I actually got a pair through the same hole at 100 yards on a slightly breezy day. I was testing out my new reflex sight and was pleasantly surprised at the results that far out. Plus the low recoil helps immeasurably with target requisition since the pounding against the shoulder is nowhere near as bad. At home I just have it loaded up with #8 shot target loads since there isn't going to be much of a spread in a home defense situation, and having 450 lead pellets flying at you is a pretty good deterrent to just about any intruder. But I also have some 00 Buck and rifled slugs as backup if I run out of target loads or need some longer distance effectiveness.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I would probably use buckshot in my Winchester 1300, but I am intrigued by the Winchester PDX-1 for the 12 gauge -- kind of gives you the best of both worlds....

·
Registered
29,918 Posts
Personally, I don't recommend shotgun slugs for home defense.

Besides their bodacious recoil, they'll penetrate a number of walls and the family members behind them.

If you have the resources, get some scrap 2X4's and sheet rock or paneling and conduct some experiments of your own.

Since the rooms in most homes don't get much bigger than 30" I prefer #4 buck shot for "home defense" scenarios.

At distances of 10"-30" bird shot will also get the job done.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't intend to use slugs for home defense unless that's all I have left. I do intend to use them in a home defense style shotgun.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
I should have mentioned that mine is only an 18 1/2" Mossberg 500, so that should show you that short smooth bores still have great ability to reach out if needed. But yeah, far too much over-penetration when you're up close and personal with slugs.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I should have mentioned that mine is only an 18 1/2" Mossberg 500, so that should show you that short smooth bores still have great ability to reach out if needed. But yeah, far too much over-penetration when you're up close and personal with slugs.
Thats what I was looking for. My shotgun has an 18 1/2 barrel too. I was looking for something to be fairly accurate out to my barn which is about 150 feet away from the house. As I said, I know a rifle would bee better, but I leave the shot gun out so it's quicker to get to.

·
Super Moderator
35,152 Posts
I keep a 20 gauge coach gun loaded with 3 buck and have a couple of plain generic Remington Slugger brand foster slugs that shoot well in the gun on the butt cuff. Same is available in 12 gauge. I bought some 3" 1 ounce slugs in 12 the other day, but I haven't worked up the courage to shoot one. I got 'em for a hog hunt, didn't get a hog, was for back up in the left barrel of my 12 gauge SxS. It's buckshot only, I had 0000 buck (.375") load in the right barrel and figured the slug was in case the buck shot just peeved him off. Buckshot at close range for self defense is one thing, but at 40 yards and on a tough old hog, I'm less than thrilled with the restriction on that WMA.

We live in a neighborhood of brick homes in Corpus. I don't really wanna unleash a slug here unless there's no other choice, so I keep loaded with 3 buck and live happy. Once I'm out in the country, I hope soon, I can be less worried about stray lead flying around the neighborhood.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I too would recommend AGAINST slugs for home defense,
in any order in the magazine.....period !
Not in my go-to 12ga pump pistol grip.......
Maybe in a 'second' shotgun as a back-up weapon.
Slugs can penetrate walls......hurt someone you love.....
as I would also recommend 'less-powerful' ammo in any-any-any
home defense weapons used solely for that purpose......
A carry weapon and it's ammo is another story in itself !

·
Super Moderator
35,152 Posts
Well, he obviously is out in the country and the slugs are for vermin or, I guess, 2 legged vermin at extended range outside. Now, I keep a SxS coach gun handy, so loading it with a quick slug is not a problem. I do not live in the country, so I keep 3 buck in it. If I was out like that, I would keep a twice pipe around, not a pump, but I prefer my coach gun, anyway. :D They do have advantages. I really prefer doubles for hunting, too. Instant choice of choke.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts