Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I was really interested in loading some slugs for my Circuit Judge. I’ve been casting/loading 000 with pretty good success. But wanted some for punch and possible better accuracy.

With that being said…. The Circuit Judge is already rifled (for 45LC), so would I be correct in saying that the Sabot (non rifled slug) would be my better choice?

Also, where can I find molds for this? Or can the molds be made? If so, where would be a good source for this?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Sabot. Be careful! She'll pack a whallop! :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I want!! Haha, know anywhere I could buy a mold? Or how to make one?

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Mountain Molds. Go to the website and you can design what you want. His workmanship is flawless and very fast, not all that expensive for a custom mold. You can probably get by with a single cavity, that will keep the cost down, too.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
I am sure you have thought of this, but remember, the sabot will be the dia. of your barrel and the slug will be smaller. Good luck and don't blow your gun up.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually I have not thought about that, I'm new to slugs of any kind. Although the barrel of the Judge would be bigger, considering the idea of a 45 able to go down it. So i don't think a sabot for a 410 would give me any issue, besides possibly bad accuracy. But any thoughts or advice is helpful on this

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Actually I have not thought about that, I'm new to slugs of any kind. Although the barrel of the Judge would be bigger, considering the idea of a 45 able to go down it. So i don't think a sabot for a 410 would give me any issue, besides possibly bad accuracy. But any thoughts or advice is helpful on this
Well, the sabot will have to fit in the 410 shell, that is a given; the slug must be just small enough to fit in the sabot. Now that the bore of the Judge is somewhere around .450 to .452 and your slug is going to be around .400 sitting in a sabot that is at least .410, the sabot is not going to engage the lands and groves of the barrel with consistency, therefore your accuracy is going be very little if any beyond 15 feet. .....I see no advantage to using a .410 slug at all when you have the .45 colt that will do a much better job and more accurately as well. Have fun and be careful. ....I have not done this, so my figures may be off some.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
.....I see no advantage to using a .410 slug at all when you have the .45 colt that will do a much better job and more accurately as well
Exactly what I was thinking. I shoot a lot of slugs during deer season and in getting ready for deer season. (Granted, I don't deer hunt with a .410.) Any slug in comparision to a .45LC, I see nothing but disadvantage. The .45LC is more than ample to get the job done.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I use Winchester 41 shot cups when loading 444 Marlin cases with heavy shot for use in a 2.5" judge. Works well and the brass cases don't swell so they drop right out after firing.

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
I use Winchester 41 shot cups when loading 444 Marlin cases with heavy shot for use in a 2.5" judge. Works well and the brass cases don't swell so they drop right out after firing.
Do you use a slight roll crimp with a cardboard over card? Sounds interesting.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Yes, I use heavy card stock and roll crimp the 444 cases.. Then I write on the card what the shot load consists of.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
What about using a 45 cal rifle bullet in the shell or in the 45LC case but crimped with the bullet waaaay out of the case?
Or
Maybe a 40 cal rifle bullet loaded in a 410 shot cup (like the lee slugs use in 20 and 12 ga)????

Dammit now I want a Judge. LOL

·
Registered
1,344 Posts

Size the .457 ones down to .452-.453

HMMMMMMMMM

·
Registered
21 Posts
What about using a 45 cal rifle bullet in the shell or in the 45LC case but crimped with the bullet waaaay out of the case?
Or
Maybe a 40 cal rifle bullet loaded in a 410 shot cup (like the lee slugs use in 20 and 12 ga)????

Dammit now I want a Judge. LOL
if you load a 452 projectile in the 444 case it wont chamber in the judge as it will now be too fat. an extra soft 429 (44) will chamber in the 444 case and may even touch the rifling as it swells being fired. anyine notice that in the winchester 5 pellet 000buck loads that pellets 2, 3, and 4 go from .36 calibre up to .452 when fired and come out with rifling on them? i'm all for experimentation, but any factory 410 slug load will be a poor performer compared to a good 45 colt load. however some long soft heavy high bc projectiles could be fun.
uh and use a shoy cup as it will expand and stop any blowby and loss of power with an undersize projectile

1 - 15 of 15 Posts