Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An item on my short list is to reload my own ammo. My interest in this has many levels. For starters I really enjoy shooting and if I can do it more economically I should. I feel that with the proper research and the help of all you fine people here at TA that this a task I'm capable of. I've already taken the advice of many and bought the ABCs of Reloading. That 9th addition just came in the mail today. Another reason I want to reload is that it interests me in a detailed almost artistic way. It seems like a good way to take my passion another step further. A journey I look forward too.

So far I have 1k SPP primers, the pictured brass casings, an order in to Precision Delta for 2k jacketed bullets and the above mentioned classic book ABCs of Reloading. There's about 225 9mm casings pictured in that large cup. It's not much but that's 2 quick cleanups from my last two shoots. The RO was cool so I picked up a little 40 and 45 too. I have a buddy that has offered me his dad's reloader but I don't know what it is and all he has with it. He says there are a bunch of dies included. I'm guessing it's a tad sentimental so I haven't pushed things. I'm supposed to learn more this weekend. When I find out what it is I'll post up the info and maybe ya'll can help me figure out what I may have. If I take it, I'll have to do something nice for his family

My goal is to be up and running in about a month. My bullet order won't be here yet but I'm sure I can score something to get started. The LGS I got the primers at had all the DOT powders, red, green, blue but the store owner said he'd find me some Winchester 231. Said it was his favorite. Right now I'll just take his word for it. They used to mass produce reloads at this shop. Says the feds want to much money so they quit. They have the equipment to make 10K a day! What a shame.

So that's the plan. I feel confident about going this route because I have just as good of luck finding components as I do ammo and I can get a lot more rounds making my own. I must say. I'm a 9mm guy but those 45 casings are just sexy! Going to have to make some of those for sure but not until I get the 9mm going. I'm thinking my next Taurus will be in the 45 variety.

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
I find it to be very relaxing and rewarding. Be safe!

Reactions: olfarhors and bps1

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Good to hear others are thinking this way. I took the leap today and ordered equipment. I've been collecting brass for awhile now and indecisive but this morning, I decided. I have the time and like it was said, this is an enjoyable hobby. Besides, ammo prices are crazy.

Need to start finding primers locally.

·
Administrator
35,560 Posts
Good to hear others are thinking this way. I took the leap today and ordered equipment. I've been collecting brass for awhile now and indecisive but this morning, I decided. I have the time and like it was said, this is an enjoyable hobby. Besides, ammo prices are crazy.

Need to start finding primers locally.
Good luck to you sir. I've found bullets in the last 3 months, and I've found powder, but no primers - none at all. I'm beginning to think they're all gone.....glad I had a few before this nonsense happened.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got lucky on the primers. He just got the box when I asked about them but I have been seeing more stuff around lately. I paid $40 for 1k of Winchester. I've heard of a lot worse but honesty not sure what they were selling for pre shortage.

I'm supposed to have pics of my buddies loading equipment soon. I'll post them up when I can. Hopefully someone can identify some of it.

·
Administrator
35,560 Posts
I got lucky on the primers. He just got the box when I asked about them but I have been seeing more stuff around lately. I paid $40 for 1k of Winchester. I've heard of a lot worse but honesty not sure what they were selling for pre shortage.

I'm supposed to have pics of my buddies loading equipment soon. I'll post them up when I can. Hopefully someone can identify some of it.
I've only bought CCI and Federal. The CCI are usually $38 for 1000 at Cabelas, but they had a sale for $28 and I got a few boxes....this was months ago. If you keep an eye out, you may get lucky again.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Win 231 is a pretty good powder to start with for 9mm. It is the same powder as Hodgdon HP 38 and uses the same recepies. Your Precision Delta bullets might be a little difficult to find a load for. The major bullet manufacturers (Hornady, Nosler, Speer, Barnes, etc.) have their own manuals listing loads for all their various bullets. Lee, Lyman, & all the powder makers have manuals or web sites that list loads for a variety of bullets, but often they list the major brands as well. You may have to substitute data for a similar bullet (like a 124 grain JHP or FMJ), but as a new reloader, you will probably be most comfortable if you can find a load using the exact bullet you will use, then there is no question about the appropriate charge weight, overall length of the loaded round, etc. Sometimes, you can get data from the bullet maker by calling or e - mailing - I have done this with Berger.
9 mm is a little tough as a learning round because of its small size - a little difficult to handle, & tolerates less variation, but if you proceed carefully, you should do OK. I started with medium bottleneck rifle rounds like .308 & went on from there.
Read the ABCs thoroughly,check out your equipment, & ask questions from there. Double check everything at first, & have fun. it is an enjoyable hobby.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've only bought CCI and Federal. The CCI are usually $38 for 1000 at Cabelas, but they had a sale for $28 and I got a few boxes....this was months ago. If you keep an eye out, you may get lucky again.
Cool. Sounds like I did alright. The guy I bought them from said for hand loading Winchester is as good as most but because they were softer they used to have some problems in the production machines.

Win 231 is a pretty good powder to start with for 9mm. It is the same powder as Hodgdon HP 38 and uses the same recepies. Your Precision Delta bullets might be a little difficult to find a load for. The major bullet manufacturers (Hornady, Nosler, Speer, Barnes, etc.) have their own manuals listing loads for all their various bullets. Lee, Lyman, & all the powder makers have manuals or web sites that list loads for a variety of bullets, but often they list the major brands as well. You may have to substitute data for a similar bullet (like a 124 grain JHP or FMJ), but as a new reloader, you will probably be most comfortable if you can find a load using the exact bullet you will use, then there is no question about the appropriate charge weight, overall length of the loaded round, etc. Sometimes, you can get data from the bullet maker by calling or e - mailing - I have done this with Berger.
9 mm is a little tough as a learning round because of its small size - a little difficult to handle, & tolerates less variation, but if you proceed carefully, you should do OK. I started with medium bottleneck rifle rounds like .308 & went on from there.
Read the ABCs thoroughly,check out your equipment, & ask questions from there. Double check everything at first, & have fun. it is an enjoyable hobby.
I saw hodgden 38 today too! Wasn't sure what I was looking at. Next time I'll buy. Damn. Thanks for all the info. I'll email PDelta and see what they can offer for load info.

·
Super Moderator
37,220 Posts
Congrats on making the leap! I am a W231/HP38 devotee also and many times you will find one cheaper than the other. I was getting CCI primers at 32.00 and then the last I found 6 weeks ago are Federal "Premium" primers at 42.00/1000. You grab what you can in these days.

It is a very satisfying pastime which helps you shoot more for less money and once you stock up on components you will be less subject to the vagaries of loaded ammo supplies.

Keep us up to date please on your progress...and keep those photos coming! :)

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My buddy emailed me these pics of his dads old equipment and I feel completely ignorant. No idea what is good or bad or usable with this. Anyone got any ideas? He says it's all rifle and revolver dies. There's 308 to 44 colt in there. Are those dies usable in other systems? Is this system worth getting into? The place I got the primers from has a couple of MEC units with the carousels. He can't find dies right now though.

ALL advice welcome...

Attachments

Reactions: gbusmech

·
Administrator
35,560 Posts
Pic 1 is the actual 'C' press and the powder thrower. Pic 2, starting in the middle and going to the right, appear to be case trimmers and a bullet puller. Pic 3 is an assortment of things - a powder trickler, primer tray, powder funnel, and primer tubes that go onto the press. Pic 4 of course are the dies - they are like gold right now.

This looks like a pretty comprehensive setup - not sure if you'll get a brass tumbler or not, thats the only thing I can think of that you might need, in addition to a good set of calipers and a scale.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pic 1 is the actual 'C' press and the powder thrower. Pic 2, starting in the middle and going to the right, appear to be case trimmers and a bullet puller. Pic 3 is an assortment of things - a powder trickler, primer tray, powder funnel, and primer tubes that go onto the press. Pic 4 of course are the dies - they are like gold right now.

This looks like a pretty comprehensive setup - not sure if you'll get a brass tumbler or not, thats the only thing I can think of that you might need, in addition to a good set of calipers and a scale.
WOW that was quick. Thank you!

Are all dies created equal? Like if I wanted to get another press someday are these dies useful or even universal in some way?

Do you see anything missing that I may need besides the tumbler?

·
Administrator
35,560 Posts
Most modern dies are pretty good and solid. Hornady, RCBS, Lee, etc. are all good ones. I would use them if they're free, definitely.

The only things I can think of you'll need are a primer pocket cleaner (or you could use a flathead screwdriver that fits inside the primer pocket), a scale, a good set of calipers, a tumbler, and some tumbling media. Something else may come up as you go along in the process but for the most part you will have everything.

Youtube is your friend, if you can't find somebody to assist you when you need help. I haven't had a question so far that somebody good hadn't made a how-to video of.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good ol' Youtube! He's up to $50 now but that's good. Now I won't owe him a big favor, lol. Thanks for the help! I do a little design and fab work so I have most things on your list already. Sounds like a good deal that I better jump on.

·
Super Moderator
37,220 Posts
Do not let it get away for 50.00...or if you do, PM me his address! :D

You'll need to determine if they are carbide dies, which are a harder steel and almost impossible to scratch. If just hardened tool steel you'll need to lubricate the cases. Not the end of the world, but another step or two.

Those dies should be a universal 7/8" (?) spec. If so, you can graduate to a Lee or most other turret press and set up a die plate with each caliber...it make changes a snap.

Regardless of any other presses you may choose to acquire down the line, your RCBS single stage will always be used for a dedicated rifle or pistol caliber that you do less volume on.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Start with loading manuals,any you can find,start slow and work up your loads,don't let any buddies give you load recipes as they may be dangerous.be careful about sharing your reloaded ammo with other people as this may be a major liability.

Reactions: Czechbikr and bps1

·
Registered
336 Posts
The dies look like mostly RCBS with several that are probably Lee or Hornady. The press is an "O" style cast single stage, probably RCBS as well. The dies and press are pretty much indestructible, & look to be in good shape. All can probably be used as is, perhaps with a little cleaning & a light lube. Dies are universal in that they can usually be used with any press, but they are caliber/ cartridge specific, so if you are looking to load 9mm or .38/.357 or whatever, you will need a die set for that particular cartridge.
The other items have been accurately identified by Texastaurusguy. Looks like you will need a scale, although there is a scale pan in there that makes me think there once was a scale someplace, and some calipers. Both these items are important, otherwise, looks like you are good to go, (might still need dies in the calibers you wish to load for).
$ 50 is a great deal - you could pay several times this amount new or on e bay for a less complete set up.

1 - 20 of 211 Posts