Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I guess it depends on what you want it for - both are pretty concealable, but the slim is obviously going to have a bit of an edge there. The PT111 has the edge in capacity. The 709 uses a glockish trigger safety, and personally I'm not a big fan of that feature. I prefer the PT111's smooth trigger, and higher capacity. The first Taurus I ever shot was a PT111, and I was very impressed. Great ergonomics, excellent trigger, and it's an accurate little bugger.

·
32,613 Posts
I own both guns.

It depends on the mission at the time and need, plus the time of year. Or can.

Part of it also has in being short,stocky,and having short fingers and small hands. Both fit the hand well.

It's a bit easier to hide the 709, since extra ammo is being carried, total round count is not my major concern. The 709 is similar to the mission as the .38 Special snub revolver. That also has to do with how far the gun is to be shot. Really good snub gun shooters can hit out to 100 yards or more regularly. That the exception. Most of us would not shoot beyond 25 yards with one. :) Could and does happen though but that is a whole different kettle of fish.

The 709 , for me, is a BIT harder to shoot well compared to the PT111. Smaller guns are that way. As already stated by someone else the two trigger types are different as night and day. Not that real good shooting cannot be done. It is and is regularly done. One has to get used to the characterstics of each gun.

The PT111 is a bit more accurate (depends on if the shooter does everything properly) at 25 yards and a bit easier to shoot to 25 yards with. It's a somewhat bigger pistol and sits in the hand better. For me. Your case may be different. Getting a full two handed grip is better on the PT111.

For one handed shooting from either side the 111 gets the nod. If used to Glockish triggers then the 709 can work well for those who are used to the Glock or similar trigger pistols under the same conditions.

For those for whom round count is a major factor the 111 wins hands down.

Either gun fits the CCW purpose well. Each gun has virtues that make it a good pick or a good pick over one another depending on the circumstances and mission required of each.

Reliability has been excellent for both of mine.

Try them both out and see which fits you and your needs,then go with that.

Maybe buy both eventually. :)

I try to have two of each gun type on hand. The reason is that if one gun gets bagged and tagged for evidence there is a second gun for defense while the evidence gun is away. One might never see the gun used for a defense scenario ever again. Similar gun,similar controls that the user knows by heart.

The perp/s have friends or family who might not like the fact that their precious was shot,might have survived, and is in jail. Or the perp/s bail themselves out of jail and want revenge of the violent type.

Both guns are class acts.

·
Registered
50 Posts
i can't speak to the 709, but i really like shooting my pt111. it has been very dependable and easy to shoot, the trigger is clean, crisp and very predictable, compared to my karh's which seem to suddenly break after a long pull. several times i have contemplated getting rid of the pt111 in exchange for something differant, but it's simply too good of a gun to do that.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
...Both guns are class acts.
Thanks sir, for your stellar comparison of the two pistols.

I agree with you that both are "class acts". :guns:

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
GLOCKISH? Did somebody say GLOCKISH? HEY. I thought racial profiling wasn't allowed on this site!

Seriously, there isn't much difference between the triggers on a 709 and a 111. I carry the former and my missus carries the 111. Both triggers are the best in the business for a small 9mm. PERIOD. Both have been stone cold reliable. The PT111 has higher capacity but carries very well and with my extended grips, the PT709 has the feel of a full size pistol. Both have enough heft so you don't get recoil-bite. I PERSONALLY think that the folks who carry a PT709 are far better looking but that is just my opinion but the gals who carry a PT111 are kind of cute. I have shot EVERY pocket sized 9mm and most truly suck in one way or the other except the Taurus offerings; can't go wrong with either. The only downside to the PT111 is that the Heinie sights are the spawn of satan! They can be easily swapped though (Williams Fire Sights are a vast improvement). AND DON'T CALL US GLOCKISH... geesh

·
Registered
66 Posts
Like said before, 709 takes some to get used to shoot well and had a bad rap sheet at the beginning. I took mine out on a date yesterday and no issues. I missed it. I am not familiar with the 111 but, used to shoot a 145. The PT trigger was smother.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
IMO, you need to try them both to see which one you like better. I also like the PT111 and the PT709 and as it was said above, each serves different purpose. My 24/7 C 9mm is also an excellent compact but I like the PT145 a bit better.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
The pt111 suits me just fine. "just my big" you might say. I have no experience withthe 709.
Yup, the Williams Firesights and some wrapping to fill my hand a little better.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Geesh, first it name callin' us Glockishes and now somebody prolly cussin me in French talk! What is next? MODERATORS? Get 'em... I think they must be liberals.
Now hooo-ooold on thar, Babalouie! No reason to use the 'L' word. :D Actually what it says is "I'm very sorry. I won't do it again." I just thought you might speak a little Austrian the way you like them triggers. :D:D Just yankin' your chain WG. But damn you yanked back hard - now I feel like I need to go take a shower after being called a lib. :D

·
Registered
36,588 Posts
Now hooo-ooold on thar, Babalouie! No reason to use the 'L' word. :D Actually what it says is "I'm very sorry. I won't do it again." I just thought you might speak a little Austrian the way you like them triggers. :D:D :D
GEEEZZZ! I can't take you guys anywhere!!
Kangerooes are made in Austria , Glocks are made in Smyrna!----:stupid:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I own a 111. A few weeks ago I was thinking that I wanted a smaller 9mm. I went and held a 709 at my lgs. I thought to myself that it isn't much different then my 111. Needless to say I decided to stick with what I have. I am just saying that I didn't feel there was much difference between the two.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
They are both great CC pistols. For myself, unless I needed the slimmer profile of the Slim, I would probably go with the PT111 (more capacity). But actually, I would go with the PT140 because I like the .40 better than the 9mm.

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
Two things not mentioned so far:
Empty, the PT709 weighs in at about 18oz while the PT111 weighs 24oz (I don't care what the Taurus catalogue says: my postal scale is more reliable.) So you're talking almost half a pound difference. Fill the mag on a PT111 and it probably is 1/2 lb.

Next, field stripping. In addition to a Glockish trigger safety, the PT709 has a Glockish takedown system - in my opinion far superior and easier to master than the infernal Millenium Pro takedown.

BTW, I own one of each and both are good shooters. About 1000 rounds through the 709 so far and about 500 through the PT111.

·
Registered
36,588 Posts
The nice thing about both guns is that recoil is minimized compared to other guns of their kind.
I agree! the single gun that most surprized me in felt recoil was my 24/7 C Pro D/S in 45 acp.
I still don't know where all that recoil goes?
i keep looking at the ground to see if it just falls out the bottom of the gun or something haven't found it on the ground yet though?
I guess its those dual recoil springs?

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you're going to pocket holster carry, even part of the time, get the 709. If you plan to carry IWB all the time, no exceptions, get the PT-111. I have a 24/7 Pro C (very similar in size to the Mil Pro) and I have a 709. Here in SC the laws require us to disarm in quite a few situations, I prefer to pocket carry under those circumstances so that I can remove the gun, pocket holster and all. I also have an IWB holster for the 709, for some reason the length of the 709 causes any IWB holster to dig into my hip bone eventually. It's great in the pocket though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts