Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my new PT1911 out to the range and am very pleased with accuracy, reasonably pleased with reliability (needs further breaking in - only 150 rounds fired so far - and should smooth out), but I had a tough time with my first teardown and cleaning.

After some wrestling, shooting the spring into my TV, and a couple of taps (plastic faced jewler's hammer) to break the slide free when it jammed during reassembly, I have it together and functioning.

Results:

1. It slides smoothly (more so than when I first bought it).
2. It passes all function tests including firing pin tests.
3. Has a slight bit of slop (side to side) between the slide and frame. In the rear the slop is about a millimeter or two of motion. In the front the range of motion is perhaps twice that.

All in all it is not much, but I do not remember if the slop was there before. I have held other 1911's that had some slop, so maybe I didn't just damage my new toy.

Any slop/motion in any other PT1911's out there?

·
Registered
48 Posts
A millimeter or two of slop between the slide and frame sounds extreme. Something sounds seriously out of place. Maybe post some pics if you can.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No camera with me tonight. So instead I broke out a ruler and found that I was over estimating the slop. The actual slop is closer to 0.15-0.20 in the rear and 0.70-0.80 in the front. Neither actually came up to a full millimeter in range.

It is just enough that if you wiggle/yaw the gun side to side you can feel it.

Does that help?

·
Registered
48 Posts
You know there is a disassembly guide right here on the forum? I don't think the slide should have jammed during reassembly requiring the use of a hammer.

I don't believe that my pt1911 has that much slop. Seems odd for a brand new gun.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
impulsive7 said:
You know there is a disassembly guide right here on the forum? I don't think the slide should have jammed during reassembly requiring the use of a hammer.

I don't believe that my pt1911 has that much slop. Seems odd for a brand new gun.
Please don't rub it in! I saw it literally minutes after the events of which I am embarrassed to speak... :(

Basically the slide jammed forward with the slide stop pin 80% of the way in and jammed. WHY? Because my stupid %&#&# did two things wrong at the same time - did not use the slide up trick in the movie on this forum, and two had prematurely installed the slide spring. The slide slipped out of my fingers, jumped forward enough to jam harder than you would think possible.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took it to an IPSC shoot today and the slop had no effect at all. IT SHOT GREAT! Or at least far better than I can shoot, and way better than the 24/7 that preceded it.

·
32,616 Posts
Welcome to the school of hard knocks. :)

From staff to forum members, there many ooops moments somewhere along the line, but it happens. Glad to hear that things are working out.

For example, it would have helped way back when, if I had lowered the ejector in the Ruger like it said in the instructions. This was prior to disassembly. Had fun undoing the consequences of that one. :) Took some time, but it was corrected. :)

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
SO did ya end up with any idiot marks on it yet? I know I have one from my first attempt at breaking down a 1911 ;D

·
Registered
4 Posts
I too have noticed that there is some play in the slide to frame fit on my PT 1911. I just got it two days ago, put about 100 rounds through it, broke it down and cleaned it as per the handy guide posted here, and I have noticed that there's some slop now. The fit was nice and tight when I bought it, but not quite so much now. Any idea what the score might be with this?

·
Registered
276 Posts
My PT1911 has a very slight amount of side to side play on the slide which is to be expected. Keep in mind that a 1911 is a combat pistol and wasn't made with laser precision in fitting. The gun needs to be able to expand and contract in all sorts of different extremes to maintain reliability. You should be able to shoot that sucker in the polar north, and turn around the next day and shoot it in blistering hot 125 degree desert heat. You want to be able to drop the gun in the mud and have a tank roll over it, pick it up and fire it.

Of course, you don't want to much play in the slide then it will just fall right off. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good to know, Pierce, it being my first 1911 and all. Sucker shot like you wouldn't believe. I'm not a great shot, but 1 1/2 inches at ten yards is unheard of for me, and I shot a group that size with that gun (once). It goes without saying that I'm pretty happy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have long railed about tight 1911's and how they are a pox to the platform. The original, military issue guns rattled like a Model T, and obviously worked fine. Complaints of accuracy (at that time) can surely be blamed on the horrible sights, not the slop. Your own experience bears that out. Besides, a half a millimeter of slop is pretty much nothing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts