Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My PT111 Mil-pro (3rd gen) will not allow me to rack the slide. A round is chambered and I don't know what to do. Earlier on it did the same thing with an empty chamber. I had to pull the trigger and it released the slide. I may have to wait until I get to the range in order to shoot out the round, Is this a bad idea? I removed the magazine and tried again, but it remains locked. What could be the cause of this all of a sudden?

Mike

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Is your safety engaged? If it doesn't appear to be, try engaging and then firmly dis-engaging it (KEEP THE GUN POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION WHILE DOING THIS!!!). On some guns the safety also locks the slide.

Steelheart

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The safety was/is not engaged. I was having problems engaging the safety after racking the slide. If I wiggled the trigger just a wee bit, it would allow the safety lever to engage (I did hear a slight click when I did this). This however, isn't a very safe practice. If I can't resolve this issue at the range, I will have to call Taurus CS. I may have a problem shipping a loaded gun to them. I'll see what will happen tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
OK, I didn't think it was likely but felt it was worth a shot since you were still online.

Good luck with it at the range.

Steelheart

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I read once some place that the internal lock screwed up and engaged. I know its a long shot but maybe try your gunlock key and see if something is mucking up on that end.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DRAEGER said:
I read once some place that the internal lock screwed up and engaged. I know its a long shot but maybe try your gunlock key and see if something is mucking up on that end.
BINGO!!! give that man a cigar.
I took the 111 out to the range today and did just what you said (before I read the post, go figure). Afterwards, the slide racked and after 100 rounds shot through it. I am happy to report that my mil-pro is back in business.

Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had considered the internal lock when I first read this thread, but had never heard of one engaging unintentionally so I dismissed the possibility.

I like having the lock there, in case I ever have kids over or some such.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I never use the lock on any of my guns that have them so I forgot they existed. Definitely one for us to remember. Glad you got it back up and working without a vacation to Florida.

Steelheart

1 - 8 of 8 Posts