Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Slide unlocking when magazine is put in

2K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Taurus24740cal 
#1 ·
My wife used her new 24/7 pro 9mm :D to qualify for her CHL (concealed handgun license...that's what they call it in Texas) and it shot beautifully, but as we were "locking and loading" at the firing line (I was standing next to her) I noticed she was at the ready position a lot faster than I was (I was using my father-in-law's S&W 5906 to qualify) I asked her about it after we finished and she said it just closed by itself when she slapped the magazine into place.
I wasn't sure if that was some kind of new feature, or if something was loose, or what; but I'm not thinking that's normal.

Has anyone else had this happen? and if so, how did you fix it?

There are no other problems with the gun, but I would like to have it in perfect working order....if it's not

#2 ·
First of all, welcome from Dallas.

There is a similar thread going right now regarding this. It seems to me that I have it narrowed down to being one of my magazines in my 24/7 Pro 45 cal - my other mag works normally, but this one will release the slide when I slap the magazine in. It isn't really a 'problem' per se, and some people like it because it saves you a second or two releasing the slide. If it bothers you, you may want to contact Taurus to see if they could replace your mags......assuming it IS the mags, but that is what I have narrowed mine down to.

#4 ·
This is supposed to happen when you slap the mag in. If you ease the mag in then you will have to manually release the slide lock. Otherwise, slapping it in will automatically close the slide. I personally like the feature!

#5 ·
Taurus24740cal said:
This is supposed to happen when you slap the mag in. If you ease the mag in then you will have to manually release the slide lock. Otherwise, slapping it in will automatically close the slide. I personally like the feature!
I didn't realize this was supposed to happen. Sometimes mine will do it other times it won't. I like when it does it though.

#7 ·
Ive found the same thing. If I slam it in in a hurry it will slide into full battery but If I am gentle with it and slide it in it doesnt slam forward.

#12 ·
When you have a chance slam a empty mag in it should not do it only when the mag has a round in it if it does do it empty there might be a small problem but nothing to worry about considering a empty gun is not much of a danger my 24/7 .45 does this and i find it to be great in fast loading situations my buddy got a XD45 about a month ago and it does not have this feature and he hates that.

#16 ·
I'm new here, & I know this is the 24/7 area, but I'm reading it anyway...

:)

Is this ( the slide closing when a mag is slammed in) a "feature" only on the 24/7s?

My PT111 MilPro does -not- do this.

Just curious..

THanks..
Tim

#19 ·
tman ... did it just happen that once that you noticed, or was it repeatable?
I've -tried- several times, slamming the crap outta' the mag putting it in, but.. my slide never budged out of the locked open position!

Hmm..

Tim

#20 ·
Frankly speaking, I decided after that to lighten up a little when I changed mags. I was doing my off-duty / backup qualification, so the mag changes were a little hurried.

I have been previously told by my instructor that Glocks are designed to do this as well if you put the mag in and slam it the "right" way. We have been advised not to rely on it happening and "slingshot" the slide afte reloads.

I guess I don't really consider this a feature. If it was designed that way, I believe the owners manual would mention it. I think it's just something that happens occasionally.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.