Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a PT92 AF should I use the slide release to load another round from a fresh mag, or should I use some other method? Should I pull the slide back and then hit the release and then let the slide close to take some of the pressure off the parts? I have read about other guns that you should let the recoil spring do what its supposed to do and never help it. I am afraid of wearing down the release so it won't catch and do it's job anymore. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
58 Posts
A properly made slide stop/release should not wear down because you use it to drop the slide on a fresh mag.

It is a recent "tacti-cool" affectation that says you shouldn't use the slide release as it was intended... a silly notion IMNSHO.

·
32,788 Posts
It would be hard to wear the slide release out anyway. Since either school of thought works use the one that works for you. Some semi-autos do have an issue with shifting point of bullet strike on target depending on method of of release by sling shotting the slide to release it or hitting the lever or button. Not all pistols do this nor are the gun gurus all on the same page with this issue. Some people have trouble reaching the slide release without changing their handgrip. This can cause a time consuming hand regrip or bobble when time counts. So some just resort to sling shooting the slide and be done with it.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Some people chose to usually sling-shot the slide as it uses large muscle groups that will work fine if you are having a serious adrenaline dump. Hitting the slide release uses small muscle groups that may not work well with the dump, its that whole fine motor skill thing.

Others use the sling-shot method as they shoot various pistols and the same method works for all of them, some guns have the release is slightly different locations. And if you are like me and usually can't reach the thing without adjusting your grip a bit...

Steelheart

·
Registered
58 Posts
The fine motor skill argument sort of falls apart when you talk about manipulating the trigger under that same "adrenaline dump"... If you can't hit a slide release, you ain't gonna be able to pull a trigger either, as its also a "fine motor skill", and nobody ever suggests you cut out the bottom of the trigger guard, make the trigger the length of the grip and use your whole hand to manipulate it! ;D

That whole idea is just more tacti-cool silliness, which doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can reach it just fine, and I didn't know that you could slingshot it..... this being my first handgun and all and I have only shot it once because I live about 40 miles from my gravel pit that I shoot at. And its winter so there is about a foot of snow up there still, but rest assured im gonna be putting some holes in things this spring and summer. Thanks everyone for your info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts