Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greeting all:
Bought a new Pt22 yesterday at a gun show. Took it to the range today to try it out. Put 20 rounds through it of Remington LR's, on the 21 shoot the slide flew off and no I can't seem to get it to go back on. Check the manual, tried to line up the "ears" but it was a no go. Anyone else have a similar problem? Is this something that I should send back to the factory for inspection and repair?

Thanks.:confused:

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Nobody popped in yet? Sorry about that.

Were you able to get the slide back on, yet?

If not, you will need to rotate the barrel as far forward as it can go after releasing it with the release lever. The you can start the slide in front of the rear frame rails, move the slide back on the rails (this may require some pressure at the end of travel to move the hammer back a tad), and press the front part of the slide down. Rotate the barrel back down and latch it under the release catch. You can do that by moving the release lever to ease the barrel down, or you can press the barrel down hard until it snaps in place.

I have heard that when firing, if the barrel release lever is accidentally pressed that the barrel will fly up allowing the slide to go free. If that is the case, it would happen in an instant.

Anyway, please report back and Welcome To Taurus Armed! :cool:

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
I just to check on my previous comment.

I don't have the Taurus, but I just looked at my Beretta version of that Taurus. The only way I could hit the barrel release lever would be with my left hand thumb while shooting right handed using a two handed grip. Shooting one handed in my right hand, it just couldn't happen.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Greeting all:
Bought a new Pt22 yesterday at a gun show. Took it to the range today to try it out. Put 20 rounds through it of Remington LR's, on the 21 shoot the slide flew off and no I can't seem to get it to go back on. Check the manual, tried to line up the "ears" but it was a no go. Anyone else have a similar problem? Is this something that I should send back to the factory for inspection and repair?

Thanks.:confused:
Sounds like someone, prior to your purchase, took the gun apart & put it back together incorrectly. Can't help you without seeing the gun. Didn't you get some booklet showing the field stripping operation? If not, check the Taurus website.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the suggestions. The guide is not really helpful because it does not show good detail. Finally figured out what the "ears" are. Then it went together without any problem. Now if it just stays in one piece when next I go to the range, all will be well. Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
27,001 Posts
Also when using the PT22 if you accidently hit the mag release button while firing...will cause the same thing.
No they do not give t-shirts out that say Duhhhh!

·
Registered
1 Posts
PT22 Slide Problems

Just took delivery on new PT22, how much force should it take to push slide back. Look I shoot a Beretta FS92, aGlock 19 and a Bersa Thuhder and none of those slides have to be FORCED open. Anyone have that experience, also there was not a wittness casing in the box, all guns I have purchased new have had a wittness casing.

·
Registered
289 Posts
My wife's is finally loosening up a bit after at least 500 rnds. That's why it always has one in the pipe, they are a PIA to rack. Hopefully it's been cleaned and lightly oiled. Like any gun, the more you shoot it the better it becomes. Be patient.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just took delivery on new PT22, how much force should it take to push slide back. Look I shoot a Beretta FS92, aGlock 19 and a Bersa Thuhder and none of those slides have to be FORCED open. Anyone have that experience, also there was not a wittness casing in the box, all guns I have purchased new have had a wittness casing.

The PT-22 has the flip up barrel, you don't need to push the slide, and I believe in the manual it tell you not to do that . . in essence you have one in the pipe that 'primes' the gun and from there, every fire causes shell ejection and slide movement.

That's how mine works, and it has worked fine for over 500 rounds.

CD

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Although the Taurus manual for the 22 does say you can chamber the first round by cycling the slide, i wouldn't recommend it. The firing pin sits almost flush on the slide, and since this is rimfire ammo, you could potentially fire a round accidentally by doing so. My normal routine is load 8 in the mag and insert it, open the barrel, apply the safety, drop one in and close the barrel. All set at the range or for carry, and since it's DAO, you're ready to shoot as fast as you can knock off the safety.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts