Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a mistake today while breaking down my PT145 for the first time. The pin that holds the barrel/slide onto the frame can go in backwards. When that happens, it is really difficult to get it back out. Just make sure to watch how it came out.

Todd

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have any pictures, but I'll try to explain. The pin has a lever on the end of it that you use to pull the pin out of the slide. That lever is like an "L" in that the pin is at one end of the lever. There is a groove in the frame that allows you to twist the lever around before pulling it out. If you put the pin in with the lever to the left instead of to the right, it will go in, but it is tough getting it back out.

Does this make sense?

Todd

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
I say find something to knock it back out wiht from the opposite side. It went in, so it should come right back out. You may have to twist it before it will release easliy.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I got it back out, but it took a little work. This was just a heads-up...

Todd

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In my case I stuck a small screwdriver under the lever and pried it back out. There is a wire or spring in there that the lip will get stuck under. You have to push that wire down, then pry the lever back out.

Todd

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I'm not an expert, but I believe that all you would need to do when trying to pull the pin is to rotate the lever to the bottom and withdraw as in normal disassemblly. When you insert the pin with the lever toward the back of the gun (normal position) that wire keeps the lever from coming loose by accident. When inserting the lever, notice there is a notch that will slide under the wire, then rotate the pin to pull the wire to the top of the pin and insert... making sure the lever finds its normal position.

Did that confuse you enough?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Cimarron said:
When inserting the lever, notice there is a notch that will slide under the wire, then rotate the pin to pull the wire to the top of the pin and insert... making sure the lever finds its normal position.
I just went and took mine apart and put it back together to make sure I wasn't doing it wrong. On my 24/7 the pin is inserted above the wire, not under the wire. It doesn't go, at least I won't force it to, under the wire. Did I read your post wrong?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I put mine above the wire too. Is this correct, the first time I removed it I didn't notice if it was under or over.

When I insert the pin, once past the spring, I rotate the lever into the normal (3 o'clock) operating position (vs. the 6oclock position to begin disassembly)and push it straight in, it snaps right down.
Is this how you guys do it?

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
Above the wire.

The wire is actually a spring that holds tension on the slide lock mechanism.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had the same problem. I have a PT-145. Pretty sure its a 1st generation. I bought it back in 2001. Curious about trouble getting the take down pin out. I have to pry mine out(scary :mad:) with a small screwdriver.

Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts