Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a two month old PT92 in 9mm with maybe 250-300 rounds through it. Over the weekend, the slide failed to completely close three or four times - out of maybe 75 rounds or so. It would feed a new round but stop with something like an eigth of an inch or so from being completely closed. Of course (thank goodness) it will not fire like that. Usually I could close it with pressure from both thumbs. Once I had to give it a little tap with the butt of another pistol. The gun had been cleaned with CLP Break Free, wiped down, followed by a thin coat of Hoppe's gun oil. What can I try now to get more reliability in this handgun?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my PT111. People have suggested that it needs to go on a trip to Florida to be fixed. My local smithie did find some rough spots on the slide that were holding it up, and smoothed them out a bit. The slide fails to close less often now, but it still happens. I've had this problem right out of the box with this new gun. I have a class this week, and after the class I think it's time for the gun to go to Taurus for repair.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
high5apparatus said:
I'm having the same problem with my PT111. People have suggested that it needs to go on a trip to Florida to be fixed.... I've had this problem right out of the box with this new gun. I have a class this week, and after the class I think it's time for the gun to go to Taurus for repair.
Thanks for the reply, although that's ("trip to Florida") not what I wanted to hear. My problem started "out of the box" too; I was hoping shooting several hundred rounds might break it in and it would correct itself. Not yet.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I've put close to 300 rounds through mine, and instead of happening 3 out of 5 shots, it now happens 1 out of 12. That's better, but still not good enough if I'm supposed to trust my life to it.

·
Administrator
17,595 Posts
If the Gunshop that sold either of these malfunctioning pistols has a Gunsmith Service, you might ask them to have a look at them, since you bought them there. Other than that, it's back to Taurus.

I can't really Gunsmith these Pistols without physically seeing them! Not enough Info and the Problems seem unusual at best.

I can say that all 4 of my Taurus Pistols have been "trust your life to it" reliable, right out of the box. My first one was a PT92 and the latest a 9mm 24/7 Pro. The PT92 has some 18,000 rounds thru it!

·
21,932 Posts
I can say that all 4 of my Taurus Pistols have been "trust your life to it" reliable, right out of the box. My first one was a PT92 and the latest a 9mm 24/7 Pro. The PT92 has some 18,000 rounds thru it!
Same here. The 22 year old pt92 had to have a trigger bar after several thousand rounds. Other than that just change the oil and rotate the tires.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Check the recoil rod. You might have twisted it up a bit and it's not springing correctly. I was previously trying to disassemble mine and then it wouldnt work properly. Fixed it back to normal now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts