Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a duotone Pt1911 which has maybe 1k of rounds through it. I have a wilson bushing compensator installed on it. When I went to the range I noticed the safety would no longer engage... meaning the slide did not go far enough fwd for it too slip behind the groove in slide. I field stripped it down expecting to find a buildup somewhere and did a thorough cleaning. When I reassembled it it was still the same. I took out the bushing and when I pushed slide fwd enough so safety would engage the barrel slants downward at the end of the barrel more than the bushing would allow. When the bushing is installed (even tried the original factory bushing ) the slide will not move far enough fwd to allow the safety to slip past the slide. Except for the compensator and firesights it is stock. The safety worked up until this range trip. I filed off about 1/32" of the safety tang and it will now engage . Any ideas ? Why would pushing the slide all the way fwd cant the bbl all of sudden ? By all the way fwd ... i mean about 1/64" more than with the bushing installed.

·
Super Moderator
40,324 Posts
Hey Dave, welcome aboard from Northern Illinois! I got a 1911 'smith to install my single sided safety on my PT 1911 so I won't be too much help. We do have some very knowledgeable 1911 folks here who should be along shortly.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Welcome to TA.net!

Back around Christmas, Wilson had the Wilson Multi-Comp Bushing Compensator on sale, and I was considering picking one up. One
thing I noticed was that it required changing the guide rod/plug.

From their site:

Adding a Multi-Comp Compensator to your 1911 Auto is as fast and easy as changing out the barrel bushing. Since the Multi-Comp can be
used with your stock barrel, you have greater flexibility with your pistol at minimal cost. The Multi-Comp works on all Government length (5")
1911 Autos with .576 - .580 muzzle O.D. in calibers up to and including .45 ACP. Requires Wilson Combat #148,5 Two-Piece Guide Rod or
stock recoil spring plug shortened to 1.2".
Not sure if not upgrading the rod/plug would lead to the issue you describe, but worth looking into.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to TA.net!

Back around Christmas, Wilson had the Wilson Multi-Comp Bushing Compensator on sale, and I was considering picking one up. One
thing I noticed was that it required changing the guide rod/plug.

From their site:

Not sure if not upgrading the rod/plug would lead to the issue you describe, but worth looking into.
Ok this is my bad. I have the Wilson comp on my Ruger and I did change the guide rod to a FLGR .(never did get an answer from Wilson about why because this made using the comp a pain. ) This comp is an ebay special on my Taurus but the guide rod in a taurus is a FLGR anyway. The barrel shows no damage anywhere and just usual marking at barrel from bushing. I have had several 1911's over the years and this has always been my favorite over even my Kimbers. This kinda baffles me because it worked fine for years.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
You have to be careful changing bushings in a 1911 - it relates directly to the barrel fit. If you've got a bushing that's too tight or causes the lug to recess fit to suffer, you're asking for trouble. You can check it by removing the slide and recoil spring - install the barrel and the bushing on the slide, and see if you can push barrel lugs farther into the recesses. If you feel it spring a little you're bushing is probably too tight. It can (and should) be fitted, but it generally takes a gunsmith to do it.

As far as the problem you're describing, I've seen the same thing with Wilson Shock Buff's. Those rubber buffers are pretty much snake oil as far as I'm concerned, and they generally do more harm than good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You have to be careful changing bushings in a 1911 - it relates directly to the barrel fit. If you've got a bushing that's too tight or causes the lug to recess fit to suffer, you're asking for trouble. You can check it by removing the slide and recoil spring - install the barrel and the bushing on the slide, and see if you can push barrel lugs farther into the recesses. If you feel it spring a little you're bushing is probably too tight. It can (and should) be fitted, but it generally takes a gunsmith to do it.

As far as the problem you're describing, I've seen the same thing with Wilson Shock Buff's. Those rubber buffers are pretty much snake oil as far as I'm concerned, and they generally do more harm than good.
I don't use Shock buffs at all so that's out. I did have to fit the comp but the fitting is very straight fwd. And the problem is the same even w/o the comp using the factory Taurus bushing. Guess it may be time to box it up and send it to Taurus. I can and have filed the safety down so it will engage on the slide and the gun functions normally shooting 200 gr lswc.

·
Super Moderator
40,324 Posts
I was hoping that Cuban would come on and read your thread. He is very knowledgeable of 1911's and has assisted many members before.

Reactions: RichO

·
Super Moderator
40,324 Posts
Commissioner Gordon needs to flash the big "C" spotlight on the night sky! :D

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Commissioner Gordon needs to flash the big "C" spotlight on the night sky! :D
Hmmm.... I believe he lives nearby me... I don't have a floodlight, but I can put a black sharpie to a Mag-light... lol

Reactions: dbeardslee
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.