Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellers,

I'm new to the forum and have looked around for someone experiencing a similar issue to mine, but have come up short.

I own a Taurus 709 Slim that has served me well enough in the couple hundred rounds I've fired through it, except for the issue as stated in the thread topic.

Whether using a full magazine or partially filled, there's a 30% the slide will lock back (as if empty) with the last round left in the magazine.

It is an easy failure to work around, as all I have to do is release the slide to fire that last round, but the issue is still something I would like to figure out...

My theory is that the bullet of the last round is somehow engaging the slide lock lever. Looking at the clearance, there isn't much between the bullet and the slide lock... Perhaps a "blunter" bullet shape would help the problem? Filing down the slide lock that comes in contact with the magazine follower? I'm not sure. Just speculating.

It would be great to hear your thoughts on my issues, especially if it is something you've experience with.

·
Registered
24,809 Posts
Welcome to TA from Minnesota. Some have experienced the same problem. There will be someone along shortly to help you.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
First thing to do is to see what it's catching on. Easy enough to do - put one round in the magazine, pull the slide back, and look down into the action and see what's making contact with the slide lock tab. It's either going to be a bullet, or the follower. If the bullet is the culprit, then you have to remove a little material from the slide lock tab.

If it's the follower, you have to look closely and see if the tab is on the shelf, or if it's hitting above the shelf. If it's on the shelf you have to lower it bit. If it's above the shelf you have to lengthen it enough to allow the tab to make contact on the shelf itself.

Whatever you wind up doing - go slow and check your work often. You can always take more material off, but you can't put it back on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I suppose it will be worth looking into removing some material from the slide lock tab to create more clearance. Thank you guys for your insight.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I'm going to say it again - see what it's catching on first. It won't do you any good if you fix something that's not causing the problem. However, when you fix things that aren't broke they often end up that way. If you're sure it's the slide lock tab, don't remove any more material than you absolutely have to.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
I too believe the round profile is making contact with the little tab. As the rounds get striped out of the magazine, the tend to move forward in the magazine and then the bullet hits the little tab. You can verify all this as mentioned above. Removing a little material form the tab would be the way to solve this, but as mentioned, only take a little off and then check. You will need to load a round in the magazine and then push it as far forward as you can to simulate the round moving forward in the magazine, which is when it is hitting the tab. Then slide the magazine back in the gun, with the slide off, and you can see if it is still going to hit it.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Welcome from Iowa! Seems as though I've heard of others with this problem on the 709.. Hope it works out for ya!

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Welcome from Missouri! I had that happen once with my pt709. I'm not sure what caused it but what I noticed was my mag looked dirty (the yellow part). I wiped it off with a paper towel, reloaded and began firing again. No more issue. So try cleaning the mag also re clean gun (you probably do this after going to range every time anyway). Good luck.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Welcome from StL. MO.
Yes, proceed deliberately and with caution!
Post results for the hive!!

I've been shooting a 709 with 4 mags for some time now and never encountered this issue - fwiw.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine does his sometimes, too. I have verified it is the rounded profile of the fmj round hitting the slide lock. The bullet seems to be moving forward in the magazine. It seems to take a few magazines worth of shooting before this problem occurs. I too can wipe down the mag and solve the problem. For me, the problem is rare enough and the cause is known so I don't really worry about it. I have used fmj only so I cannot comment on any other ammo.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Havent had this problem yet. Have put about 170 rounds through mine. I bought it used for 360, prolly paid too much, but hey, i was excited. They gave me 390 on my remington 1100 duck gun i never hunted with and didnt feel like shooting 3 inch rounds to get it to cycle shooting trap.

Reactions: N6CRV

·
Registered
98 Posts
My thoughts were that the slide catch was being pushed up by the magazine follower because the follower was tipping. The follower seemed to small for the mag. So, I roughed up the back of the follower and with a little HF two part epoxy, I applied it to the back of the follower. After it was good and dry, I sanded the epoxy down until it fit the mag, slid up and down with no catching. I lubed it with graphite powder and made sure it did not catch in the mag and ran smoothly. That cured my problem at once.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just shot my new 709 yesterday and had the same problem. Had about 4/5 failed to feed on the last round. Only have about 170 through it so far using three different brands of 115gr FMJ. Came home and cleaned gun along with taking the magazine completely apart. I did find a lot of debris in the magazine so we'll see what happens next time out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ur slide was coming up too far out of the magazine?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts