Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crud....

yup the slide on my 745 just locked up...was dry firing it to smooth out trigger with snap caps and suddenly I couldn't get the slide back...cant get the pin out to disasemble it either.....my faith in it just dropped 100%

Any advice before I have to ship it off?

The slide will move about 1/4 inch, but that is it..:mad:

·
Registered
102 Posts
For the record, I've never handled this model pistol although I have years of experience with many different models from most modern manufacturers. Sounds like a snap cap is caught somewhere. Remove the mag, push up on the slide from inside the magwell with something, while trying to move the slide forward. After that, try to draw the slide back to eject the snap cap. Maybe the extractor didn't slip over the rim of the snapcap and something froze up (some people go easy on plastic snap caps for fear of breaking them). You can also try to push the snap cap back by sticking something through the muzzle (plastic pen with a blunt tip or cap) and pulling back on the slide at the same time. Since you weren't firing it, chances are it's something simple. In all likelihood, you can't remove the take down pin because the barrel and slide aren't in the locked position. Good luck.

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
You didn't mention it, so I'll ask: Is your trigger stuck in the backward position?
If so, pushing it forward should unlock everything (had a lockup on my PT111 and that was the cure my LGS got from a phone call to Taurus.)

·
Super Moderator
19,864 Posts
You didn't mention it, so I'll ask: Is your trigger stuck in the backward position?
If so, pushing it forward should unlock everything (had a lockup on my PT111 and that was the cure my LGS got from a phone call to Taurus.)
Ditto this comment. There is something in the trigger mechanism/assembly which affects slide movement. My slide locked in my last cleaning session with one of my MilPros and pushing the trigger back to its forward position released everything. Worth a try to avoid a Miami vacation if you haven't done it yet. . . .

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
btw- got the snap cap out with the help of a dowel rod and leather mallet- slide moved back fine with some help, but then cam forward and locked up again....crud, i really was liking this gun...but how can I trust it 100% once i get it back...it is for CCP carry...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Anders, I have the same 745 and haven't ever experienced slide-lock-up like you explained. You ask "how can I ever trust this piece 100% ever again"??? How can we trust a piece 100% of the time anyways? We say we've never had a FTF or a FTE but there may be a time when we need it and it does exactly that. Its a piece made by human hands and bullets made by machines. We hope and expect that in a time of need, everything will work as planned. We train for the worst and hope for the best. Don't give up on the 745. Snap caps are not live ammo and the scenerio you explained is not giving the weapon a fair shot. If we gave up on our kids that easy, boy, we'd all be in the nuthouse!!!! Let Taurus do their work on it and when you get it back, bang a couple hundred rounds thru it. If it worked fine, and it were mine, I'd put it into service and trust the shooter for what it was intended. The 745 is a finer piece I've had the pleasure of bustin' caps with. JMHO Semper-fi MIke

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
I agree with marine and that's the reason I carry a BUG as well (the SR9c) in addition to the PT145 and hope that I never have to use any of them.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
Something like this happened to my PT-145 when I bought it 3 years ago. After putting about 75 rounds through it the day I bought it, I get it home and when I went to clean it, the slide would only move about a 1/4 of an inch. Long story short, it went back the next day and when I called them they told me the sear had broke. The up side is, it has been flawless since. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, sorry was a bit frustrated...had some my other carry gun and now my full size M&P is my carry till it gets back- guess I will load up 300 plus round to run through it when it gets back, if it runs perfectly, its back in the stable...

·
Registered
239 Posts
my carry is the 745 if that happens to mine i'm going back the CZ 9mm I'm sending 327 mag back tomorrow for the second time in less than a month.Some one in QC better get on the stick,they are not the only game in town. now I love 745 and have had no problem after doing some sight adjustment work on it from new,and I really love that 327 mag it seeems they can't get the cyl alignment right or the slop out of the lock up .Got me fingers crossed for the second trip ~~RR~~

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Sorry to learn that you're having problems with your pistol. Taurus should take good care of it.

This seems to be happening frequently with folks using snap caps.

Personally, I'd rather loosen everything up by live firing the gun...but, hey, that's just me. ;)

Reactions: CNCSC

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I too would raher shoot than snap... :) but nw my carry gun is a full size M&P that has 3K rounds through it...love it but have to dress more careful...hope she comes back in top form but will shoot the devil out of her before she is my main carry again...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts