Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a new pt-140 3rd gen from a local shop. I cleaned and lubed the gun with CLP and went to the range to try it out. I racked the slide and loaded a round into the chamber. Everything felt fine and I was a little surprised at how smooth it felt for such an "affordable"
weapon. I took aim at the target and fired a shot. The gun discharged fine and ejected the spent case, but I noticed a slight hesitation in the slide before chambering the next round and locking into battery. I fired a second shot and noticed the same condition. The third shot fired and locked the slide back but not by the slide release. I could move the slide release button freely but the slide stayed back. After a few minutes of playing with it I freed the slide. I took it out to the shop owner to have a look at it. He field stripped it sprayed some CLP on it, wiped it down and reassembled it. I then loaded a fresh 10rd mag and fired 6 shots with no problems, on the 7th shot the slide locked back again, this time no one could free it, so back to Taurus it goes. I was told that the recoil spring was the likely cause but I didn't see it sticking out the front. So has anyone seen or heard about this before? What do you think could be wrong with this weapon? Should I expect to get it back anytime soon?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just got my gun back from Taurus and thought I'd post about what they found. They said the slide release was replaced and the feed ramp was polished. I can't remember what the feed ramp looked like before,having only had the gun for an hour, but it sure looks slick now.
I lubed it up and fired 50 rounds through it pretty fast as a mini torture test. Once or twice a mag the slide would go back to battery sluggishly which caused me to pull the trigger faster than the slide could load the next round. All I had to do was pull the trigger a second time and the gun would fire. The slide never locked up like it was doing before. I wonder if the gun just needs to be "shot in" some more or if it needs a second trip back to the factory. I really don't think the slide release was the cause in the first place because when the slide locked I could still move the release button freely. I would think that If the slide release was to blame that the button would be stuck or hard to move. I'm going to go shoot 100 more rounds through it in a day or two and decide after that.

·
Registered
41 Posts
depending on issue and how long ago you purchased it, they could of prioritized it differently... also if you haven't seen your gun in 3 or 4 months, maybe its time to call Taurus and find out what on Earth they are doing with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I only live an hour north of Miami but I doubt that made much of a difference. I just hope the gun works as it should and that i don't have to send it back again. The firearms industry is the only one I know of that can sell products that don't work and can get away with it! I bought a gun that did not function properly when new and after firing less than 20 rounds can not be returned. I am stuck with this brand new " secondhand gun" that I will never trust.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just got back from the range and am a bit frustrated. After a real good cleaning from the last range trip I found a few burs on the slide rails and base of the ejector. I took a fine file and smoothed them out. I lubed the gun and went to the range. The same sluggish slide problem surfaced. I fired 100 rds through it thinking it may smooth out. Up to this point I had been using speer lawman ammo from the range. I bought a box of 165 gr gold dots to test as this is my SD ammo of choice. I fired a mag through it with no problem! I thought the extra velocity may have helped the problem. I began to fire a second mag and on the 3rd shot it locked up just like it had done in the first place. I managed to free it up and told the shop owner that it still was not fixed. He said that it is taurus' problem not his! How's that for customer service! I think I may just take the hit and sell it back to him for a loss of about $150 just to get rid of it! I really wanted a P-99c but saw the price of the taurus and thought it was too good to be true. Turned out it was!

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
Well no one can tell you which way to go. If it was me, and I liked everything but this problem about the gun. I would get the seller to help you get it back to Taurus. He should at least do that for you. But if you feel you would never be happy, get the other gun you wanted and be happy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I really liked the size and feel of the gun but even if I sent it back again I doubt I would ever fully trust this weapon. I'm not anti millennium pro, just this one has proven unreliable.

·
Registered
117 Posts
All have their probs during thier runs, once read about a Glock .40 blowing out its ejector and killing the person next to the shooter

·
Registered
339 Posts
quote author=twp187 link=topic=5771.msg54142#msg54142 date=1207280754]
Well I only live an hour north of Miami but I doubt that made much of a difference. I just hope the gun works as it should and that i don't have to send it back again. The firearms industry is the only one I know of that can sell products that don't work and can get away with it! I bought a gun that did not function properly when new and after firing less than 20 rounds can not be returned. I am stuck with this brand new " secondhand gun" that I will never trust.
[/quote]

Three words:

Micro
Friggin
Soft

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
I know this is an old forum but, I picked up my PT145 Mill Pro on the Friday before fathers day. Took it to the range and put 70 rounds through it. Went to strip it down for cleaning and the slide was stuck shut. The next day took it back to the gun shop and they had to send it to Taurus. Call Taurus today and they said it would be 6-7 weeks before I would get it back. Great shooter, I hope all is well with it when I get it back.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Welcome to TaurusArmed, Bruiser. This is a fairly common occurance on Mil Pros. I haven't seen a detailed explanation and immediate fix, though. It happend to me too, and I took mine to a local gunsmith who inserted a screwdriver through the magazine well up under the slide, and with a light tap of the mallet, it broke free. Not sure exactly what he did.

But, he did use the hex-key on the SafetyLoc, which didn't get completely set back to the off position. Three shots later at the range, the firing pin block broke. Had to send it in for repair. Sent 9 April, returned 10 June. Aside from my own personal sighting issues, my PT145 shoots great, and I still love this little blaster.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts