Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got home with my new pt140 and went to break it down for initial cleaning and the slide locked up. Trigger is stuck in the pulled back position and the slide won't budge. Any advice?

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I took mine to my favorite gun shop and he did some magic to it and it slid off. Generally, jerking the slide back and forth and working the trigger gradually gets it to work. Someone else here may have better advice.

·
Super Moderator
19,803 Posts
Had same thing happen last night when I cleaned my PT145. When pulling the trigger for the "forward slide remove" part of the process, the slide wouldn't budge more than a mm or two past battery. And, as per your post, the trigger was "stuck" in the pulled back position. I popped it a few times from the rear and then from the front trying to get it to move but . . . . no dice. I finally slowly pulled the trigger back forward into neutral position and then felt a click and my slide had released and was freely movable again. I then tried the forward slide removal process again, after pulling the trigger, and - voila - slide slid right off and I proceeded to go thru the cleaning process. Putting it back together was uneventful.

Point of all this is that I've encountered "slide stick" on occasion when removing the slide for cleaning on both my 140 and 145 but last night's was the worst but seemed to indicate to me that the trigger position during slide removal is the critical step in the whole process. I'm not a gunsmith and have no idea why this is but something in the position of the trigger related parts is crucial to the stripping process of a MilPro for cleaning.

I will certainly be more mindful of this in future cleaning sessions.

·
Super Moderator
36,415 Posts
So when field stripping do you wait to pull then trigger once it is fully back to battery?
I do and have not had a problem (knock wood).

·
Registered
191 Posts
This happened to me the first time I was trying to break my PT145 down to clean the 40 oz of goop out of it before I fired it.

For my PT145, I have to follow this procedure to get it to come apart. Follow all the directions until after the removal pin is out. Then, rather than depressing the trigger while letting the slide go forward, I push the slide release and gently let the slide go forward to the normal position. I then pull the trigger and push the slide off. If I depress the trigger while letting the slide go forward, it locks tigher than Fort Knox.

If the trigger is back in the "fired position", reach underneath it and push it forward. It will cause the slide to go a bit backwards. Then, you can pull the trigger and push the slide assembly off.

PM me if you have any other questions.

·
Administrator
39,901 Posts
I pull the trigger and hold it then move the slide forward. When the slide meets resistance, I release the trigger and remove the slide.

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
I pull the trigger and pull the slide off in the same motion and have had no problems. I don't release the trigger until after the slide is off.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Mknight and Smokewagon. Tried what you are saying and it results in a locked up PT145 for me. The only way I can get it apart is to do the step by step I explained. Maybe after 1000 rounds, it'll behave itself. I'm just glad I figured out what works for mine without having to send it to CS.

Hey Grouzer. Did you get yours apart?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nope. But thanks much for the advice. It went to Taurus CS but I have already received two calls from the rep so the CS is looking good so far. Thanks again. When I get it back I am not touching the trigger until it is back to norm/battery.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts