Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how long can you keep the slide on a taurus pistol locked back? All guns tores do it, but how long before the springs get affected?

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
um.. well i would'nt store the gun like that but i know some locks go threw the action to secure it, personally i dont use gun glocks. i'd rather store them in a case or safe.. but then again i dont have any kinds around either.

theres really three trains of thought on this (for mag springs anyway i'd assume same would apply to recoil or hammer springs)

A: it is the amount of times the spring is compressed and decompressed.. cycles.. that wears it out.. and that compression (as long as it's not over compressed beyond it's design) will cause no wear or loss of springiness.

B: the longer a spring is compressed the less life it has, and it will eventually need replaced even if it's never cycled and used.

C: cycles and compression time both wear the spring out.

i tend to believe "C"
i would imagine compression time after a while hurts the spring what people call "spring set" where after so long it just kinda loses it's springiness and wants to keep it's compressed form..
and it's only logical that cycles also wear the spring.

i want to believe it's only cycles that cause it but logically my mind says it's actually compression time.

i dont think anyone knows 100% for sure.. since the debate has been and will continue to rage on untill someone does scientific study to figure out exactly what wears the spring the most.

i try to keep my guns decocked and slide forward when not in use, mags on the other hand i do keep loaded because if something happens i need them now.. and even if it wears them out quicker i'd rather have them when i need them then to save a few bucks buying new springs every once in a while.. its' unlikely they will lose their effectiveness overnight so i dont have any worries that oh it's been 6 months and my springs might be bad.

ymmv

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Great reply.. Joe

A: it is the amount of times the spring is compressed and decompressed.. cycles.. that wears it out.. and that compression (as long as it's not over compressed beyond it's design) will cause no wear or loss of springiness.
Bezoar..
found this in here..

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=3151.0

This has to do with springs in magazines, but great info on springs and how they work
It goes along with point (A) by Joe
Might help.. ;)

Good luck.. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts