Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*I'm new to guns and forums both, please take it easy on me*
So, I just bought a pt111 millennium g2 as my first handgun and i think there may be an issue. I also think its possible that i just dont know as much as i thought i did about guns...
Every time i pull the slide all the way back, as if i was chambering a bullet, the slide lock button catches and locks it back. It is also extremely difficult to push the button down with my thumb to spring it forward.
Am I being dumb? Is the slide lock is supposed to catch everytime you pull it back? I know the slide lock button shouldnt be this hard to push down but im figuring that will get better as its used over time.
I hope my first gun i've ever purchased isnt defective, but i also hope that my first internet forum post isn't making a fool of myself as well.
LOL
Please aid me with your wise words...

·
Registered
361 Posts
If, while you're "pulling the slide back," you have an empty magazine in the gun, then yes it should do that.

EDIT: Guess I type slow - post above me done while I was doing the old "hunt 'n peck!" :)

Reactions: EdinGeorgia

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
The gun is designed so the slide stays rearward when the last round is fired and the magazine is empty. This makes for quicker reloading as you just push the mag release and slide a new mag in, then push she slide release down chambering another round and you're good to go. I've never tried to push the slide release button with an empty mag installed but it makes sense to me that it would be harder to release the slide. Play with it and see what happens

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Don't be shy here. Lots of smart folks glad to help with all questions from rookie to expert. Welcome to the best gun Forum on the net!

·
Registered
14,790 Posts
If I understand correctly, you are starting with the slide locked to the rear, inserting a loaded mag, and then releasing the slide by pushing down on the slide catch lever?

If this is the case, it is understandable that the catch would be tight as it is new.

A good way around this is to, instead of manipulating the lever, just grab the slide and pull it rearward all the way and just let go. Do not "ride" it forward, just let go.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Try this: with the empty mag inserted and while holding the G2 securely, with your slide locked back, pull the slide back MORE...she'll go rearward about 1/32 inch. This takes the pressure off of the slide stop. Next...press down on the slide stop lever and slowly release the slide. Since your gun is new, things need to get settled in and loosen up a tad.

·
Registered
994 Posts
*I'm new to guns and forums both, please take it easy on me*
So, I just bought a pt111 millennium g2 as my first handgun and i think there may be an issue. I also think its possible that i just dont know as much as i thought i did about guns...
Every time i pull the slide all the way back, as if i was chambering a bullet, the slide lock button catches and locks it back. It is also extremely difficult to push the button down with my thumb to spring it forward.
Am I being dumb? Is the slide lock is supposed to catch everytime you pull it back? I know the slide lock button shouldnt be this hard to push down but im figuring that will get better as its used over time.
I hope my first gun i've ever purchased isnt defective, but i also hope that my first internet forum post isn't making a fool of myself as well.
LOL
Please aid me with your wise words...
As a new gun owner, you'll have lots of questions. This is a great place to get answers.

I'll make the assumption that you purchased your PT-111 from a Local Gun Shop? If so, I'm thinking that they failed to spend enough time with you to explain the workings of your new Pistol.

As others have said, if you have the magazine in the pistol, and it is empty, the slide will lock back anytime you pull it. When you begin shooting with your pistol, the slide will lock back after you have fired the last round. If you drop the Magazine out of your Pistol, and pull the slide, it should return to battery as there is not an empty Magazine to actuate the slide lock.

Most people, that I know, cannot release the slide by simply pushing down of the slide lock lever. Most, I'm one of them, need to pull the slide back slightly, then push the release downward so that the slide will return to battery.

I hope this helped.

caveat: When you insert a loaded Magazine, you will only need to pull the slide back and release. You will not need to push down the lock lever. Pulling back and releasing will load the first round and will put the pistol into battery and Single action.

Reactions: Bellows1

·
Registered
31 Posts
Welcome from South Texas. When new, my g2 slide lock was impossibly tight. After a couple hundred rounds it loosened up where I can now release the slide with the button, even with an empty mag inserted. Keep shooting!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Welcome from Kansas, enjoy! As I recall, my PT111 G2 threw a loop or two at me like that when I first got it, until I read through the manual once or twice. It will quickly become your friend.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
New guns are often tight, some very tight. The +/- dimensions of mating parts can sometimes get matched together in a way that require a little break-in period.

With an empty mag, I would work the slide lock a bunch, see if things loosen up a little.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts