Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchassed a new PT1911 and I was going to disassembly my slide to clean out the packing grease, I can not remove the firing pin stop, I pushed the firing pin in and the stop will not slide down, is there a trick to remove it. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the same problem with mine when I first disassembled it. I had to gently tap it out with a small punch and hammer. I don't know why taurus feels the need to make them fit that tight.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
If you turn the slide over and push the firing pin block in with your finger, you can then push the firing pin in from the back of the slide and it will stay in place - locked back and not protruding through the hole. You then can us a small screwdriver blade in the firing pin stop hole to push it down and off the slide. Cover the firing pin hole with your finger and push the firing pin block again to release the firing pin and spring. They should fall out and you can also remove the extractor at this time. The firing pin block will now also come out along with it's spring by tapping the slide on your palm using the palm to catch the parts.

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
I had the same problem with mine when I first disassembled it. I had to gently tap it out with a small punch and hammer. I don't know why taurus feels the need to make them fit that tight.
well part of the reason is that it needs to be tight to a point to stop the extractor from turning (clocking) as the gun is fired, many times once removed if you look closely you can find a few little tips that can be gently removed to make installation easier, I think this is the remains of the MIM process?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I tapped it off and I see the little nippes on the stop and plan a filling them down a little to make it easier to take on and off. Thanks for the replys.

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
I tapped it off and I see the little nippes on the stop and plan a filling them down a little to make it easier to take on and off. Thanks for the replys.
thats fine, jsut remember a little goes a long way!
you want the FPS to be good and tight, so remove very little and try the fit, you can't add back metal to it so be easy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts