Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just purchased a 740 slim and really like it alot but im having a tough time using the slide release...its very hard to push with an empty mag in...and even hard to release without a mag..any reason for this or is it common on a new gun...thanks in advance for the help..this is a great forum..one of the best ive been on!!!

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
My 709 is hard to release also, most times I just pull it back and let it slam home. Just another way to do it. Some people say that is the way it should be done everytime, but I do not think it matters.

·
Registered
36,465 Posts
just purchased a 740 slim and really like it alot but im having a tough time using the slide release...its very hard to push with an empty mag in...and even hard to release without a mag..any reason for this or is it common on a new gun...thanks in advance for the help..this is a great forum..one of the best ive been on!!!
well the name may tell us something---Slide catch- not slide release!
the purpose of this attachment is to lock or stop the slide in an open position, so a new magazine can be quickly installed and the sliie released to chamber he weapon quickly.
Now many use the Slide stop to drop the slide and thats one way to do it.
its not the easiest as you have found!
If you firmly pull the slide all the way rearward and let go the slide will drop and chamber the top round of the magazine really easy in almost all occurences, new pistol or not>
On a new weapon then its going to take some time to wear a bit before you can simply pop the slide stop down with one finger, some never can be used that way and require that the shooter take the gun completely out of the shooting position to release the slide stop, not good in an emergency situation.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't have a 740, but many of my guns, especially my TCP series have slide releases that are nearly impossible to use. I have just made it a habit of pulling the slide back and releasing it when chambering a round. And when I put an empty magazine in there and want to release the slide, I pull back on the slide with one hand. That releases the tension from the slide release. Then I hold the slide release down with my thumb and let go of the slide.

Some newer guns such as the Walther PK-380 have done away with the slide release completely. When you think about it, there really isn't a good reason for having one.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Just pull the slid back and let it slam shut is what I have been told and it works just fine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
IMHO, you should always use the slingshot method on any automatic hand gun. In a stressful stiuation, you will loose your fine motor skills. Releasing the slide release is a fine motor skill. There is nothing wrong with using the slide release, I just feel more comfortable when I slingshot.

·
Registered
60 Posts
IMHO, you should always use the slingshot method on any automatic hand gun. In a stressful stiuation, you will loose your fine motor skills. Releasing the slide release is a fine motor skill. There is nothing wrong with using the slide release, I just feel more comfortable when I slingshot.
Bit of a misconception, slingshotting is also a fine motor skill, it's just a little harder to screw up. My advice, pick what works and practice practice practice. I Actually find the slide lock to be quite easily reachable on the 740 (unlike most guns where I need to change my grip) If you choose to use the slide catch, practice with it and it should naturally loosen up, or if you're ambitious/know a gunsmith you can get it polished up a little bit.

·
Registered
36,465 Posts
and of course this will also be determined by the individual weapon as some of the newer releases on the market do not even have a slide stop!
so you can slingshot or walk around all day with the slide of your gun open!
the new kimber solo comes to mind immediately.
I pefer the slingshot metod as its part of the clearance sequence for a jam, so its natural for me.

Reactions: btleslie

·
Registered
693 Posts
On my 709, I cannot reach the slide release with my right thumb from a shooting grip. But I can with my left thumb and find that to be much easier and natural for me. Give it a try. Give it ALL a try!

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
I only use the slide release to close my 945 when it's empty, i don't bother with loading rounds in that way since i had some misfeeds when doing it that way when i first bought the gun. Now i can rack with my left hand faster than i can hit the slide release on that or my 1911, especially the 1911 since the distance of 3/4" is kind of big when transitioning from one to the other.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
My PT609 is also hard to press down on the release. The manual says that you should be able to do this.
However, I have been mostly pulling the slide back and letting it go because of this issue.
But, I did notice on my recent trip to the range, that it was getting easier to use.

That being said, I did oil the release catch pin when I cleaned the gun before going to the range this last time.
Overall though, I find that it is still hard to activate most of the time.

Rob

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
The part is called the slide STOP. It is designed to lock the slide back when the magazine is empty. It is also used to be manually engaged when clearing some malfunctions. It is also used administratively to show an empty weapon.

Pulling the slide back, then releasing it uses all of the spring tension to close the slide. In the case of a dirty chamber, this may mean the difference between continuing to shoot, or hearing deafening silence when you press the trigger.

Like any other bad habit, using the slide stop to release the slide on a loaded gun has slipped into the lore by sheer numbers. That doesn't make it right.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After 300 rounds the slide has loosened up and releases easily now. I love this pistol and after a little more practice and working out the sight issues im having(which I just posted on another thread) this will be my conceal carry weapon...thanks for the input..this is a great forum filled with great people

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
I concur with the slingshot votes.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
The part is called the slide STOP. It is designed to lock the slide back when the magazine is empty. It is also used to be manually engaged when clearing some malfunctions. It is also used administratively to show an empty weapon.

Pulling the slide back, then releasing it uses all of the spring tension to close the slide. In the case of a dirty chamber, this may mean the difference between continuing to shoot, or hearing deafening silence when you press the trigger.

Like any other bad habit, using the slide stop to release the slide on a loaded gun has slipped into the lore by sheer numbers. That doesn't make it right.
Actually, according to the Taurus Polymer Pistols Manual, the part is called the "Slide Catch" in the Parts Listing.

In the manual page 16, "Operations" section, step #3 states: "Hold the pistol with one hand keeping your finger away from the TRIGGER. With the other hand pull the SLIDE to its limit and release it. You may depress the SLIDE CATCH, and the SLIDE will go forward under the RECOIL SPRING pressure and will insert one cartridge in the chamber."

·
Registered
36,465 Posts
Actually, according to the Taurus Polymer Pistols Manual, the part is called the "Slide Catch" in the Parts Listing.

In the manual page 16, "Operations" section, step #3 states: "Hold the pistol with one hand keeping your finger away from the TRIGGER. With the other hand pull the SLIDE to its limit and release it. You may depress the SLIDE CATCH, and the SLIDE will go forward under the RECOIL SPRING pressure and will insert one cartridge in the chamber."
the thing that I like about the slingshot method is that the gun never goes out of the firing position in my hand or being pointed at the target, I hold the weapon in the shooting position, and use my left hand to jack the slide rearward an let it go.
on many pistolas to use the slide catch to release the slide the weapon must be taken out of the shooting position to do so!
and a added bonus is that if you have a jam then being familiar with the slide release likely isn't going to help you much, jacking the slide rearward by hand likely will as long as you toss out the offending chamered round.

Reactions: RobThatsMe

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
the thing that I like about the slingshot method is that the gun never goes out of the firing position in my hand or being pointed at the target, I hold the weapon in the shooting position, and use my left hand to jack the slide rearward an let it go.
on many pistolas to use the slide catch to release the slide the weapon must be taken out of the shooting position to do so!
and a added bonus is that if you have a jam then being familiar with the slide release likely isn't going to help you much, jacking the slide rearward by hand likely will as long as you toss out the offending chamered round.
Hi olfarhors,

Good points. I almost always use the slingshoot method with my Taurus P609. I do this mostly because the slide catch is very hard to disengage, if not impossible. The OP's original question was asking if others were experiencing this same issue, and I for one certainly do.
Even though the manual says that the slide catch can be used to chamber a round, i don't find that it is practical, especially after considering the points you brought up. I have used other guns that had a good workable slide catch. I was curious, as was the OP, if there was an issue with my gun slide catch functionality.

Rob

1 - 19 of 19 Posts