Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are just my personal thoughts, but I don't see how anyone can carry anything but a small gun. By small I'm thinking lightweight J frame or LCP size auto. I've tried carrying something bigger, like a Taurus 605 or a Glock 26 and it feels like I'm hauling around half a brick in my pants.

But that's just me. There's a guy that goes to my church and he carries a gun on his hip because I can see the bulge. I can't imagine carrying like that. We've talked guns but I never asked him specifically about his. To each their own I guess.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
And I don't understand how folks can carry those itty bitty, super light guns with any sort of confidence in their ability to use them effectively in a self defense situation.

Concealed carry is supposed to be comforting not comfortable.

I don't carry a gun just to carry a gun. They aren't some magic rabbit's foot that will make you safe with it's mere presence.

I carry a gun so I have something to shoot if I need it.

Bigger guns are easier to shoot accurately- and only hits count while you will be held responsible for where any misses end up landing. The easier it is to shoot, the more likely I am to practice with it and the better I get with it. I ain't about to go to the range and shoot 200 rounds through a pocket .380 or a Airweight J-frame in a session- but that was my norm for my carry guns for years.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Carrying a larger gun is all about using the proper holster. With a proper fitted and fitting holster along with a good sturdy gun belt, carrying a larger pistol is easy. This holster AIWB with an extra mag and the small fixed bladed knife is no chore.

Wood Trigger Everyday carry Gun accessory Gun barrel

·
Registered
265 Posts
the largest handgun i carry is a Walther P99 C....weighs about 21 oz [empty mag] and only carried in colder months when wearing a jacket. warm months i pocket carry a 16 oz pistol. this area doesn't have much violent ctime. or much crime at all. no need to be loaded for bear here. if i were living in Chicargo i'd carry a larger pistol [and spend my every hour trying to get out of there].

·
9,694 Posts
Good debate item. Personally for me its all about the gunbelt. When I carry with an elastic belt it is only lightweight handguns, think Taurus 85 or something along the lines of a PT145. But my normal carry is more of mid sized - S&W MP9 compact, Beretta PX4 or Sig 320 M18..These are all heavier mid sized poly pistols, but carry very well using a good gunbelt and proper fitting pants/shirt. For example my church carry - M&P9 compact in a good kydex holster with a claw, rugged jeans that are a bit snug without a belt, then I use a thick buffalo leather gun belt to hold the rig. A comfortable t-shirt under a short sleeve shirt that is not tucked in. I move around a lot running the praise portion of the service, and never feel exposed or unsafe. Nor do I print. This same rig goes with me on errands as well. So with the right rig you can carry almost anything comfortably, once you make the commitment to try and practice holster drills with the rig, it will become second nature.

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
I have carried large guns before, and it is difficult without the proper equipment. Long ago I carried an Taurus PT845, or at least I tried for a long time. I have tried and carried a lot of guns over the years, but I have scaled it down a bit. I have gone all the way down to the Kahr CT380. Had it for a long time- still carry it on occasion locally. Small, easy shooting reliable gun.
But I believe I have finally settled on what I may carry the rest of my days...a Sig Sauer P365 9mm with the X grip frame and a 12 round mag -for those days I travel or go into town (Mobile-or other). And for local running around- the Sig 365 in 380 with the short 10 round grip. Light enough to carry easily, yet big enough I can hit the target consistently. No issues with either.

·
Registered
37,842 Posts
Gosh while i have carried a wide variety of size and caliber weapons over the years starting with the full size steel 1911, and have since then carried a DW 357 2 inch, a Taurus PT99, a 1911 commander alloy frame, a Cz P-01, a sig 238, a beretta PX4 SC, a CZ Sp-01, a sig 365, I finally settled (for now) with a the sig 365, same basic capacity as my previous CZ P-01, a bit smaller, a bit lighter and about as accurate in my hands but more importantly so far just as reliable.
I can choose between a Dan Wesson High Capacity Pointe Man that weighs in at about 47 ounces loaded down to the sig 238 which mine is the alloy frame and also a world of difference in size.
normally IF I am in a 1911 carry mood then i choose one of my commander alloy frames, even though I have a officers model alloy frame ( 25 ounces loaded) but prefer the size and accuracy and round count of the commander.
I am still hankering for a Dan Wesson 1911 alloy frame commander in 38 Super for some reason?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Interesting as I was considering asking the same questions of the members just yesterday...glad this is up.

I carry service size guns with service size cartridges. I do not carry anything less than 9MM. My meaning of a service size handgun is at least a 4" barrel such as a Glock 19/23 (don't own either) or even my old S&W Model 411. Now, with that said, I do carry a S&W 2.0 9MM with the 3.6" barrel quite often, as well as a S&W 1.0 9MM in 4". Often, I carry a Glock 22 quite comfortably even in SE Texas heat. I've been known to carry 1911 in .45 ACP but not as much as i used to do. I use both kydex and leather holsters.

It's all in what you get used to doing. I have carried for 45 years.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting replies. I carry an S&W 638 which is an airweight revolver. I have been shooting revolvers double-action for about.....40 years or so, so I feel confident with it, and I can hit what I'm shooting at. I carry DE wadcutter reloads. Heavy loads for carry, light loads for practice. And I do practice with the heavy loads, too.

With this set-up I can drop the gun in my front right pocket and not think about it all day long. When I do carry something bigger it intrudes on my lifestyle. I only do that in certain situations. Then we're talking G26 IWB, or 605 loaded with magnums in the pocket. And yes, I practice with those, too.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
A question mark popped into my head when I read this post. A 605 is essentially the size of a J frame. I have my 642 and 605 right next to each other. Other than the fact that my 605 is a 3" model, they're dead close. I think this really comes down to the individual and there's really no magic formula. I've seen tiny little 90 lbs. women carry a Glock 19 without so much as a hint, some much larger guys struggle with an LCP. I'm a jeans, t-shirt and athletic shoes kind of guy and carried a Glock 27 for quite a while and managed well with it, but I've since opted for a micro 9. A good holster can make all the difference too. Unfortunately, no magic formula there either and I have the holster collection to prove it. With the right choices, a carry gun doesn't have to be uncomfortable. If it is, you're doing it wrong.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
I have carried a Beretta 92 in an OWB holster. In addition to a gunboat, I wore suspenders under my shirt. Also on the belt was an old Gerber Guardian, a single mag pouch, and a fully loaded mag. Since I am carried more weight now (working on it) I carry a Springfield Hellcat in an OWB, a spare mag in pouch and an automatic knife. I found you just can't take your old daily attire and stick a gun in your pocket without issues.

·
Registered
G2c PT145 MilPro
1,008 Posts
Good debate item. Personally for me its all about the gunbelt. When I carry with an elastic belt it is only lightweight handguns, think Taurus 85 or something along the lines of a PT145. But my normal carry is more of mid sized - S&W MP9 compact, Beretta PX4 or Sig 320 M18..These are all heavier mid sized poly pistols, but carry very well using a good gunbelt and proper fitting pants/shirt. For example my church carry - M&P9 compact in a good kydex holster with a claw, rugged jeans that are a bit snug without a belt, then I use a thick buffalo leather gun belt to hold the rig. A comfortable t-shirt under a short sleeve shirt that is not tucked in. I move around a lot running the praise portion of the service, and never feel exposed or unsafe. Nor do I print. This same rig goes with me on errands as well. So with the right rig you can carry almost anything comfortably, once you make the commitment to try and practice holster drills with the rig, it will become second nature.
Since when is a pt145 light? :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
41,002 Posts
I think a lot of it is the time spent with it on your belt or in pocket . I'm a POGO guy and would love to carry my CZ 75 Compact with 14 +1 and a couple of spares, however after 8 hours or so it starts to wear on me. I acquired the Sar B6C in hopes that poly frame would be thd answer for 12 hour plus carry. The PT 111 G series is a nice compromise between weight and capacity, but the Kimber Micro 9 seems to be hogging the waist space lately . My S&W Shield in 45 acp got the nod last winter, just wish it was a double stack. As mentioned , the belt is critical as I found out when I bought a Hanks belt. I'm also a fan of Alien Gear IWB holsters . Some folks don't like the real estate they take up on the belt, but for me that means the weight is spread out over 20% of the belt.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I personally pocket carry. I split time between a Springfield hellcat and a g3c. I carried a lcp max 380 for a little while but traded it in. I personally prefer the 9mm. More economical on ammo and a little more power that I hopefully won’t need.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Since when is a pt145 light? :rolleyes:
I'm in my 50's and I carry a Para P.13 and a spare mag when I can dress to hide it- which is most days.

A PT145 is light.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I’m 68 and live in the Midwest. Pocket carry of my Sig P365 is easy in 3 seasons here when wearing a light jacket or coat. Appendix IWB also works when dressed in a winter sweater.

Summer is the challenge, since my son says cargo shorts are for old guys…but I guess I am one of those now. I have a Beretta Tomcat with Lehigh .32 Extreme Cavitator loads but am waiting to find a new Taurus 327 6 shot to add to my summer carry rotation.

Main thing is to have something with you at all times can shoot well, because EVIL is out there and you never know when or where it will show up. Stay Safe

1 - 20 of 70 Posts