Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here ever done anything to enhance the site picture of the Taurus 85? I realize that this is not a target gun, but the old eyes are not what they used to be. I have the 85 UL in the satin stainless finish. Maybe a small dab on green or orange fluorescent paint or perhaps one of those Hi-Vis sites that you put on the end of a shootgun barrel? Any of ya`ll ever done anything to the sites on this type of revolver? If so, please tell how and if anyone has pictures, well that would be great. Also, if I would be wasting my time doing this please say so. Thanks, Karl :)

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
My eyes aren't that bad yet but I've heard of many people painting their front sight to help with that problem. The best method I've heard of is to use modeling paint. Put a coat of white down first, let it dry and them put orange (or green or red or whatever color you want to use) over the top of the white. The white under-layer makes the top color much brighter and easier to see.

If it helps you see your sights I'd say that its worth the time. And paint is cheap!

Steelheart

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
If it helps you see your sights I'd say that its worth the time. And paint is cheap!
Totally agree :) :)

That's what i did to my Tracker. There was a orange sticker that was on the front sight, it came off so i painted it just like Steelheart said.
Worked great.. :D

Here are some pics...
They look better when shooting( up close in a pic, you can see it is not that easy to get the lines straight)..lol

here is the paint i used for the top coat( it is a Acrylic for Body shops to do pin striping..I put a coat of clear fingernail polish after to give it a shine)

Just found this pic on another forum..
It comes with the sight..(HI-Vis)
maybe there is a way to get one from Taurus to put on yours.
Here is the post also, so you can read about it..
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275998

Good Luck :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks you two. :) Did it this morning. Did not like the way it looked, so I un-did it. Gun just looks too nice as is. ;D

·
Super Moderator
34,947 Posts
Yep, I have a stainless UL and don't like the glare. I had a black front sight dovetailed to it for under 100 bucks by a smith I found out in Florida, wish I could remember the name and stuff, but it was 10 years ago. Yeah, the "homeland defender" has that day glow deal, but not sure it is available in an Ultra Lite. I wanted the light weight for pocket carry. It wasn't available 10 years ago, anyway, LOL.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
flounder22 said:
Has anyone here ever done anything to enhance the site picture of the Taurus 85? I realize that this is not a target gun, but the old eyes are not what they used to be. I have the 85 UL in the satin stainless finish. Maybe a small dab on green or orange fluorescent paint or perhaps one of those Hi-Vis sites that you put on the end of a shootgun barrel? Any of ya`ll ever done anything to the sites on this type of revolver? If so, please tell how and if anyone has pictures, well that would be great. Also, if I would be wasting my time doing this please say so. Thanks, Karl :)
Karl, I've used the following for years on all my guns with great results: http://www.brightsights.com/index.shtml

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, thanks badge 851. I have read about the brightsights stuff and hear that it works well. For me, not only do I want any sight moderation or enhancement to work well but it must look good of the gun and on my stainless 85 UL, well the paint thing just did not cut it. Great on a semi-auto with perhaps a dark color slide. Anyway, like i said at first, its not a target gun and i can hit well with it at self defence ranges. I would love to have a black sight dove tailed into it like NativeTexan has but the cost could kill that idear.

·
Registered
498 Posts
My primary carry gun has night sights, and modeling paint works well on those without glowing sights. For black and blued guns, I use a light contrasting bright yellow. For my stainless guns, I use a darker contrasting color, day-glow orange. Rifles and handguns.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I use a bright red sharpie and color the front sight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts