Taurus Firearm Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
36,590 Posts
I personally reload so i can make Purdy Bollets!
Holiday bakery -2.JPG

Reactions: CRracer712

·
Super Moderator
36,772 Posts
^^ who wouldn't want to get shot by one of those?

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
{snip}
. Although, this article Getting the Best Progressive Reloading Press That Save You a Lot of Money is purely for informational purposes and just examples are given, maybe there are better press models? {snip}

Please do not rely on that article for very much information or advice. It is nowhere near a comprehensive (or even CURSORY ) guide to reloading equipment, processes or costs.

$197.99 for the Lee shotshell reloader? ? ? Makes tears come into my eyes. I bought my first one, brand new for half that, in 12 ga, and then bought the 20-ga for that $19.00. To be sure, it WAS 40 years ago, but . . .

Take some time, go into a reputable gunshop which sells reloading equipment and pick the brains of the proprietors and his reloading cuistomers. Then go to another shop, rinse, repeat. Make it several shops, ask questions, that's the opnly way. There are those who would like to sell you on what THEY them,selves use as a means orf self-validation. But keep your cool and look for what YOU want, then find the bargain.

Better yet, find an old guy who reloads and shoots a bunch. Let him coach you a bit. Follow the process more than the "person". Pretty soon all will become clearer and you can buy what you like and will be happy with.

But beware of internet articles like "The ten Best reloading...."

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
has anyone tried the new lyman brass smith ideal and victory press? was looking into the deal press and it looks like a solid cast iron c frame for $100 does not look like a bad deal new.

have been keeping a eye on ebay and they seem to have a ton of the old lyman spartans that look to have been boat anchors in a past life and also go for $100. if you had the choice would you buy a old press that was taken care of for the same price a new press cost? its been something that has been running through my mind lately as the older presses seem to have been made with more substantial strength.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Please do not rely on that article for very much information or advice. It is nowhere near a comprehensive (or even CURSORY ) guide to reloading equipment, processes or costs.

$197.99 for the Lee shotshell reloader? ? ? Makes tears come into my eyes. I bought my first one, brand new for half that, in 12 ga, and then bought the 20-ga for that $19.00. To be sure, it WAS 40 years ago, but . . .

Take some time, go into a reputable gunshop which sells reloading equipment and pick the brains of the proprietors and his reloading cuistomers. Then go to another shop, rinse, repeat. Make it several shops, ask questions, that's the opnly way. There are those who would like to sell you on what THEY them,selves use as a means orf self-validation. But keep your cool and look for what YOU want, then find the bargain.

Better yet, find an old guy who reloads and shoots a bunch. Let him coach you a bit. Follow the process more than the "person". Pretty soon all will become clearer and you can buy what you like and will be happy with.

But beware of internet articles like "The ten Best reloading...."
I have not been reloading as long as some of you , since 2019. But I have seen the prices take massive hike I bought my first single stage Lee breechlock reloader for $29$ april 2019 and have loaded over 4000+ rounds with it without a hitch (went back and did some calculations). this same press today is $50+ and on ebay have seen them go for 100.

with patience you will find bargins and the most important thing you mention is to find a mentor to be able to put hands on the equipment and see what you like. when all my friends and family see he price I would make ammo and the fact I have not batted a eye at the ammo shortage I have offered to show them and not one person has taken me up on the offer, They want me to make it for them for the price of components lol rule number 1 never shoot someones reloads is atleast one in my head for ocd purposes.

I have found my understanding of ammo after reloading has grown after beginning reloading and speaking with some on this forum and others who have offered there advice and recommended reading over the years. Even making a 9mm plinking load that fits your gun right takes time and throwing alot of lead at the range.

one thing to keep in mind for all the new loaders is the press will be the cheapest part of your reloading kit. buy a good one to start that fits your needs at your price point. I find myself I keep going back to my single stage press because I find I have a better feel with it but then again I have not loaded more than 500rd through my turret press and kept short stroking the auto index till I pulled the rod out and manually turned it on suggestions by @Czechbikr which has made the press very enjoyable so far.

all the rest of the components and ins and outs is what will bring cost up, since the press is a one time purchase.

regardless happy reloading everyone!

·
Premium Member
11,200 Posts

I use the single stage presses for rifle rounds. I'll decap and size, clean, and prime, then I'll use one press to seat and the next to crimp. The Lee is mainly for pistol.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,116 Posts
View attachment 477981

I use the single stage presses for rifle rounds. I'll decap and size, clean, and prime, then I'll use one press to seat and the next to crimp. The Lee is mainly for pistol.
That bench is too clean! Are you sure you reload?

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thank you very much for your recommendations! I've been reading various articles about reloading cartridges over the past couple of weeks. There are a lot of thoughts in my head after reading. So far, I am collecting information about how much money needs to be invested at once and calculating how soon it will pay off. I am not very active in the use of weapons and am studying the issue for general understanding.

·
Super Moderator
36,772 Posts
Thank you very much for your recommendations! I've been reading various articles about reloading cartridges over the past couple of weeks. There are a lot of thoughts in my head after reading. So far, I am collecting information about how much money needs to be invested at once and calculating how soon it will pay off. I am not very active in the use of weapons and am studying the issue for general understanding.
The best reading IMO is a book or two specifically on hand loading. I started with Modern Reloading by Richard Lee and frequently refer to it for cartridge specs, powders and charges. When I started it was because the 45 ACP that I bought used 50 round boxes at 22.00 each. I figured I could load them for about 35-40% of that cost. Other calibers were a smaller margin like the 223 and 9mm. Those like the 44 Magnum and 380 Auto were a larger savings. Now it's a question of having ammo to shoot at all and I can say that because I have a good stock of primers and powder it's not a problem for me, and even those cheap 9mm aren't cheap anymore. I figure that when I started over ten years ago that I paid off my equipment in less than a year. Besides all of these benefits, it's a relaxing hobby in it's own right.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,116 Posts
Modern Reloading by Richard Lee, one I recommend and refer to also. Handloaders Guide by Stanley W.Trzoniec and The ABCs of Reloading by C. Rodney James are two others.

I don’t think I have saved any money reloading. I do have more, and more accurate, ammunition for the same amount of money. As Czechbikr said, I have not, yet, had to shoot less because of the supply shortage.

Also, as supplies begin to catch up I will probably DOUBLE what I had thought was waaay too much, of what I keep on hand.

·
Registered
27,530 Posts
Rockchucker. Not the cheapest, but a value buy.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts