Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There are a myriad (that means a "bunch", TH) of slings and styles for AR-15s. I'm ready to shop for a sling for my AR-15, so as to lessen the chances of losing it in that inevitable boating accident (probably a hopeless endeavor, my firearms all seem to find the bottom of a lake or river). I think I understand the differences between single-point and double-point sling attachments, but I'm not sure what a three-point sling is. Also, are there differences in how wide a sling is, how well padded, what brands work well and don't, etc. Your recommendations welcome.

For the record, my AR has an A2 style butt with built-in sling point. I'll be installing a rail-type front mount on the free-float hand guard. This is a recreational use firearm, hopefully never to be used in a fertilizer hitting the ventilator or TEOTWAWKI scenario.

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
I prefer 2 point slings for hasty sling purposes.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
If you can get one that can be converted between a 2 point and a single point I would recommend going that route. The two point is good for hiking/hunting with, but if you ever do need it for quick reaction the single point is better IMO.

Single point is also better if you ever attend any kind of training with your rifle. Also for single point the sling point that installs between the buffer tube and lower is the best way to go.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
If you are just going to use that sling point on the A2 stock heel, you might as well just purchase a MILSURP sling and an adapter to fit it to your rail sling mount.

If you want to be able to use your A2 as a single point, or be able to switch between single and two point, then get a Magpul Gen2 Multi-Mission sling Magpul MS4 Gen 2 Multi-Mission Single Point / 2 Point Sling Dual QD and a QD swivel base GrovTec Heavy Duty Push Button Sling Swivel Base Steel Package of 2. You drill a half inch hole in the wrist of the stock (below the buffer tube), put a bunch of epoxy on it and screw the swivel base in.

Here's one of my Cav Arms lowers with the swivel base fitted and yes, I am a lefty.

I like the Magpul Gen2 sling as it has an adjuster that is quick to use and there is no slack hanging. They also have the best adapter on the market for going from single to two point config.

Here is a picture of one of my AR's with the Magpul Gen2 sling. Since I am a lefty, the QD sling point is on the other side.

As far as the uses of a single versus two versus three point sling? I suppose there are tactical uses for the three point, but I have never used one and they are just too much for me to use hunting. The single point is my most used and if I am doing something where I don't want the rifle hanging loose (like climbing) or if I am hiking in a good distance, then I will switch to two point config. The single point is quick and easy if you are moving stealth mode and I like its balance and how quickly it comes to position when needed, yet you can push it back and have both hands available if needed. JMHO

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
There are a myriad (that means a "bunch", TH) of slings and styles for AR-15s. Also, are there differences in how wide a sling is, how well padded, what brands work well and don't, etc. Your recommendations welcome.

For the record, my AR has an A2 style butt with built-in sling point. I'll be installing a rail-type front mount on the free-float hand guard. This is a recreational use firearm, hopefully never to be used in a fertilizer hitting the ventilator or TEOTWAWKI scenario.
For "military width" sling mounts, like your A2 stock would have, a 1-1/4" width sling or carry strap is what fits. For me, that is usually wide enough that I don't feel too burdened by the weight of the rifle on my shoulder. Although, a pad could probably be slid onto the sling or carry strap to make it even more comfy on long haul t-shirt days.

Personally, I'm just a two point sling/carry strap guy. While I have a pair of true slings that can changed over into target shooting mode, I rarely shoot that way and it hasn't helped my accuracy enough to matter. That's me though, better shooters probably do better "slung up" with a detached loop sling.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts