Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had single action revolvers by Taurus (Gaucho), Ruger (Vaquero), and Cimmaron (Uberti, Colt clone), and liked them all. Unfortunately, in a time of needing money for some other purchase, they were all sold. Thinking of getting another one though.

Any other single action fans?

Todd

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yep, got a gaucho 5.5 polished ss in 357.I'm gearing up for a cimmaron "man with no name" 1851 cartridge conv. in 38, hopefully next week. Also have the 32 h/r ruger single six ,cch with birdshead grips and my 22 ruger single six in ss. Love them all, but I'll let ya know about the cimmaron.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sure, I've got a couple of Ruger .44 Mags. I previously had a Super Single Six .22lr/.22Mag, so when I got interested in Cowboy Action Shooting, Rugers were a natural for me.
I bought a 7 1/2" Bisley and a 5 1/2" Super Blackhawk. The 5 1/2" barrel went onto the Bisley for my main gun, and the 7 1/2" was cut down to 4 1/2" and put on the Super Blackhawk frame for my second gun. Both handle great and go well with my Winchester '94 lever action.
I've been working my son up through the calibers of my guns and he is really looking forward to shooting them.

Dave

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hell yeah I like single actions! But I've only got an Old to me, New Model Blackhawk in 45 Colt with a 7&1/2 tube that is tough as hell. I also have a recently aquired New Vaquero in 45 Long colt, stainless and a 7&1/2 barrel as well. You can't live in New Mexico with out having at least one single action. It's the law

·
Registered
37 Posts
Oh Yes, I like single actions also. Own numerous Ruger models, from one of their very first single six, w/black rubber grips and a flat loading gate, on up into some late stuff. My favorite of all is the .41 magnum, and I have 3 of these, various models and barrel lengths.
Many years ago, when I was young and foolish, I used to chase jackrabbits with a off road motorcycle, in west Texas. Spills were part of the fun, and I always carried something in a belt holster. Initially, I carried a S & W, but in several different spills, when I would check everything over, found the double action pistol at full cock. Started to carry the next hole up empty, which may have prevented me from shooting myself, but later about the time Ruger first came out with the single action, bought my first one, and am still buying them, when funds are available. A real hoot for me is playing with the Ruger Old Army ball and cap model. Lots of cheap shooting and for a brief period of time, it almost transports me back a century or more. So far have not tried one of the Bisley grip models, but in time, am sure to find one. Enjoy them, and now that Cowboy Action Shooting is becoming more popular, I suspect many others will discover the Single Actions.

·
32,656 Posts
Just for gee whiz information folks. Ruger single action center fire revolvers that are pre'1973 can be sent into the factory and the transfer bar system can be installed for safe carry with 6 cartridges in the chamber. Original parts will be sent back to the owner for collector purposes if needed or wanted.

The safety bar system was introduced in 1973 for all the SA revolvers. So these all can be carried safely with 6 cartridges in the cylinder.

With the transfer bar system, the firing pin cannot have contact with the hammer at rest. Only cocking the hammer full back will the cause the firing pin to be able to be hit with a live cartridge. Even if the hammer is at rest and is given a knock or bump, the gun will not fire.

There are purists who don't want the change to safety bar status for varied reasons.
It would be prudent to carry these revolvers with the 5 cartridges only and the 6th chamber empty under the hammer if pre 1973 models, if no tranfer bar assembly is in the gun.
The revolvers can have the original parts re-installed at a later time if so desired.

·
32,656 Posts
One last thing. Quite a few single action revolvers used for SASS competition and field use do not have transfer bar systems or something similar. Check the models over carefully for ability to carry six rounds safely. If you aren't sure or there is a hammer mounted firing pin, carry with five cylnder chambers with live rounds and the one chamber under the hammer should stay empty.

Some SA fans carry with five cartridges only under all conditions in their SA revolvers regardless of the circumstances. That way there is no forgetting or need to remember if five or 6 can be carried. The users all know that whatever they do, there is no live round under the hammer to go off accidently.

Cock the gun accidently and that is another story. The gun will go off. It is recommended that all SA, or any revolver, be carried with a holster that has a safety strap that will secure over the hammer. Or even have a flap holster that does that with a snap or other closure type

The reasons for this have all been demonstrated with guns falling out of holsters at all the inappropriate times. Has happened to the best of us at one time or other.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I love Ruger single actions, although I don't own any anymore. Also have previously owned a Freedom Arms in .454 w/ the 4 3/4" barrel.
First time I took that Freedom Arms to the range, I had no idea what to expect...was pretty funny. I managed to shoot 3 rounds total and had to give up. I was pretty new to guns at the time, and the recoil from that .454 scared me pretty good at the time.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
But its great that you are willing to admit that. 454 isn't a mild cartridge I've never had the chance to fire one. I would give it a try, but there is a very good chance that the gun would be too large for my hands. Out of a Smith 629 44 specials are mildly painful, let alone magnums.

Steelheart

·
Super Moderator
35,284 Posts
Two Blackhawks (.45 colt and .357 magnum), a Ruger Old Army cap and ball and a CVA .31 pocket Remington replica. Oh, yeah, my NAA mini revolver is a single action, too. ;D

·
Super Moderator
35,284 Posts
Steelheart said:
But its great that you are willing to admit that. 454 isn't a mild cartridge I've never had the chance to fire one. I would give it a try, but there is a very good chance that the gun would be too large for my hands. Out of a Smith 629 44 specials are mildly painful, let alone magnums.

Steelheart
Well, the up side is that single actions roll with the blow instead of bangin' right back into your palm. And, any .454 can chamber the .45 colt cartridge for those that don't reload.

I don't find .454 that bad in a Freedom Arms, have fired one. But, I ain't got around to checkin' out the new .50, .460, or .480, yet. Don't know anyone that has one. I fired the .50AE, friends Desert Eagle. That thing is the size of a Garand with the butt cut off and gas operated. Was like shooting a nice M19 Smith. LOL! The .50 AE ain't that hot a cartridge, though, compared to the .454 and such revolver rounds. Just has a big bullet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
After shooting that FA .454, I was hooked, once I calmed down a bit.

I ended up selling it eventually, but the most fun I have ever had was the TC Contender. I had 45/70, .444 Marlin, 50/70 Gov't, 357 Maximum, and others I can't remember now, and the Contender is a single action, after all.

·
Super Moderator
35,284 Posts
Yeah, that's true, contender is a single action. That's another one I've got. LOL! I've got a 10" scoped .22LR, a .45 colt .410, a 7mmTCU 10" barrel with IHMSA rear sight on it, and my scoped .30-30 12" hunter barrel with built in compensator. That one's sweet! I've shot 5 deer with it so far, like hunting with a hand rifle. ;D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts