Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed today while inspecting my gun, that whenever I let the slide home either with the release or just a simple pull back and let go, the single action doesnt want to work, the trigger pulls double action. But if I let the slide forward manually (more slowly) or do a half-cock of the slide, it will fire single action.

I havent tried shooting it to see how it does then, but one would think that the slide will return home at the "fast" rate and not give me a single action shot.

Any insight?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I took it out and shot it, the single action works just fine when shooting. I dont know what has changed because I know that when I got the gun, and cycled the slide without any rounds, it would pull single action. A curious problem that I will keep an eye on.

PS I called Taurus and they had no idea what was going on, they told me to fire it and see how it did. Since it did ok at the range, I will leave it alone for now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been thinking, maybe the firing pin is riding forward when the slide stops, causing to go into double action? How would I test this? I will try at a range to make sure it doesnt fire a round, but maybe the firing pin is releasing, but without enough energy to fire the round. Whats to say this wont change in the future and when I chamber the first round it goes off? perplexed....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
anyone have any insight? I tried another 24/7 at the gun shop today and it worked correctly, confirming that something is surely "up" with mine....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I found out today at the range that this IS a serious issue. THE GUN WILL NOT FIRE THE FIRST ROUND when the slide is let home on its own. Even after hitting it double action 5 times, it wont strike the primer hard enough to fire. But if you half cock it, or let it cycle when firing, it works fine.

I guess I will have have to call taurus and send it in for service. Anyone know the turnaround time? In the meantime Ill have to go buy another gun for home defense.....

·
Registered
53 Posts
rmjusnes said:
Well I found out today at the range that this IS a serious issue. THE GUN WILL NOT FIRE THE FIRST ROUND when the slide is let home on its own. Even after hitting it double action 5 times, it wont strike the primer hard enough to fire. But if you half cock it, or let it cycle when firing, it works fine.

I guess I will have have to call taurus and send it in for service. Anyone know the turnaround time? In the meantime Ill have to go buy another gun for home defense.....
From my limited knowledge, the firing pin tab(?) is caught by the tab at the end of the trigger bar when the slide moves forward and it is "cocked". If the trigger bar doesn't catch it then it will fire in double action.

To confirm, do this test. CLEAR THE WEAPON. Hold the gun upside down. Rack the slide rapidly as you normally do and see whether it fires in single action. I am assuming due to gravity, the trigger bar will fall down and engage the firing pin notch. Irrespective of the results, the gun needs a vacation at the Taurus resort.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a similar problem. The single action sear gets worn and the spring that holds it up isn't strong enough to hold it. They will replace your sear but not fix the problem. It will be back. The sear will wear again, and it will fail again. I've put thousands of rounds through my 24/7 Pro DS and it always comes back. We need to convince Taurus that this is a real problem and they need to fix it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts