Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished building my 6.8 AR and I bought some SSA ammo to test in my AR.
What I got was alot of recoil,flame balls and a bruised shoulder..... :confused:
My AR has a brake and a recoil buffer... anyways while shooting i looked a couple of pieces of brass flat primers...okay it's a compressed "tactical" load
I was okay with the rifle since i've never shot a 6.8....then poof... a bang and a cloud of smoke so now i decieded to really look at my brass (the puff of smoke was the pierced primer)
here's what i saw:

100_2682.JPG 100_2686.JPG

so what do ya'll think? a little over pressured? sure is! So I called SSA and told them about the ammo i purchased and "Nancy" the sales manager told me to email her about it and she would foward it to a ballistician and he would respond. so in the meantime i called AR Performance and told the owner about the ammo and we checked some stuff over to make sure it wasn't the upper (by the way Harrison is a great guy, need a 6.8 upper? he's the man)... well i got my e-mail back from SSA and the owner sent back a ballistics report and I saw a comment from the sales manager replying to the owner about how she would call me me and give me the "Readers Digest" version a Bad AR 15 bolt... long story short they haven't offered to check my unused ammo or brass and the owner sends me a "computer generated" ballistics report. Being that i work at a range part time i called up someone at "H" powder company and found out SSA don't use a "ballistics test barrel".... they use some "cheesy" pressure tester i can buy. Shouldn't ammo companies use an industry standard for checking ammo? am i upset? yes.... I think any reputable company should make an attempt to try to solve problems a customer "may" have with their product.... well it turned out not to be my rifle, all my handloads worked flawlessly from start load to max load. Please be careful with SSA as i dont recommend their ammo, based on customer service and a possible over-pressure with their 6.8 110gr Sierra Pro TAC loads... I figured i could speak my peace here without the fear of getting banned on the "other sponsored forum"
I think i should just stay home here @ TA..... ;)

ballistics 68130004.jpg

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quite right, friend!

We miss you when you stray off into the netherworld of other firearms forums. ;)
Thanks Mr, Harry..... :thumb:

·
Registered
27,138 Posts
Seems that the 6.8 is not quite mature. There are 2 chamber designs out there - Spec II and SAMMI. Nobody is sure what's going on. In the meantime, I'd avoid hot loads.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I have not heard about this company before. Is it a large one or someone that you would instantly go to for a specific loading? Is it usually trustworthy, and this is a fluke? Just curious.......

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have not heard about this company before. Is it a large one or someone that you would instantly go to for a specific loading? Is it usually trustworthy, and this is a fluke? Just curious.......
Supposedly its a big ammo company....catering to the 6.8, 5.56 & 7.62 x 51mm
I thought there were a reputable company, but they wouldn't take the time to check out my ammo and to find out if it was a fluke but,
but they were quick to diagnose my AR. SSA is a big hit with the 68forum (Industry Partner).
thats why i picked some up... I should have done Hornady instead.
I'm sorry SSA, left a bad taste in my mouth..... :angry:
if anyone every ask me what i think about SSA I'll show them my brass and e-mail from them.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Thanks for the info txt -- you have given us some ammo to avoid. I hope that it all works out for you.......

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info txt -- you have given us some ammo to avoid. I hope that it all works out for you.......
it kinda worked out for me... i got some unfired brass out of it.... :D

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've been shooting Silver State 6.8 ammo in my T/C G2 Contender carbine and pistol for 3 years. I do not shoot the tactical version(too much pressure for my Contender), but I can say after shooting at least 4-500 rounds of the commercial 110gr.Accubonds and 1-200 of the 85gr Barnes TSX, and shooting a number of deer (none of which ran more than 20 yards) that I will continue to buy my 6.8 ammo from them. My first 2 boxes of the Sierra Pro-Hunter 110gr. would not fire in my Contender, but after discussion with both SSA and T/C I found out that the hammer spring on the G2 is light (I've since replaced it) and is not dependable for shooting the hard primers used in the tactical rounds. SSA actually replaced 5 boxes of the tactical with the commercial (softer primers) free. I would call that better than expected customer service! Since you are punching through the primers, I wonder if you either got a bunch of the commercial loads in the wrong box, or a few mis-boxed rounds. That doesn't excuse their response (I'm really surprised, since I have talked to Nancy a number of times and never had a problem), but might be something to consider. The 6.8mm round may not be mature and is still developing, but my experience with it has been outstanding. My 6 year old grandson shoots my carbine and isn't bothered in the least by the recoil (killed 2 bucks and a doe this year with it, didn't have to trail any of them - they went down before they got out of sight). The 6.8 recoils about like the .243, but has approximately the same ballistics as a 300 Savage, and the terminal performance is way out of proportion to the size of the round. No, I do not work for SSA or in the gun business, I just researched the round before I bought my guns and shot them a lot so I can speak from experience.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
I've shot the hunter and the BTHP out of my 6.8 and have had 0 issues. Shot a hog with the hunter and the hog didn't go too far either. May have been a bad batch, but I have not shot the load you spoke of.

·
Super Moderator
21,439 Posts
I will say you won't be banned for providing great accurate info. Stick around we have many AR fans here and could use your knowledge. :)

·
32,481 Posts
I will say you won't be banned for providing great accurate info. Stick around we have many AR fans here and could use your knowledge. :)
What he said.

If we missed you...... with every shot then you might want to strap battleship armor to your keester and go some place else. That's not the case. Pun not intended..... maybe.;):):D

·
Registered
12 Posts
I know this post is old but it popped up for me during a Google search and I just had to clear up some bad information. First off the reason the loads were ''too hot'' were because in fact as you said they are 'tactical' rounds. SSA clearly states that their 'tac' rounds are ONLY to be shot in an SPCII chamber, not a SAAMI SPC chamber. The reason for this is the SPCII chamber can handle higher pressure loads due to different chamber dimensions. It is just like firing a 5.56 round in a .223 rem chamber. the .223 chamber is not meant to handle the higher pressure loads of the 5.56 ammo. I see you also noted you didn't want to post this at the 68forums due to fear of being banned? Why would you think that? The people over there on those forums are nice guys. If you had in fact just posted this over on those forums instead they would have told you what I just told you. Don't take any of this in a negative way. But telling people to stay away from a VERY respected ammo manufacture because you used the wrong ammo in your gun just doesn't seem right. If you still have your 6.8 or anyone else here has one I strongly recommend you at least take a peak over at the 68forums.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts