Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received the Wolf spring last night from Midway usa. Searched Youtube and there was a step by step how to for changing it. It was very easy. The spring did say for "competition use only" ect.

Hit up the range during lunch. My cheap monarch steel ammo had several failure to fires out of a new 50 round box. You could see the poor primer marks on the casing. I recycled them and they fired the 2nd time. The two mags of high dollar federal hydrashocks fired flawlessly with no failures.

Now the dilemma. I bought the gun to shoot any 9mm I throw at it and use at the range. If I have to shoot high dollar ammo then that defeats the purpose. For carry I am not sure that I trust the gun with this new spring. The trigger was very nice with the spring.

Not sure what I'll do. I might throw the original spring back in after I clean it. For shit hits the fan time, the heavy spring is fine as muscle memory kicks in. I liked how the gun fired 150 plus rounds of 3 differant types of ammo last week w/o an issue.

I have no plans on getting rid of it, as it's a great 9mm for the car, safe, boat, ect but IMO WITH the original spring as I don't need to have a misfire when the wolf is knocking at the door. There is NO way in hell I would trust the spring for duty purposes, but then that is not what this weapon is for.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
That's pretty interesting -- sorry to hear that the new spring didn't work out perfectly well. I wonder if you contacted Wolffe if they would swap you a heavier spring that might work a little bit better?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's pretty interesting -- sorry to hear that the new spring didn't work out perfectly well. I wonder if you contacted Wolffe if they would swap you a heavier spring that might work a little bit better?
They have the disclaimer that this is a comp only and may not fire all ammo

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
They have the disclaimer that this is a comp only and may not fire all ammo
I saw something similar with the 'trigger upgrades' on the Rhino that Chiappa offers - they recommend Federal ammo only when you go lighter than the 'Stage 2' trigger - apparently they have 'soft' primers.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sorry to hear about your spring problem with your sigma ... i left my .40 sigma factory after reading about those who had changed it having problems such as yours hopefully after you put her back to factory she will give you many years of fine service!!!

·
Registered
436 Posts
I received the Wolf spring last night from Midway usa. Searched Youtube and there was a step by step how to for changing it. It was very easy. The spring did say for "competition use only" ect.

Hit up the range during lunch. My cheap monarch steel ammo had several failure to fires out of a new 50 round box. You could see the poor primer marks on the casing. I recycled them and they fired the 2nd time. The two mags of high dollar federal hydrashocks fired flawlessly with no failures.

Now the dilemma. I bought the gun to shoot any 9mm I throw at it and use at the range. If I have to shoot high dollar ammo then that defeats the purpose. For carry I am not sure that I trust the gun with this new spring. The trigger was very nice with the spring.

Not sure what I'll do. I might throw the original spring back in after I clean it. For shit hits the fan time, the heavy spring is fine as muscle memory kicks in. I liked how the gun fired 150 plus rounds of 3 differant types of ammo last week w/o an issue.

I have no plans on getting rid of it, as it's a great 9mm for the car, safe, boat, ect but IMO WITH the original spring as I don't need to have a misfire when the wolf is knocking at the door. There is NO way in hell I would trust the spring for duty purposes, but then that is not what this weapon is for.
Monarch might be the whole problem. I wont use it anymore unless I have to. But that is what range time is for is to find what works best so that if you have to use it in a SD situation than you should be ok.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put the OG spring back on. Now I gotta go dump so more rounds :)to make sure I did it right...... When I squeeze I EXPECT my gun to go bang..... I know pretty demanding. I DO like the sigma, and won't be getting rid of it. Right price, ect.

Gun will end up in the wife's Suburban after I get it dialed in. Had I left it alone it was good, but playing with inner parts means I gotta make sure it is back together right. I read on the net you tell SW it is "gritty" in the trigger and they do a free trigger job. Even pay shipping both ways. Probably do that for the hell of it, as I swore it was "gritty" ;)

·
Registered
91 Posts
The Wolff reduced power striker spring for Sigma is well known for light strike. If you want to lighten and smooth out the Sigma VE series trigger pull, the following video would help. To smooth out the gritty trigger feel, all you need is to polish all the metal to metal surface of the sear assembly. Many reported (including my 9VE) this simple mod reduced the stock 12lbs trigger pull to 6-8lbs.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I put the OG spring back on. Now I gotta go dump so more rounds :)to make sure I did it right...... When I squeeze I EXPECT my gun to go bang..... I know pretty demanding. I DO like the sigma, and won't be getting rid of it. Right price, ect.

Gun will end up in the wife's Suburban after I get it dialed in. Had I left it alone it was good, but playing with inner parts means I gotta make sure it is back together right. I read on the net you tell SW it is "gritty" in the trigger and they do a free trigger job. Even pay shipping both ways. Probably do that for the hell of it, as I swore it was "gritty" ;)
One thing I like to do on striker fired weapons is to do a little polishing in the striker channel, and on the striker itself. I just use a rolled up piece of 600 grit sandpaper for the channel, and I push it straight in and out - same direction the striker moves. I lube my channel and striker with Rem DriLube for two reasons. First it's dry so it won't hold crud, and second it's got teflon in it so it's super slippery. I also do a little polishing and lube on the inside of the striker itself - where the spring lives. Reason I mention it is, if you can get the striker to move more easily through the channel you might be able to get a little harder strike with the reduced power spring. JAT

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
If you want to lighten and smooth out the Sigma VE series trigger pull, the following video would help. To smooth out the gritty trigger feel, all you need is to polish all the metal to metal surface of the sear assembly. Many reported (including my 9VE) this simple mod reduced the stock 12lbs trigger pull to 6-8lbs.

Sigma Trigger Fix / Mod DIY walk through for beginners EASY - YouTube
I essentially did the youtube mod with one exception. I replaced the outer spring with a lighter one. By doing this my trigger pull is very close to my old Glock G22.

There are a couple of guys that sell the lighter spring on eBay. I tried to put mine back together with just the long single spring but couldn’t get it back in place. Mine needed the outer spring for support.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts