Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe this has been asked before but if so I could not find a posting for it.

I would like better dim light sights for my Mil-Pro PT-145, generation 3, with the dove slots in the slide. Anybody found something in this area?

·
Registered
347 Posts
The Williams FireSights are good for bright to dim lighting, as long as there is some light. I've got them on a couple of guns and they are good for these tired old eyes. As soon as I think my OSS is actually fixed I'm gonna get a set for it. I like the fully adjustable ones but they make fixed/windage adjustable also.

I think HiViz also makes a set at least for the front sight and usually the front sight is the one needed the most.

I have a Glock that I have put the lowest rear sight I can find on it and it still shoots slightly high for me and HiViz makes a tall front sight I'm gonna try on it.

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, this is what I'm looking for. Thanks

·
Registered
347 Posts
No trouble at all and I'm glad to help.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I've got a firesight rear and a Wilson Combat tritium inserted front. Doesn't get any better for low light levels than a radioactive sight. If you're shooting in daylight the HiViz are superior to the firesights IMHO. Firesights are made out of aluminum where HiViz are made out of steel. The firesights use a set screw for attachment while the HiViz have a friction fit. And the firesights are the same height as the stockers (.225" rear with a .220" front) so you wind up with that same screwy 'straight eight' sighting where you have to cover the target with the dot. The HiViz rear is .225" but the front is .190" - which makes poa meet poi at 25 yards with a correct sight picture. Not to mention the screwy 'lego look' of the firesight front. My $.02

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got a firesight rear and a Wilson Combat tritium inserted front. Doesn't get any better for low light levels than a radioactive sight. If you're shooting in daylight the HiViz are superior to the firesights IMHO. Firesights are made out of aluminum where HiViz are made out of steel. The firesights use a set screw for attachment while the HiViz have a friction fit. And the firesights are the same height as the stockers (.225" rear with a .220" front) so you wind up with that same screwy 'straight eight' sighting where you have to cover the target with the dot. The HiViz rear is .225" but the front is .190" - which makes poa meet poi at 25 yards with a correct sight picture. Not to mention the screwy 'lego look' of the firesight front. My $.02
Another Great Idea! Yea, I do not like how the POA works out too much with this Taurus and would like it to be the same as my other pistols. Thanks, maybe I'll take a drive over to Davidson to the Williams shop and see what they can put together for me.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Another Great Idea! Yea, I do not like how the POA works out too much with this Taurus and would like it to be the same as my other pistols. Thanks, maybe I'll take a drive over to Davidson to the Williams shop and see what they can put together for me.
If you want to be real scientific about it start by aiming correctly at a 25 yard target, and measure how far off the groups are (assuming the groups are relatively tight). Then use the formula "desired change X sight radius ÷ range in inches (900 for 25 yards) = needed change in sight height." If you adjust them so that poi meets poa at 25 yards it will pretty much be right on target all the way back to the muzzle - maybe an inch low up real lose, and maybe an inch high at midrange.

And one note on the Wilson sights - they're made for the rounded slide of a 1911, so you wind up with a .020" gap under the sight. Visually it looks fine, but you need to allow for that .020" in overall height. Consequently I have a Wilson snag free tritium up front that's .170" tall, but gives me an overall height of .190". Thought I should mention that if just in case you consider a front tritium.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I actually have no problem going from figure 8 sights to normal 3 dot. As for low light and night sights I prefer Tritium to all of them I've seen. I have them on two guns and the darker it is the brighter they get. The draw back is in most cases are expensive, second is they have a life span though a good while they still will need replacing eventually. They are available for any gun but with some you need to send them in to have the dots replaced, it isn't something the average gunsmith can do.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Maybe this has been asked before but if so I could not find a posting for it.
I would like better dim light sights for my Mil-Pro PT-145, generation 3, with the dove slots in the slide. Anybody found something in this area?
There is a discussion about this in another thread:
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/millennium-pro-pistols/60297-fire-sight-sights.html

Here are some photos of the Williams Adjustable Firesights #70969 on my PT640 with the EXACT same dovetail as the PT145 Millenium Pro.
I mounted these same model sights (#70969) on my PT145 Millenium Pro dovetail model.

PT640PRO-RearFireSights.gif

PT640PRO-TopFireSights.gif

1 - 9 of 9 Posts