Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question has come up around here a number of times, lately,

"What ammo are the FIXED sights of pistols regulated for?" Including where POA equals POI at what distance?

38 SPL seems to generally be accepted to be 158 gr/ 850 fps.

SOME 9mm's are (supposedly) regulated for 120(124) gr/1200 fps.

And so forth.

Does anybody have any definitive information from gun manufacturers covering EXACTLY what their guns are factory tuned for?

Barrel length is a significant factor in this, but it would seem that the manufacturers have a means to adapt to this, too.

Flash

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
That is why hand loading your ammunition and tailoring your loads to the gun is so critical. I have 2", 4" and 6" 357 revolvers. I do not use the ammunition designed for the 2" in any other length and so on out. I have a Colt Govt Model 1911 A1 and a Commander, both in 45. Same ammunition shoots differently. Load development is the key. Lots shooting fun involved.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
guesser, I just bought a Rossi 461 w/3" barrel. I have bought several different weight ammo... what would you guess is the best load weight in .38 and .357? My wife has a snubbie 850 CIA in .38 (2" barrel I think), how about the weight for that pistol?

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
With the plethora of ammunition available to shooters today, it's hard for a factory to recommend a particular bullet weight, or velocity. Too many people would choose a different manufacturer's gun if the ammo they had heard was the "super-baddest" was outside of the recommended envelope. Most simply post the maximum that they recommend without "undue wear".

Unless the shooter is totally clueless, the gun will tell you what it likes. Too hot will result in shooting low on a fixed sight gun. Too light? Gun shoots high. Left or right? First, make sure that it's not the shooter.

I'm thinking that today's test firing is mostly to insure that the gun functions, and seems to shoot to POA of whatever load the factory bought a million rounds of. They measure the group size, but not particularly the zero.

There are way too many people shooting in their own manner to guarantee accurate shooting as to POA/POI. Using a 6 o'clock picture vs. a COM picture will result in far different POI. Then, the old IPSC picture will be different than all of the others, as well.

Best thing to do is shoot your desired load, and see where it goes. Installing higher, or lower, front sights, or filing down/building up of same, will enable you to POA/POI for yourself. However, if you, or the factory, make changes in that load, be ready to do it again on a fixed sight gun. Those with adjustable sights may simply be re-adjusted.

You might also think about the ranges that you use. A 2" gun is usually set up to shoot at less than 10 yards. Others tend to be set up to shoot at 15 or 25 yards.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I carry a Colt late model Detective Special. I load my own PD ammo with 125 gr. bullets. The little Colt thrives on them. My S&W Model 10-5 2" likes nothing better than 158 gr. I have a S&W Model 37 Airweight that just can't be handled well with 158 gr, recoil is atrocious, I load 110 gr. for it, doesn't really shoot them well but at least the gun is manageable. My older 4" and 6" 38's all shoot 158 gr. best. You will have to try the different offerings and decide. I would start with a PD product advertised for the type gun with the barrel length on your gun. Try the various web sites and email the manufacturers, that's what their R&D people do and their customer service reps are there to answer product questions. Just like dialing 1-800-butterball on thanks giving morning for help in cooking your goos'er, turkey!!

·
Registered
36,334 Posts
I ceratinly agree with the gentlemen before me!
there are way, way, way to many different weights, powers (standard, PLus P, plus P Plus), barrel lengths, low flash powders, low recoil powders, and this is just the guns themselves, throw in all the different shooting styles and abilites and it really doesn't matter what the manufacture says, its what works in your gun and for you and your shooting technique, and with that we end back at the old "you need to practice and learn YOUR weapon to find out what works and what doesn't".

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
This question has come up around here a number of times, lately,

"What ammo are the FIXED sights of pistols regulated for?" Including where POA equals POI at what distance?

38 SPL seems to generally be accepted to be 158 gr/ 850 fps.

SOME 9mm's are (supposedly) regulated for 120(124) gr/1200 fps.

And so forth.

Does anybody have any definitive information from gun manufacturers covering EXACTLY what their guns are factory tuned for?

Barrel length is a significant factor in this, but it would seem that the manufacturers have a means to adapt to this, too.

Flash
Page 8 of the Revolver Manual states..........
Taurus revolvers were designed to use cartridges loaded to the limits shown below.
Other cartridges of various types or bullet weights may or may not

function acceptably; such ammunition should be thoroughly tested by the
user before relying on it. Because of the widely differing specifications of
such other ammunition, Taurus cannot be responsible for malfunctions
resulting from its use.

Subsequently page# 9 lists the ammunition that the various calibers are regulated for.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I always used 158 grain for my model 10 S&W. I started using 95 and 110 gr with a lighter powder load and it loves those loads. I can shoot much more accuratly and the recoil is considerably lighter.

·
Registered
36,334 Posts
I always used 158 grain for my model 10 S&W. I started using 95 and 110 gr with a lighter powder load and it loves those loads. I can shoot much more accuratly and the recoil is considerably lighter.
MY wife very much prefers the modern loading of a low flash powder coupled with a 125 grain self defense round in standard pressure loadings, I load her range ammo with 125 grian R/N that closely replicate the recoil of her defense rounds.
the lil 2 inch snubbies tame down considerabally from the heavier weight and certainly the plus P loadings.
shes not shooting 25 yards or even 15 yards so the diifference to her isn't that important.
shoot center I tell her, if she puits it in the size of a 5 gallon paint bucket then good! just shoot 4 more times!-LOL

Reactions: BBGun

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Even the military tailors their ammunition per gun, not so much the gun and sights for the ammunition. Many different combinations of things are taken into consideration when building the ammunition for any weapon, especially when performance counts. The bullet weight, powder charge mix, projectile profile, barrel length, desired expansion and penetration. The shooter is the final determination, because for ever guy that swears by Remington, there's another one who won't run anything but Federal. As far as consumer grade ammunition goes, the manufacturers try to have the better performing ammo right on par with the next guy, your main differences come about in practice ammo where cost efficiency is the first goal with performance being secondary. There are a ton of companies that are better than others, but overall the cheapest ammo is just that for a reason. Everyone has a different standard for what they put on a shelf, so all we can really do as consumers is find out what works best in our guns. There is no magic bullet out there, so the best we can do is take the time to practice as much as possible and correct our problems as shooters to maximize the effectiveness of the ammunition we use in the guns we own.

Reactions: BBGun
1 - 11 of 11 Posts