Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install better sights on my colt, pictured is my '76 model 70 colt and my eyes are giving out. I was wondering if I install different sights will it effect the value of the colt if not I would like some suggestions, do I have to have them cut the dovetail?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Man! Sweet Colt!!! Installing different sights won't affect the value as long as you don't make any modifications to the slide. You can easily install a more highly visible set as long as you get a sight kit that has a front sight which is staked on (it looks like yours is staked on). You could also get a no modification mount that that would let you use an optic sight. Here are some ideas below:

MILLETT SIGHTS STAKE-ON FRONT ORANGE BAR FOR COLT 45 & BROWNING HI-POWER | eBay

Numrich Gun Parts Corp. - The World's Largest Supplier of Firearms Parts and Accessories

Pistol Fire Sight Sets by WILLIAMS Gun Sight Company, Inc.

King's Gun Works - 1-800-282-9449

https://www.snipercountrypx.com/pc-5868-2055-aimtech-mount-systems-colt-1911-and-clones.aspx

·
Banned
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thank you much RF! you are correct about the front sight being staked on.

btw, I did do a yahoo search and cannot find any rear fiber optics without cutting and I refuse to cut the slide.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Some fiber optic rear sights can be modified to fit the existing dove tail. It is also possible to replace the front the same way. I would find another matching front sight first. When it is removed it may be damaged. Replacing it with something different is not a big deal for a smith with the tools. A cheaper quick way is to paint the front high viz orange and white outline the rear. The paint can be removed and value of gun not hurt. I'm past 60 and paint more than I change sights on.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Some fiber optic rear sights can be modified to fit the existing dove tail. It is also possible to replace the front the same way. I would find another matching front sight first. When it is removed it may be damaged. Replacing it with something different is not a big deal for a smith with the tools. A cheaper quick way is to paint the front high viz orange and white outline the rear. The paint can be removed and value of gun not hurt. I'm past 60 and paint more than I change sights on.
I like the idea of painting the existing sights. Or you could go with some like NightSighters/Daysighters and simply stick on some hi-vis dots.

Nitesiters Handgun Night Sights

·
Banned
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
RF you are right, Thanks all for taking your time to give me advice, I just got back from being stupid, well some may think stupid so here it is;
I'm still getting over dropping 20 C-notes on this pistol. I hope it is all the hype.
I went ahead and installed a magwell to cover the gap where the mag shows.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
RF you are right, Thanks all for taking your time to give me advice, I just got back from being stupid, well some may think stupid so here it is;
I'm still getting over dropping 20 C-notes on this pistol. I hope it is all the hype.
PTL!! At least you didn't spend that much for a kimber. :D Congrats, I hope, and think you will be quite satisfied. Looking forward to a range report, and perhaps a head to head with a PT1911, since this is TA.net after all. LOL :)

Reactions: Tape

·
Banned
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
PTL!! At least you didn't spend that much for a kimber. :D Congrats, I hope, and think you will be quite satisfied. Looking forward to a range report, and perhaps a head to head with a PT1911, since this is TA.net after all. LOL :)
thanks Z, even tho I bought a baer I'm still a taurus fanboy! no hater here.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Not exactly what I meant by a "replacement slide", but it'll do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts