Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I was at the range on Friday and got my PT 24/7 Compact DS pretty much dead on when it comes to left and right. Only problem i am seeing now is it shoots very low... Like I have to aim above the target to hit the middle lol. Any suggestions as to how to fix this issue? Or is my only option to get used to aiming high to hit where I want?

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Could be your grip,grip position, how tight you hold that grip ,which backstrap you are using , how you pull the trigger, brand of ammo, hot hot the ammo is, etc........

·
Registered
36,115 Posts
see if this helps!

Attachments

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
Ok so I was at the range on Friday and got my PT 24/7 Compact DS pretty much dead on when it comes to left and right. Only problem i am seeing now is it shoots very low... Like I have to aim above the target to hit the middle lol. Any suggestions as to how to fix this issue? Or is my only option to get used to aiming high to hit where I want?
Two questions.

How fast are you trying to shoot?

When I really try for speed, I tend to try to hold the muzzle climb to a minimum and not 'follow through'. That throws every shot low.

After you fire a shot, how much of the slide do you see- in other words, are you following through the shot?

Gorilla gripping the gun and trying to over compensate for muzzle climb can cause you to throw the shot low as you pull the trigger. Basically, what happens is the trigger is pulled by flexing the whole hand and arm instead of just the trigger finger moving.

A buddy of mine back in college was the best example I ever saw of this happening. He was a really big guy- 6'5" or so and a biscuit over 250- and had walked on for a Div I basketball program as a forward and had earned a spot on the depth chart. He had huge hands and massive forearms to match. When I was teaching him to shoot handguns, he was missing a foot low at 30 feet, period. It didn't matter what I put in his hands from a .22 to a .44 Special or .357 Magnum- the group started out a foot low and then went from there. I was watching him from off to the side and noticed a couple things- A.) the gun wasn't really moving AT ALL as the shot was fired- .22, 125gr .357 Magnum, it didn't matter- nothing was moving around any place close to like it should and B.) as he fired a shot, his every muscle in his forearm was rippling. Being the fart smell- I mean smart feller- that I am, I put 2 and 2 together pretty quickly. With a little coaching, he got his groups up toward the center of the target.

A solid grip and a stiff wrist is needed, but you've got to let the gun move under firing. I went through it when I was learning to shoot semi autos and had to make a conscious effort to see the whole slide after every shot to make sure I wasn't throwing the shots low in the name of quick recovery for the next shot.

·
Super Moderator
40,478 Posts
Have you shot it from a rest?
Does it have straight 8 sights or 3 dot sights?

Straight 8 sights you should cover the bullseye with the front dot, 3 dot sights use a 6 o'clock hold.

If it is still off I beleive you can order a different height front sight. Can't remember on the 24/7 series.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Technique, technique, technique! Go back to your basics with breathing, sight picture, trigger pull, anticipation, and follow through. Do this for the next two or three times at the range and you will see improvement. Also, let someone who is an experienced shooter equal to or better than yourself try the gun and see what happens.

·
Registered
36,115 Posts
Nice chart, I have never seen hat one before, thanks !
Thanks , I like that one better than the others, think its a RCMP chart if I remember right, haven't looked at it in a while.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
. trigger control chart.jpg

This one solved all my issues! :cool:

Reactions: Falstaff
1 - 9 of 9 Posts