Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my PT 1911 about 1 1/2 year ago. I took it out to the range and it functioned amazingly, except that i noticed the rounds grouped nicely about 4 inches below the point of aim at 15 yards. I figured maybe after the break-in of about 500 rds that this would improve. It hasn't, it runs smoothly except that i have to compensate for the low impact of my rds. Does anyone have suggestions on possibly changing my rear sight to something that can be elevation adjustable so my rds are hitting at point of aim?

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
My Mil-Pro PT145 is the same way. I even used shot bags for a rest to see if it was me. I'm thinking some new sights will cure the problem.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My PT 1911 9mm was doing the same thing. I sent it in to Taurus and they replaced the front sight. It works like a dream now. I've been to the range a couple times now, and haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
29,757 Posts
Are you using POI or 6'Oclock?

Mine came set for POI, but I have heard of others coming out of the box set for 6'OClock?

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
my pt 1911 came set for 6 oclock out of box, imo i think you would want to replace the front sight instead of rear to aim at 6 oclock instead poi. correct me if i'm wrong, if you replace rear sight it would have to be elevated higher than your exsisting sight. if you replace front sight it would have to be lower. advantage lower profile and better fit in holster. if you only use the pistol to target shoot than really does'nt matter either will work, just a thought and good luck with sight issue.

·
Registered
29,862 Posts
Before blaming any gun's sights, it's a good idea to have a couple of good experienced shooters test drive it, preferably from a solid bench rest.

If it shoots low for them, then consider sight corrections.

·
Registered
591 Posts
get a sight that can be adjusted or aim high, try your other eye, remember pistols are for CQ not long range

·
Registered
36,115 Posts
well I guess if you want to spend the money for adjustable sights thats one way to go!
I would suggest, getting a shorter front sight, filing the existing front sight down some, getting a taller rear sight, try bringing the pistol up to eye level to sight instead of canting the head downward to bring the eyes down to the sights.
and finally just aim a bit higher.

Reactions: bre346

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Lots of good advice,

Like most are saying, put it on a bench and start shooting. Once you get consistent groups you can see were your gun is shooting.

My PT1911 duo-tone was a good 6" low at 25 yards. I first solved the problem by filing the rear site dovetail to allow the sight to move up, thus raising the POA. It uses a set screw to hold it. It worked pretty good and got me to only 1" or so low at 25 yards.

These pictures will help show what I mean, notice the gap between the sight and slide.

I bought my 1911 as a project 1911, I have done many things to it and plan on installing a match barrel this winter. So to practice fitting a barrel I went to work on the factory barrel. It was horribly fitted and lacked a good 1/32" of going up into the slide all the way, bushing was very loose and only one foot was hitting the slide stop. After re-fitting the barrel and a cheap GI bushing, my groups were now 6"-7" high. I traded for some stock sights and now the gun shoot pretty dead on. If I had not planned a total rebuild I would have sent it back to Taurus.
One of the most amazing parts was how well the gun grouped with such a poorly fitted barrel. I remember shooting some sub 2" 25 yard groups!

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Typically, you adjust a fixed sights pistol up or down by changing the bullet weight of the ammo you are shooting. It is best to just shoot a lot of different ammo types, bullet weights and brands until you find one that shoots to your point of aim. My PT-1911 with the Heinie Straight Eight sights shoots to my point of Aim (POA) with Taurus' 185 grain Copper Bullet ammo which uses a Barnes solid copper HP, most other stuff shoots a couple of inches low.

Others have already discussed adjusting your sight picture and modifying (filing down) the front sight or the rear sight, or both. If you are hard over on a particular brand of ammo that may be your best course of action.

Reactions: stallard

·
Registered
36,115 Posts
mine is shooting low too and had a friend shoot it too. the gun was shooting low for him too .
well ,of course if you and your friend has the same sight picture then you should get similiar results., assuming that you are of equal or near pistol shooters.
the very idea that the gun groups the same for both of you petty much induicates that it is accurate to a point on the paper.
everybody has to get thier pistol the way they want it but.
The 1911 is a military desgned sidearm, its a comabt pistol, the fixed sights have been on thr weapon since 1911, they have been used in many conflicts all over the earth, many used the weapon to defenud themselves, many had different ideas of sighting, but generally if you adjst your sight picture to your particular weapon then it should be combat accurate.
this is true of any fixed sight weapon, if you want target grade accuracy then either buy a adjstable sight weapon or plan on adapting the existing sights.

·
Registered
36,115 Posts
Typically, you adjust a fixed sights pistol up or down by changing the bullet weight of the ammo you are shooting. It is best to just shoot a lot of different ammo types, bullet weights and brands until you find one that shoots to your point of aim. My PT-1911 with the Heinie Straight Eight sights shoots to my point of Aim (POA) with Taurus' 185 grain Copper Bullet ammo which uses a Barnes solid copper HP, most other stuff shoots a couple of inches low.
Others have already discussed adjusting your sight picture and modifying (filing down) the front sight or the rear sight, or both. If you are hard over on a particular brand of ammo that may be your best course of action.
Agreed!
in my particular case my 1911's came out of the box utilizing the Point of aim, point of impact, possibly my sighting technique.
a couple i have put fiber optic front sights on them and now they are 6 O'Clock hold.-just barely 6 O/clock hold.
but all of them regardless of sight type is self defense accurate out to 25 yards or more if I do my part.
My particular group of 1911's most seem to like a 200 grain projectile, but again from 185 to 230 they hit "good" meat at 25 yards.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts