Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions on how to sight in a scope on a Taurus Raging Hunter with 8" barrel? Keep in mind it's a .44 and I'd rather not go through a box of 50!

·
Super Moderator
19,747 Posts
^^^^^Bore sighting with a laser is tough to beat. I check the zero of my laser sighted handguns twice a year. I bought a bore laser to use when sighting in scoped rifles. It has different adapters to fit barrels by caliber.
5EF4A18F-38EF-4EBD-800D-561FD7CF1C3A.jpeg

·
Registered
338 Posts
Any suggestions on how to sight in a scope on a Taurus Raging Hunter with 8" barrel? Keep in mind it's a .44 and I'd rather not go through a box of 50!
I bore sight mine to get onto paper. I use a large poster board and center a target onto it. I do this at 25 yards. With assistance I stabilize the gun and I move the reticle to where the bullet hit paper. The next shot should be close enough.

I use a range bag to stabilize my elbows and a rest to stabilize the barrel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: MARINEDIVISIONTWO

·
Super Moderator
21,541 Posts
^^^^^Bore sighting with a laser is tough to beat. I check the zero of my laser sighted handguns twice a year. I bought a bore laser to use when sighting in scoped rifles. It has different adapters to fit barrels by caliber.
View attachment 448529
That's what I use. It has proved to be very accurate. And works with scopes, red dots, and iron sights.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Reactions: MARINEDIVISIONTWO

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I'm not much on scopes but i was told to start with a mirror. Put against mirror, Line the cross hairs up with the reflection. Now you can mount the scope.

·
Registered
915 Posts
RALPH is correct,even 15 yards just to see where it hits on target then adjust accordingly,Next 25 yards same process,then out to 50 yards ! I have taken deer out to 100 yards with my S&W 686 6 inch revolver with a crook in tree as rest,I would not push any further and start with 44 specials.Sighting in a handgun is a little more of a process than a rifle and a little bit more ammo required.The satisfaction of harvesting a deer with a handgun is just as Archery !

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
For me a good rest is an absolute necessity for sighting in. After bore sighting, it's one shot at paper to see where it hits and move the cross hairs to the hole. Another shot to confirm the zero and I'm usually done. That reminds me, I probably need to go check the zero on my rifles just to be sure.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Marine, I appreciate your response. I'm going to use the .44 on hogs from a hunting stand, so I should have a steady rest to shoot from.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts